Procedure and documents required after death of UK citizen in Thailand.

chrissables

Recently a friend of mine died, he was married for a long time and it was registered here.

He told his wife she is entitled to a one off payment from the UK government. But left no details for what she needs to do.

She has the marriage and death certificates in Thai and translated in to English and his passport.

Does anyone know the correct procedure she has to take?

Help gratefully received.

Thanks 

Not government, but it may be that he has a company pension. Some offer the widow of a deceased recipient a payment from any existing pension.

That would be the first thing I would look for. Then contact either the old employer or his pension payer.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

Just now, phetphet said:

It may be that he has a company pension. Some offer the widow of a deceased recipient a payment  from any existing pension.

That would be the first thing I would look for. Then contact either the old employer or his pension payer.

That would normally be 50% of the pension not a lump sum as the OP suggested the govnt paid out

3 minutes ago, proton said:

That would normally be 50% of the pension not a lump sum as the OP suggested the govnt paid out

I had already edited my post to say Not Government.

Perhaps different companies have different rules for the death of a spouse. I may be wrong as I left the company I worked for many years ago, but pretty sure they just offered one year's pension.

Either way. It is worth the widow checking to see if her husband was in receipt of a company pension.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Not government, but it may be that he has a company pension. Some offer the widow of a deceased recipient a payment from any existing pension.

Thanks, i actually have a leaflet from the UK government but how old it is i am unaware.

23 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Perhaps different companies have different rules for the death of a spouse. I may be wrong as I left the company I worked for many years ago, but pretty sure they just offered one year's pension.

Either way. It is worth the widow checking to see if her husband was in receipt of a company pension.

I am waiting to get that documentation, he told me his company pension did not include her and she will get a one off payment for the government. I have sent an email to the government too, but it would be great to know the correct procedure asap.

24 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

For sure  - NOTHING.

Bereavement payments ere payable to Thai Widows until the Pension Act sneaked in a requirement for such claimants to be domiciled in the UK.

Her only hope is that he had an occupational pension that carries a widows benefit.  Unlikely if he hadn't already made her aware of it - or prepared the appropriate paperwork for her.

I am worried you are correct, but they were married about 16 years ago, i need to check exactly when.

If at time she was qualified for the one off payment i would hope it was grandfathered. 

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I am worried you are correct, but they were married about 16 years ago, i need to check exactly when.

If at time she was qualified for the one off payment i would hope it was grandfathered. 

Don't bother. Date of marriage is irrelevant, only date of death matters.

I deal with this stuff regularly. No grandfathering, nothing.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You are welcome.

Sorry it is not good news for the widow, but I don't want you chasing around on a wild goose chase. 

Look to see if he was in receipt of an occupational pension - that is her best hope.

No problem butter to get to the facts.

I have asked her to gibe my his private pension details, i will contact them direct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

The term Government is ambiguous in this context.

To some Government means the state pension. However if the person worked for a government department then they would receive a government pension ( private pension).

The date of reaching pension age is important. If prior to April 2016 then the 2014 pension act does not apply and the previous rules are in play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

To some Government means the state pension. However if the person worked for a government department then they would receive a government pension ( private pension).

The date of reaching pension age is important. If prior to April 2016 then the 2014 pension act does not apply and the previous rules are in play.

State pension is paid by the UK government.

Presumably a government occupational (not private) pension would be paid by the appropriate pension trustees?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

State pension is paid by the UK government.

Presumably a government occupational (not private) pension would be paid by the appropriate pension trustees?

A government occupational pension is termed as a government pension.

As described in various DTT.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

A government occupational pension is termed as a government pension.

As described in various DTT.

I think only a retired government employee would be confused.

A Google search of "UK government pension" brings up 2 pages of State Pension items....... and nothing about a government occupational pension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

He did not work for the government and was 86 when died.

41 minutes ago, chrissables said:

He did not work for the government and was 86 when died.

At 86 he would have qualified for state pension entitlement prior to 2016, thus the 2014 pension act does not apply. The contributions  and benefit act would be the legislation to consult

• Like 1