Anybody used WISE to transfer funds out of Thailand to EU countie, specifically Poland?

Need to send funds to Poland for education support of Thai nephew we are sponsoring for his enginering degree in Warsaw. In the past we sent the funds direct to the student at a local bank in Warsaw using the SWIFT code process from 2 local Thai banks and he quickly e.mailed a photo of the receipts after paying the bills. 

Now suddenly Thai banks won't transfer funds to Poland and/or want more documents that we or nephew can ever provide.

Many times I've read good reports on this board about WISE for international funds transfers. I always blindly though it was all Brits receiving pensions,and sending money back home for family support/pay bills etc. 

Can a few members please share their experiences, if any, in using WISE to send funds from Thailand to the EU, specifically to Poland.

- Any complications because the receiving location is Poland?

- Did you have to submit copies of purchase invoices / bills or whatever?

- Fast?

- Can you transfer the supporting funds direct from Thai bank (local internet banking) to WISE to support the transaction?

- Do you need to use SWIFT or IBAN codes?

- Can you send the funds to a personal name and also to a company name in the receiving country?

- Any other comments, positive or negative you think would be useful.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Edited by scorecard

I don't believe you can use Wise to send from Thailand to Europe, see https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers ("You can’t currently send money from THB."). I've only ever used Wise for Thailand inbound transfers.

There are services to send money from Thailand to Europe, e.g. https://www.deemoney.com/ but no personal experience. Poland seems not listed on their website as yet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Wise works well sending from Europe, the U.S, Canada, Australia, Japan to Thailand..i.e rich countries to here. They don't seem to be keen the other way around. 

I second Aublumberg's advice- try Deemoney.  I have sent money out of Thailand before.  They have an app.

If you don't want to use the app, you may be able to send as a TT / in person. Need to call them and ask. They may have a solution for you if Zloty  is unsupported.  

Money transfer from Thailand to The World with DeeMoney

Edited by formanth
info
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, formanth said:

Yes, Wise works well sending from Europe, the U.S, Canada, Australia, Japan to Thailand..i.e rich countries to here. They don't seem to be keen the other way around. 

I second Aublumberg's advice- try Deemoney.  I have sent money out of Thailand before.  They have an app.

If you don't want to use the app, you may be able to send as a TT / in person. Need to call them and ask. They may have a solution for you if Zloty  is unsupported.  

Money transfer from Thailand to The World with DeeMoney

Thanks for all the comments, I'm learning all the time.  I'll call DEEMONEY tomorow morning.

Friend also suggested I talk to BKK Bank which I just did, sounds good also:

- If customer has BBL internet banking, open that site then click on install app.

- From the app can easily complete an international transfer.

- No restrictions on Poland.

- No need to have any supporting documents (invoices etc).

- Do need to have the SWIFT or IBAN code for the bank in Poland.

- Can do interntional transfer from BBL to a personal name or to a company name.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 2

I only once tried to send money from Thailand to the UK and was unable to use Wise.

I have been with Kasikorn for years (great bank) and browsing their phone app I was surprised to see that they do international transfers.  If you have a KK Bank account, I suggest you try doing that.  

You need to install the app (although it can also be done via their website) and select 'Transfer' where there will be 7 options, the last of which is 'International Transfers'.

I have just looked and unfortunately, Poland is not listed as a country they transfer to.  ????

I wonder if you have a trusted person in another European country you could transfer the money to who could then transfer it to your nephew?  Kasikorn lists Estonia as well as Germany, Latvia and Lithuania.  Also the Netherlands and Slovakia.

Failing that it looks like Dee Money or Bangkok Bank (which I did not know - good advice there, scorecard, because I also have a BBL account).  If you have a BBL account, that sounds the easiest.  Or otherwise install the Deemoney app.  If you're in Bangkok, there's a large Deemoney branch on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and soi 8.

Good luck!  

Whilst there is a current Wise thread going I transferred £3k last week it said 2 days then after 2 days it changed without explanation to its taking longer than expected.

I complained and the reason give after a 3 day arrival was if its over 50k baht there will be a delay imposed by Thailand .. so sending the other way maybe fraught with danger? ????

2 hours ago, Irrumator said:

I only once tried to send money from Thailand to the UK and was unable to use Wise.

I have been with Kasikorn for years (great bank) and browsing their phone app I was surprised to see that they do international transfers.  If you have a KK Bank account, I suggest you try doing that.  

You need to install the app (although it can also be done via their website) and select 'Transfer' where there will be 7 options, the last of which is 'International Transfers'.

I have just looked and unfortunately, Poland is not listed as a country they transfer to.  ????

I wonder if you have a trusted person in another European country you could transfer the money to who could then transfer it to your nephew?  Kasikorn lists Estonia as well as Germany, Latvia and Lithuania.  Also the Netherlands and Slovakia.

Failing that it looks like Dee Money or Bangkok Bank (which I did not know - good advice there, scorecard, because I also have a BBL account).  If you have a BBL account, that sounds the easiest.  Or otherwise install the Deemoney app.  If you're in Bangkok, there's a large Deemoney branch on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and soi 8.

Good luck!  

I've discovered that BBL can do an international trnsfer to Poland if I have the IBAN full code which i have. Can be to a personal name and can be to a company/business name.

Must be done on the BBL app*. Cannot be done from the normal BBl Internet banking screen* (so they say).   (*BBL call center told me that within a short time everything must be done from the app and notebook/PC based transctions will cease to exist/be available. This doesn't surprise me, right now most banks are: buying / running /supporting / maintainning several major software programs to support all these processes/options. Seems logical a bank would want to reduce this to one program.)  

For banks there's also also a 'register the recipient of the funds abroad in advance' item, but:

- For a once only transfer this is NOT needed.

- For regular (e.g. monthly/quarterly etc.) transfers the recipient name must be registered in advance. A nuisance because it's a long form with very little real info re the recipient of the purpose of the funds, form must be taken personally to a BBL branch, they send it to BBL head office, about 3 days later sender must return to the branch to see if approved. If approved you get a 4 digit pin number to use for this transfer. 

• Like 1