Vehicle Tax Renewal to Be Suspended for Traffic Violators Who Fail to Pay Fine

snoop1130

1675840703_574416-tnamcot-768x402.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 8 (TNA) – The Royal Thai Police joins hand with the Land Transport Department to link information on police-issued traffic tickets in order to suspend vehicle tax renewal of violators who fail to pay fine from traffic tickets.

The new measure will start from April 1.

National police chief Pol.Gen. Damrongsak Kittiprapas and director-general of the Land Transport Department Jirut Wisanjit signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU ) to link electronic information to enforce the traffic law and to reduce traffic violation and road accidents.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1111034

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Has this not been the law for many years?

Try to renew your road tax, and the Computer says NO if unpaid fines are shown.

Had no problems to renew road tax last year, even though I got tickets in the mail which were left unpaid.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

National police chief Pol.Gen. Damrongsak Kittiprapas and director-general of the Land Transport Department Jirut Wisanjit signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU ) to link electronic information to enforce the traffic law and to reduce traffic violation and road accidents.

A Memorandum of Understanding lol. I'm sure that'll teach 'em!

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

to link electronic information to enforce the traffic law and to reduce traffic violation and road accidents.

So people with outstanding fines will just ignore paying road tax, I fail to see how this will achieve anything?

If the police force have evidence of unpaid fines just go after the people?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So people with outstanding fines will just ignore paying road tax, I fail to see how this will achieve anything?

If the police force have evidence of unpaid fines just go after the people?

I don't pay fines, they go in the bin.

I like my road tax to be valid as it is a requirement for my vehicle insurance.

I will pay fines if this becomes a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Royal Thai Police joins hand with the Land Transport Department to link information on police-issued traffic tickets

Can you link two computers running on windows 95 together. :giggle:

Edited by Orinoco
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I suspect this is going to result in even more untaxed and more

worryingly ,uninsured vehicles on the roads. 

regards worgeordie

You Bet it is......I Know a Guy whose Road Tax Disc on his car EXPIRED In 2562 7 Obviously doesn't have ANY Insurance..... And He's a Farang .Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I don't pay fines, they go in the bin.

I like my road tax to be valid as it is a requirement for my vehicle insurance.

I will pay fines if this becomes a thing.

yes, i'm exactly the same, if it's enforced to settle the fines to get tax i'll pay them.

17 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

yes, i'm exactly the same, if it's enforced to settle the fines to get tax i'll pay them.

The time will come that you have to pay!

The government is just figuring out how to get all this money

from outstanding fines,and they will find a way to do it.

It has been a very big earner for most countries in the world and Thailand will not stay behind.

If you get a penalty notice through the post, how do they know your address?  I bought my car 8 years ago and have moved addresses 5 times since then, including a move to a new province.  There doesn't seem to be any requirement to update the address in the blue book when renewing the tax.  Is this something I should have done?

It will just add to the hundreds of thousands that have no Tax already.   Last week i walked along a row of Motorbikes with at least 50% of them untaxed or showing Discs that were two/three years out of date.  Cops could do the same but not interested as no money in it for them !

Edited by trainman34014
spelling

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you get a penalty notice through the post, how do they know your address?  I bought my car 8 years ago and have moved addresses 5 times since then, including a move to a new province.  There doesn't seem to be any requirement to update the address in the blue book when renewing the tax.  Is this something I should have done?

If you are Farang and you haven't notified your address changes you have broken the Law but if they had 'connected' Government Computers System Immigration records would have shown your address changes and therefore the Vehicle Licencing Authority should have contacted you.   However; knowing that Computer Systems here seem to be archaic at best they wouldn't know if you were in Bangkok or Timbucktoo !

56 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

If you are Farang and you haven't notified your address changes you have broken the Law but if they had 'connected' Government Computers System Immigration records would have shown your address changes and therefore the Vehicle Licencing Authority should have contacted you.   However; knowing that Computer Systems here seem to be archaic at best they wouldn't know if you were in Bangkok or Timbucktoo !

I've notified all my address changes to Immigration via TM30 and 90-day reporting, just not for my car's blue book.  Do I still need to do this and, if so, where? At the Land/Transport office?

20 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Had no problems to renew road tax last year, even though I got tickets in the mail which were left unpaid.

All depends on the LTO's setup, we had a tax renewal refusal for a fine we didn't know we had...