Analysis: Fox News has been exposed as a dishonest organization terrified of its own audience

Scott

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO we either have free speech or we don't. Can't pick and choose based on our own personal likes or dislikes.

I think you have missed the point. As Placeholder has so eloquently put it, free speach comes with it's limitations anyway (shouting 'fire' in a crowded cinema being the obvious example), but I am talking specifically about politicians.

Currently in the UK there is an enquiry into Boris Johnson and his lies about parties at No.10 during the pandemic. There is a very real chance he will be suspended from the party, possibly triggering a by-election. In other words there are some very real consequences for lying by UK MP's, which doesn't seem to exist in The USA.

It's not about free speach as the UK has free speach (America doesn't have a monopoly on free speach) but more to do with holding politicians accountable for misleading the electorate; something I don't see happening in America at all. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think you have missed the point. As Placeholder has so eloquently put it, free speach comes with it's limitations anyway (shouting 'fire' in a crowded cinema being the obvious example), but I am talking specifically about politicians.

Currently in the UK there is an enquiry into Boris Johnson and his lies about parties at No.10 during the pandemic. There is a very real chance he will be suspended from the party, possibly triggering a by-election. In other words there are some very real consequences for lying by UK MP's, which doesn't seem to exist in The USA.

It's not about free speach as the UK has free speach (America doesn't have a monopoly on free speach) but more to do with holding politicians accountable for misleading the electorate; something I don't see happening in America at all. 

I find it hard to believe that there is anyone that thinks politicians tell the truth. I don't believe a word they say.

You really do come across as a rabid Maga cultist. The whole article is about Fox news blatantly lying to it's viewers yet that doesn't seem to bother you with you even going as far as to say 'Fox news and Newsmax are the best'. What is 'best' about so cynically manipulating it's viewers with absolutely no journalistic integrity? Do you really care so little about standards?

And please don't come back with 'well CNN and the rest are no better'. Straw man arguments won't wash. We are talking specifically about Fox and how even Murdoch is now admitting they lied constantly about something as important as election fraud (among many, many other things). Do you really not care?

I only watched Fox for the entertainment factor, as I knew that most of what they put on was opinion. I think the weather report was the only thing I took to be factual.

If people want to believe that Fox was a fact based channel, that is their affair.

BTW, I watched Fox because CNN was so pants.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I find it hard to believe that there is anyone that thinks politicians tell the truth. I don't believe a word they say.

Well, that certainly does spare you the effort of having to acquire knowledge about whatever issues a politician is addressing.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I only watched Fox for the entertainment factor, as I knew that most of what they put on was opinion. I think the weather report was the only thing I took to be factual.

If people want to believe that Fox was a fact based channel, that is their affair.

You miss the point. We know that the Carlson's and other commentators' opinions were lies.

Edited by placeholder

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nice sweeping generalisation there. 

In the UK, the political parties have to announce their manifesto (something that again doesn't seem a thing in America as seen by Trump not even having a manifesto in 2020) and although not held legally to it, they in general have to at least try to keep their promises or be held accountable by both the opposition, journalists and ultimately the electorate. This idea that politicians ALWAYS lie is just not true and smacks of over the top cynicism. No one is naive enough to think they don't 'bend the truth' to suit their own purpose, but blatant lying, certainly in parliament, has consequences in the UK (the point of my post and why BJ is in so much trouble right now) and although Fox News seems to be getting hauled over the coals for it's lying, there doesn't seem to be any consequences for American politicians who do the same. 

Did Boris Johnson mislead Parliament over parties?   https://www.bbc.com/news/60203864     

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fox has 2 sides to it with the likes of Hannity, Carlson and Ingraham offering 'opinions' (Fox openly admitting these lot to be 'entertainment') but it was also has regular 'news' which is supposed to be fact based and of a higher integrity. The point of what is happening now is even the mainstream Fox News part took a stance on voter fraud and spread lies after lies. 

I think most would have expected the usual nonsense from Carlson, Hannity and Ingraham, but there's a line that was crossed when it went into the mainstream 'news'.  

• Like 1

This idea that politicians ALWAYS lie is just not true and smacks of over the top cynicism.

Call me over the top cynical then.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/election-2020/427216/labour-promised-big-on-housing-has-it-delivered

The Labour Party promised to reduce homelessness, boost state housing stock and build thousands of homes during its first term.

But with a record high waitlist for social housing and the creation of just under 600 of its promised 100,000 KiwiBuild houses ..

Edited by thaibeachlovers