Hot oily food in soft plastic bags

FarAway

I often see people here putting soups and all this kind of hot and fatty stuff in soft plastic bags.

Am I being stupid and they use some super-special-soft-plastic that is resistant against dissolving its material into the food?

Or are they being stupid not knowing anything about that and obviously not caring?

1 minute ago, marin said:

Or are you being silly questioning something that has been going on since the invention of the plastic bag? The Thai's have done this forever and it seems to work quite well. I can remember 40 years ago at getting a hot coke in an iced bag in the middle of nowhere and being blown away.   Its better to be amazed at times rather than question it. Did it taste good or not?????

Yeah sure, seems to work quite well.

You ever seen the growing number of feminized males and women that are growing body hair all over in Thailand and other countries where this hot-fatty food in plastic bags is the norm?

You never questioned if this might be a result of the softeners as Bisphenol A and Co?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Supposedly the bags are made to take the heat.  Not a fan myself, and not often that I use such vendors.  Low on the 'concern' scale for me.

Which softener can be used to make plastic this soft and is not being dissolved by hot and fatty soup? I am genuinely interested, you would change the whole world with your answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Which softener can be used to make plastic this soft and is not being dissolved by hot and fatty soup? I am genuinely interested, you would change the whole world with your answer.

Next your going to say I can't eat my hot soup in my paper bowls.

GRACZ L038 ชามกระดาษ 875 มล. (เกรซ simple)(50ชิ้น) | Raykitchenware

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FarAway said:

You never questioned if this might be a result of the softeners as Bisphenol A and Co?

No I have not, nor has anybody else I would not imagine. Love your theory though. Perhaps try to publish it. ????

You at least would meet an interesting cast of characters. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Yeah sure, seems to work quite well.

You ever seen the growing number of feminized males and women that are growing body hair all over in Thailand and other countries where this hot-fatty food in plastic bags is the norm?

Jesus Christ...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Interesting read but do you have any links that actually cite evidence to back up your claim.

I am completely opposed to any and all single use plastics and would happily read up upon any credible source that shows how it affects people. 

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Food vendors tend to shop at Makro. Polypropylene is also used:

https://www.makroclick.com/en/search-results/?keyword=pp bag

but it's no different to the 'boil in the bag' trend in British supermarkets.

I would suggest that street food folk get their plastic bags from wherever it's cheapest, and if there are cheap bags, from you know where, being brought in by salesmen, perhaps they will buy them...

After all, who would test them here.....?    :whistling:

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I would suggest that street food folk get their plastic bags from wherever it's cheapest, and if there are cheap bags, from you know where, being brought in by salesmen, perhaps they will buy them...

After all, who would test them here.....?    :whistling:

Well, they don't want to ladle some soup into their cheap bag only for it to melt, wasting the soup and burning them in the process. The fact that these bags stay in one piece show they must be heat resistant and I doubt there's a cheaper option that the widely available heat-resistant PP, PET or HDPE that have been used all over the world for decades.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Well, they don't want to ladle some soup into their cheap bag only for it to melt, wasting the soup and burning them in the process. The fact that these bags stay in one piece show they must be heat resistant and I doubt there's a cheaper option that the widely available heat-resistant PP, PET or HDPE that have been used all over the world for decades.

Seems you know it all, with a lot of assumptions about the land we are in...........:cowboy:

26 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Interesting read but do you have any links that actually cite evidence to back up your claim.

I am completely opposed to any and all single use plastics and would happily read up upon any credible source that shows how it affects people. 

I do not understand where the missing evidence is?
I showed studies that proofed that the softeners in plastic are disrupting the sexual hormonal system of humans. Meanwhile, still people pouring HOT and FATTY stuff in there, claiming it would be no issue? While hot and fatty food is catalyzing the dissolvement of these softeners even more?  While you see the bad effects literally evolving more and more over the years?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, FarAway said:

I showed studies that proofed that the softeners in plastic are disrupting the sexual hormonal system of humans. Meanwhile, still people pouring HOT and FATTY stuff in there, claiming it would be no issue? While hot and fatty food is catalyzing the dissolvement of these softeners even more?  While you see the bad effects literally evolving more and more over the years?

So no then. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Most of us, on this forum, are over 60 and don't have much use for sex hormones any more. But despite that at 67, I have managed to produce a 12 year old son, so the 4 years of me eating from plastic and he 35 years of mom eating from plastic didn't appear to have that negative an effect.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Just because a bag stays in one piece doesn't mean that material from the plastic does not dissolve into the material inside the bag.

With non-liquid and ideally cold stuff, it is another topic.

But HOT and FATTY food? I think it is sad that you all seem to accept it, instead of agreeing that it is a bad habit that needs to be changed. For the health of the earth but especially for the health of the people, <deleted>. If not the ignorant parents, then at least for their kids that sees something like that being the norm and adapting it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, edwardandtubs said:

Feel free to suggest what these cheap bags you fear are made of and where they are available.

I am not a street vendor, are you...?  :cowboy:

I don't buy plastic bags.

I do not buy street food, because lack of hygiene.....