I need help to once and for all – Kill Garden Weeds .

Our back garden is constantly covered in weeds , my Thai wife goes to the local shop and buys some weed killer then she manually sprays all the weeds using a large blue plastic spraying tank that she straps to her back. The weeds then over about week start to go brown and dry looking .

Within a few days of those all ready weed killer sprayed weeds turning brown and dry looking , more new greener weeds start to grow in the same exact location.

It seems a never ending cycle of … spray the weeds / the weeds turn brown and look dry / new green looking weeds start to grow once more in the exact same spot . 

On seeing the new green looking weeds now growing in the exact same spot as the brown and dry weeds,  my wife then starts using a metal garden hoe and cuts the tops off the weeds. Doing that cutting the tops of the brown and dry weeds generally just leaves a short stubble protruding.

And surprise surprise , the weeds that were originally sprayed with weed killer , then were cut down using a garden hoe by my wife , start to grow all over again.

Ive attached a screen shot of the weed killer that my wife currently uses and a screen shot of the offending weeds.

So I’m looking for help to once and for all finally get rid of these never ending weeds . Is there some thing that can be sprayed / powder / that will actually kill the weeds once and for all . 

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome 

Thanks. 

Weeds-2.jpg

Weeds1.jpg

I understand your frustration, and those weeds you sent a photo of are particularly annoying because of how fast they grow, however I would recommend using a weed whacker or lawn mower to manage them, as spraying glyphosate (or some derivative of it) is a lazy, inefficient, and highly un-ecological solution to your problem. I almost never use weed killer on my property which is several rai. In the summer months weed growth is pretty subdued, so you don't have to constantly be cutting grass. In the wet season you have to cut more often (and rake and compost all the clippings), but the peace of mind that comes from not using weed killers around the house shouldn't be discounted. If you really want to eliminate the problem, maybe pave it over with cement (which, comes with its own maintenance problems. Covering the area with gravel will definitely not work as the weeds will grow through the gravel in no time, and the gravel will make it tricky to cut the grass in the future. Bottom line: you're in the tropics, weeds and unwanted grasses come with the territory.

You are in a battle with nature that you cannot win, unless you concrete it over.

Even if you use the most efficient chemicals, earth is full of seeds laying dormant and that will do their thing when the circumstances suit them.

You could lay grass as effective competition, and then keep mowing, or just mow the weeds, as already suggested.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 11:53 AM, NotEinstein said:

You are in a battle with nature that you cannot win, unless you concrete it over.

Even if you use the most efficient chemicals, earth is full of seeds laying dormant and that will do their thing when the circumstances suit them.

You could lay grass as effective competition, and then keep mowing, or just mow the weeds, as already suggested.

So true!  And "once and for all" is not an option.

Glufosinate ammonium is a contact herbicide primarily for top growth burn down, with only minimal systemic action, so it does not effectively translocate into the root system for a complete kill, like glyphosate.  And it is not a pre-emergent (inhibiting seed germination). Therefore what you are experiencing is regrowth from persistent roots, and possible re-seeding.  Also, weeds develop resistance to this chemical and you lose effectiveness over time unless you change up and alternate the class of herbicide for subsequent applications. 

But its true that chemical dependancy is a losing battle and is environmentally irresponsible. Consider some of the other suggestions for alternative plantings and management, because bare ground and repeated use of herbicides degrades the soil and will always be ugly and favor weed growth.

Edited by drtreelove
  • Like 1