Covid cases drop another 30% with only 4% of Chinese arrivals testing positive

webfact

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Arrival of China tourists non-issue. Despite the rassist fear-mongering  exactly as predicted. They tested positive but were they contagious? The most important strategy at the national level at this time  re: covid-19 is just stop talking about it. Instead continue common sense public health measures like any other endemic disease that is never going away. 

Where is this racist fear mongering in Thailand? Only coming from a bunch of low class rejects from the home countries, and nobody pays any attention. It is business as usual everywhere, Koh Lipe looks packed at the moment.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the Department of Disease Control, the average number of hospital admissions and deaths fell to 90 and six respectively between 15th January and 21st January.

Not sure why the OP report is citing data from mid January, when the Thai MoPH has already released their weekly report for early February:

The prior report:

667147820_2023-01-28THGovtWeeklyCOVIDreport.jpg.78a60341d4a560cc12d6a9339e0f9a35.jpg

And the latest report:

1699421731_2023-02-04THWeeklyCOVIDReport2.jpg.9369df5d30b6527d206beaa91c1f8903.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/posts/pfbid02GtwS7534XSnbvtLYNkoXcVeZzrPc9CbyCyhzk2vQKJ5fY8Aw37zeLWFwt9UFK7vNl

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

But, how can this be? Mask wearing has essentially been dismissed. What NEW evil monster will they invent to keep the boot on the necks of the populace?

Probably Climate Change, (or Climate Crisis!!!) to keep the state of panic going on..

Saving us, or saving the world: Problem-Reaction-Solution stylee.

And many thousands of people are still dying from COVID every month, including almost 500 per day in the U.S. alone.

Per the WHO, for the past month period Jan. 9 to Feb. 5::

"The highest numbers of new 28-day deaths were reported from China (40,812 new deaths; -11%), the United States of America (15,294 new deaths; +40%), Japan (9874 new deaths; +28%), the United Kingdom (2671 new deaths; -32%), and Brazil (2566 new deaths; -37%)."

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20230208_weekly_epi_update_129.pdf?sfvrsn=d2a3077b_4&download=true

Reuters a week or so ago had a recap of the various countries requiring COVID testing and/or proof of vaccination for incoming Chinese tourists... Thailand isn't/wasn't among them:

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/countries-mandate-covid-tests-china-travellers-2023-01-12/

The Reuters recap for Thailand in their Jan. 30 report:

"THAILAND

Thailand rescinded on Monday measures announced by its aviation regulator a day prior requiring international travellers to show proof of full COVID vaccination or letter certifying recovery from the virus before flying into the country."

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was in Lotus'sssss this week and saw several Thais with masks below their chin, and one with it hanging off one ear. They don't use them as 'needed' but just can't give them up. It's like a security blanket to them.

Lotus,ssssss ????????????????

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

It's still quite apparent in more crowded public venues - 

At least 80% maskers.

Amused and baffled when I observe face coverings outdoors when no one is around.....in one's vehicle alone....

I am amused and baffled when I see 3 guys on a Honda wave weaving across the roads at high speed with no helmets but with face masks.  Because we all know that Covid death rate is so much highre than motorcycle death rate in Thailand.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bangon04 said:

I am amused and baffled when I see 3 guys on a Honda wave weaving across the roads at high speed with no helmets but with face masks.  Because we all know that Covid death rate is so much highre than motorcycle death rate in Thailand.....

Being careless/stupid in one area isn't a justification or excuse for being careless/stupid regarding something else.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good morning,

Though promising Thailand , Let’s talk numbers.

So 30% Decline out of 100% ? So the infection rate is at 70% ? ???? Secondly Chinese tourist infection rate 4% ? Out of how many total Chinese tourists ? These are important questions so throwing unsubstantiated precentages and numbers out here with no substance is ABSOLUTE BUNK !! 

Welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1

For everyone posting here, keep in mind...

When Thailand puts out weekly COVID case reports these days, the ONLY thing they're counting are COVID hospitalizations (and deaths)... not just positive COVID test results.

