Absurd "food drama" as customer leaves bad review for "too fresh" prawns she never even ate!

webfact

ของ-768x433.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: It's too fresh to eat

Daily News reported on what they said was the latest food drama playing out on Facebook that happened at the Ratcha Pruek Seafood Buffet.

This is a well known place in Nonthaburi, notes ASEAN NOW.

The media said that the owner of the buffet was left scratching his head in a case that left him not just "ngong" but "ngong mark".

Ngong (งง) means flummoxed or confused in Thai.

Why?

A female customer had left a one star or very bad review explaining she didn't dare eat at the restaurant because the prawns were too fresh. She mentioned it was hot at the open air restaurant, too.

330440378_923804395421455_8496742285967617102_n.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The owner, clearly a man as he referred to himself as "hia", said he was okay with any reviews about his place as they helped him improve service but this one really took the biscuit.

His seafood was too fresh, go figure!

Netizens agreed siding with the owner on this occasion.

Dramas are the latest 'Thai' word for online kerfuffles, with food ones particulary popular, notes ASEAN NOW.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

Did you just see the one out of 77788765544567899989 negative reviews in America?  Freedom of speech!   Makes consumers more educated, unless you believe all the reviews are a conspiracy.  

imagine how much bad stuff would exist if no negative reviews are allowed.

oh wait, we know!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have seen goong chae nam pla described in English as "fresh prawn salad" when in fact it is raw prawn salad.

Perhaps when the diner says "too fresh" it means undercooked.

It's a buffet where the customers cook their own food, isn't it? 

Perhaps the prawns were live when selected and she didn't like that concept.

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have seen goong chae nam pla described in English as "fresh prawn salad" when in fact it is raw prawn salad.

This is probably correct, since the Thai word for fresh can also mean raw.  It may be a comment about how raw shrimp being left out in room temperature could be risky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

In this case that would be down to the diner.

In these types of establishment you select your choice of food and cook them yourself at the table?

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

A Thai friend ordered a raw prawn dish for me once. It did not get eaten. Not exactly steak tartare. 

'Ngong mark' I guess should read 'ngong mak' , mak meaning very. 

The owner called himself 'hia'? If you call someone this you may have a gun pulled on you. 

Can someone explain for me what it means if you call yourself 'hia'? Is it a kind of boast? Confused. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

'Ngong mark' I guess should read 'ngong mak' , mak meaning very. 

The owner called himself 'hia'? If you call someone this you may have a gun pulled on you. 

Can someone explain for me what it means if you call yourself 'hia'? Is it a kind of boast? Confused. 

Thanks. 

I think "mark" is better as mak sounds more like mack to me, which is why I used mark.

Hia in this story is hia with a common tone, a word for a wealthy businessman usually that people use as a pronoun. The hia you are thinking about has a falling tone.

Tones matter....

Rooster (former Thai teacher)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

I think "mark" is better as mak sounds more like mack to me, which is why I used mark.

Hia in this story is hia with a common tone, a word for a wealthy businessman usually that people use as a pronoun. The hia you are thinking about has a falling tone.

Tones matter....

Rooster (former Thai teacher)

Thanks indeed. Yes, tones; always easy to trip over (don't talk to me about Mandarin). 

And I take the point about mark, it does lead you to the correct pronunciation.

Thanks again for bothering to tutor me. 'Hia' is an ejaculation I would never use, but how about 'kwai'? Falling? ????

15 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Thanks indeed. Yes, tones; always easy to trip over (don't talk to me about Mandarin). 

And I take the point about mark, it does lead you to the correct pronunciation.

Thanks again for bothering to tutor me. 'Hia' is an ejaculation I would never use, but how about 'kwai'? Falling? ????

Common.

Very common.

Rooster