UOB Bank Thailand

Anyone using UOB Bank in Thailand? Are you happy with them?

I’ve read numerous threads about the other big Thai banks and there seems to be so much difficulty opening an account with them as a foreigner. I have a UOB account already in another Asian nation and I’m hoping that will make it easier to open one with them in Thailand.
Any reasons not to use them here?

• Haha 1

I have a UOB account and after 10 years with them I've now opened an account with Bangkok Bank.

UOB Thailand is not part of the rest of UOB, it is UOB Thai and it's not the same. UOB Thai will not interreact in any way with any American financial institution, you will not be able to pay money into or cash a cheque from any American bank, not even the government or Federal Reserve.

Standard expat needs such as statements and letters for immigration have always been a problem, they don't have a standard offering so everything has to be explained new every year. They are fine as far as day to day banking is concerned, put money in, hold it, take money out. One year I had to sit with the girl and do my statement of tax paid on savings with her, it became a joint effort because she had no idea. As always it's a staff training issue, their good staff get promoted and sent elsewhere, the rest get left in branches to deal with you and me, good staff disappear after twelve months. I'm far happier with Bangkok Bank, they send me an SMS every time I transact on my account so security is very high.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am a very recent UOB customer in addition to also having accounts at the usual local banks (BBK, K-Bank, SCB) and found their staff at UOB HQ on Sukhumvit refreshingly professional, commercially minded and modern to deal with during account opening and getting a credit card (no work permit and the usual local payslips, so most local banks just say "no"). Will see how it goes with UOB as an international alternative to the local banks going forward and who deserves more of my business ...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2023 at 2:16 AM, JoseThailand said:

UOB is way behind the top Thai banks in terms of branch and ATM numbers and accessibility. On the positive side, they seem to willingly open accounts for foreigners, but with an initial deposit of 50,000 baht.

I fully agree with your statement

4 hours ago, DrJoy said:

How did you get a credit card without a Work Permit? Could you elaborate more?

They just asked me when I was in branch one day, I'd had my account with them for six years or more and always had balances North of 4mill. The credit limit is 300k and you collect points but the charge is 4k per year - I barely use it any more and will cancel this year, it doesn't do anything a debit card can't.

• Thanks 1

Now there is some tie-up between Citi and UOB…UOB have taken over Citi consumer banking.

I have a Citi Credit Card ….I am retired …I don’t have to ‘lock away’ any money …my normal limit is 160,000 Baht. I have to pay all off each month. If I don’t spend 300,000 Baht a year then there is a charge for the card..MrJ doesn’t have any problem helping me with that …..

I don’t have any bank account with Citi …just BB and CIMB Thai 

15 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

You can back it up with your fixed account which they freeze at your credit line. 

I have Thai credit cards without any fixed deposit, but I hold a Work permit.

Fixed deposit option is useless.

as @nigelforbes said. That is a diff criteria, its investment method.

If you have in excess of 2 Mill THB in your account , you can get a credit card without any document/Wp etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

I have Thai credit cards without any fixed deposit, but I hold a Work permit.

Fixed deposit option is useless.

as @nigelforbes said. That is a diff criteria, its investment method.

If you have in excess of 2 Mill THB in your account , you can get a credit card without any document/Wp etc.

It's an option. Whether it's useful depends on the circumstances.