So in short, AFAIK, ever since last fall, no one really knows the numbers or rates of COVID cases (positive tests) here in Thailand and whether they're rising or falling. Because the Thai government stopped counting and reporting them as of October 2022.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Anyone who thinks COVID isn't still taking a toll in the world obviously hasn't been paying attention, even though the key trends have been declining. Per the WHO:

Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 8 February 2023

"Globally, nearly 10.5 million new cases and over 90 000 deaths were reported in the last 28 days (9 January to 5 February 2023), a decrease of 89% and 8%, respectively, compared to the previous 28 days (Figure 1, Table 1).

Epidemiologic trends in the previous 28 days have been dominated by a large wave of cases and deaths in the Western Pacific Region, notably in China.

As of 5 February 2023, over 754 million confirmed cases and over 6.8 million deaths have been reported globally."

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20230208_weekly_epi_update_129.pdf?sfvrsn=d2a3077b_4&download=true

The WHO report above also noted that their numbers are likely UNDER-estimates, because of reduced COVID testing and reporting in many countries.

Kind of like the new era of "don't ask, don't tell" in public health reporting.

They say the large number of deaths in China is due to the air pollution there. Where the pollution is heavy the covid becomes airborne. This is why a lot of old people that never leave home get covid.

8 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Name a phenomena where an entire race or nationality is ascribed a negative characteristic.

Alternate answer to yours - USA Propaganda.

Whatever race or nationality the USA is currently demonizing.

Edited by JimmyJ

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm still seeing significant number of masks being worn by Thais around Central Festival Mall in Pattaya. So much so that I was wondering if there had been a resurgence in infections and made a note to check. 

Do you also expect a wire fence to keep mosquitoes out of your garden? A virus is a massive 20 nono microns which is slightly smaller than those pollution particles quality masks stop (1,000 times smaller than a micron). This fact I well now and several peer review papers were written. Try reading them as they are very interesting. 

10 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Do you also expect a wire fence to keep mosquitoes out of your garden? A virus is a massive 20 nono microns which is slightly smaller than those pollution particles quality masks stop (1,000 times smaller than a micron). This fact I well now and several peer review papers were written. Try reading them as they are very interesting. 

The virus particles from COVID don't float around in the air by themselves. They are expelled by breathing / coughing / talking and become part of larger mucosal particles -- the sizes of which are very readily captured by N95 masks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Where the pollution is heavy the covid becomes airborne.

Air pollution is bad in China, and people with impaired respiratory systems due to chronic air pollution are likely at greater risk of negative COVID outcomes.

But I'm not following your quoted comment above. I don't think air pollution levels themselves drive COVID particles to become more airborne than they otherwise would.

And, AFAIK,  "old people" who might never leave home tend to catch COVID from family members who bring the virus home from outside and then infect their relatives.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Air pollution is bad in China, and people with impaired respiratory systems due to chronic air pollution are likely at greater risk of negative COVID outcomes.

But I'm not following your quoted comment above. I don't think air pollution levels themselves drive COVID particles to become more airborne than they otherwise would.

And, AFAIK,  "old people" who might never leave home tend to catch COVID from family members who bring the virus home from outside and then infect their relatives.

It was a Chinese doctor that said what I said but this article might say it better.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053595v2.full

• Thanks 1

Not sure how anyone can take any figures from the government with any seriousness.

Everyone sees how blatantly corrupt they are, don't believe a word of it it all political jostling.

The whole thing has been a joke from the start, not just Thailand but most 1st world cases, the only continent that didnt buy in to it is Africa.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Try not assuming that everyone who you disagree with is not reading relevant articles. 

I did not offer any opinion by the way , only a comment on what I saw this week on the ground. Watch that knee. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It was a Chinese doctor that said what I said but this article might say it better.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053595v2.full

In reading the full report, it's full of a lot of caveats and hypotheses... It's also a non-peer reviewed preprint study from 2020. But it would be interesting to know if the authors ever did the follow-up work they were discussing.

• Thumbs Up 1