East Pattaya Fiber Internet Options

spongeworthy

Moving into a house in East Pattaya and was wondering what my options would be for fiber internet.

I was informed that I can order 3bb at the house. As I don't know the regulations on how FTTH infrastructure is built out in Thailand, can all carriers/ISPs use the underlying FTTH infrastructure allowing me to shop True, AIS, and 3bb, or does each ISP have their own dedicated fiber in the streets?

I believe they each use their own infrastructure.

True fibre has been available at all 6 houses I've lived in on the dark side. 3BB in at least 1, AIS not available in the 2 that I asked them about.

Allegedly a man once said to me that True know they are in a position of power and their attitude to customer service reflects this.

Thanks, that's good to know. 

I had True in BKK only needed customer support a couple of times to inform them and inquire about outages, which they were already aware of, and found them to be way more useful and productive than the support offered by ISPs back in the US.

I was thrown a bit by 3bb when asking them about service at a different house I had looked at. They got back to me the next day, told me there was service available there, and that I would need to pay for 1 years worth of service in advance as I'm a foreigner. I told her that makes it sound as if their service is pretty bad, and they know it, and many people cancel their service because of it. I assume the real reason is many foreigners just bounce after a few months but it still left a bad taste in my mouth as I've never been asked to do this by True even with a 1 year contract.

Look for the best deal. Then go to their service center and ask what Internet is available at your place and clarify the costs for the router and the connection as well as the minimum contract period. But also ask about cancellation and fees.

Some give a discount if you pay annually in advance. You have several service providers in the Central Mall and also at Big C on Central Pattaya Road.

20 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Some give a discount if you pay annually in advance.

3BB for example. About 8% saving with one year advance payment (~one month free).

I did this voluntarily (contract is in wife's name).

From what I read one year advance for foreigners contract is usual at 3BB.

Thais also have a one year contract obligation but can pay monthly.

ISP looses if the foreigner does "the runner".

Can you pay monthly after one year as a foreigner?

I don't know.

Here I often read about bad service from True.

Rarely so for 3BB.

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

3BB for example. About 8% saving with one year advance payment (~one month free).

I did this voluntarily (contract is in wife's name).

From what I read one year advance for foreigners contract is usual at 3BB.

Thais also have a one year contract obligation but can pay monthly.

ISP looses if the foreigner does "the runner".

Can you pay monthly after one year as a foreigner?

I don't know.

Here I often read about bad service from True.

Rarely so for 3BB.

I pay 3BB monthly. Easy online via Bangkok Bank. The bill I switched to Email. I scan my customer card and the data are entered automatically. Just have to confirm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the 3bb shop and was told I have to pay 1 year in advance due to being a foreigner. They did provide me, without asking, the 8% discount and waived installation fee, which I believe are both offered with the initial 1 year contract. After the year is up, the price goes up a bit, 150 - 200 I think, to the regular non-promotion price at which point they bill monthly. I'll be eligible to contact them for the 1 year contract pricing again, but no idea if they'll require the 1 year in advance at that point. It only makes sense that it wouldn't be required as the 5k baht installation fee waiver would already be accounted for upon completion of the initial 1 year contract, but I guess anything is possible.

The service has been good, both TV and internet @ 1Gb/500Mb. My only gripe is with the equipment which is Wi-Fi 6 and not 6E. I called support to ask about Wi-Fi 6E options and was told they don't offer any. True provided me with Wi-Fi 6E equipment a year ago in Bangkok. Not a big deal as I need to purchase an access point for a better signal upstairs anyway, so I'll just get a second AP for use downstairs as well and disable the radios in the 3bb supplied GPON ONT router.

3bb customer support has been friendly/helpful during the 2 or 3 times I called, but don't expect advanced technical assistance from this first level support. They do offer to open a ticket when things get over their head and have the relevant team call you back.

Edited by spongeworthy