Procedure and documents required after death of UK citizen in Thailand.

chrissables

Personally,  I'm not UK,  but commend you for helping! 

Although lots of good information because you didn't hear it from the deceased himself regardless of those saying no without knowing what he was referring to his Thai wife it is just time I would cover, contact and get the information first hand.

With private pension in the U. S.  When retiring your are given a number of options you can obtain upfront maximum on your death there isn't any death benefit, there are other choices one can take less monthly leaving death benefit to wife or a beneficiary. In general if the person retires makes a selection thereafter gets married can't make changes especially from the maximum to leaving death benefits. 

This is basically the same for Social Security in the States, you can't collect as a single then get married as far as I know from experience. 

Personally I find it sad regardless of it being Thailand many Thais like my own wife doesn't want to hear. Even back home sure everywhere else couples are  in the dark about finances so in this case Wife of many years is in need of money,  what she knows is hearsay? Every chance I get I'm always planning got things written down she knows who to call meantime we have bankbooks she can Call friends and family who can tap into accounts In the States. 

She knows my net worth,  that the longer I live if we live beyond our means she will have less,  if she tries to knock me off I told her there must be an examination by the Embassy first body then ship back to U. S. For another any discrepancies she get nothing????

Don't keep them in the dark. 

RIP. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

My friend was sure she was going to get the one off payment from the government, but as already advised they discontinued the payment.

The money in the bank they had was used up on his last days and the funeral costs.

I am also in contact with his family and have asked for help from them, but as of now i have no answer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Check out Gov.Uk website.

https://www.gov.uk/

Be prepared to do some deep digging.

IMHO it needs to be a UK citizen to tunnel their way into the relevant information.

Unless a Thai wife is completely fluent in reading, writing and speaking English, they will get lost in the morass of civil service speak.

AFAIK the only way for a Thai wife to get a UK state pension is to be living in the UK with her UK husband, and paying NI contributions in her own name.

Company pensions to widows vary from pension provider.

The UK State pension is paid one month in arrears.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Unfortunately, this only applies to people on benefits.

Living in Thailand she would not have been in receipt of any benefits.

That's one reason why I posted earlier that she would not qualify.   I was just providing the link, something that so many posters normally demand to see!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

21 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/claiming-bereavement-support-payment/

hope that helps. The wife can claim benefits but there are strings attached I am afraid 

Not for the funeral grant that she was led to believe she would get, she can't.   But since when can a Thai citizen in Thailand claim UK social security benefits?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Sadly wrong, there is no facility or benefit available on death to his Thai family.   (Bereavement support is only potentially available for UK residents / family)

The only possible money might be a private pension, if available.

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Like 1