Top Thai virologist says 2023 is game over for COVID-19

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

This dude is a joke.  He should  give his degree back and get a job at Big C.  He has been wrong with all his predictions and still advocates using masks!

How's about we compare your qualifications to his on this subject and see who is the better person to listen to!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

So does this mean the Thais will finally be told to stop masking because they're obviously not going to stop until someone tells them to.

Well depending on the location I see that many Thai have drop the mask since last month, but hey up to them ...

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Let me think, will I believe you or Thailand's top virologist? You don't even attempt to provide a link to evidence to back up your idle speculation.

btw, covid is not a rinovirus, it is a coronavirus. I think that answers my question.

no link needs to be provided.. evidence is out there..you just need to get off ur couch

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

How's about we compare your qualifications to his on this subject and see who is the better person to listen to!

exactly.. lets not look at the evidence.. OR lets compare qualifications?.. get another jab yet? or use common sense..up to u

Edited by Zapitapi
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Credo said:

Most countries have loosened restrictions on masking for good reasons.  It was never meant to control anything other than a virus.  Three things have resulted in removing mask mandates, the first was the widespread use and availability of vaccinations that greatly mitigated the worst effects of the disease and greatly lowered the probability of overwhelming the health care system.   The 2nd was that it was quickly becoming endemic.  Even Dr. Fauci said something to the effect that eventually nearly everyone will catch it.  Finally, it has mutated to the extent that it is more contagious but less deadly.   

I don't slavishly follow anyone.  I do listen to the advice and directives of scientists who are knowledgeable in infectious disease.  

good for u.. and bravo in repeating the gov and media lines.. u a great citizen..would be even greater if u just knew that your view is evidently wrong..but right or wrong..who cares as long as we can believe someone with obvious credentials ...no need to think by ourselves

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Venom said:

I'm still double masking and getting boosters every three months just to play it safe. People that don't are irresponsible. 

People that don't have their priorities and health in order

Never did any of that. Stopped at 2 Az. Travel everywhere, public transportation, never use alcohol. Never had covid.

It is interesting that Thai people are still wearing masks on the whole while westerners hold their heads up proudly without a mask. Then you look at the statistics for infections and deaths in say, the UK, a country with a similar population size and you think, that's not the example to follow. If Thais want to wear masks let them. I don't see them harming anyone.

In the immortal words of Michael Gove in 2016, "I think the people of this country have had enough of experts." So the UK statistics prove. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Please explain the mechanism by which government recommendations to wear masks enables political control. I've been at a loss to understand this conspiracy theory and nobody seems wiling to explain it. Will you? My understanding is that recommendations to wear masks saves lives, simple as that. You know, Occam's razor. The same recommendations have been made by every nation on the planet, yet it seems to have not resulted in political control.

Top virologists in most other countries are increasingly concerned about the long term effects of COVID-19 on the immune system, particularly in children ( in which it appears to be connected to outbreaks of Kawasaki syndrome - I'll wait while you all make your motorbike jokes - which can also be fatal). Not to mention Long COVID.  

Its actions appears to be more akin to vasculitis than influenza ( see several reports in The Lancet, amongst other medical journals). It is mutating all the time. It spreads as an aerosol. It has worse effects on the elderly, whose immune systems are already weakening. 

We live in a country with high AQIs, also, so why would any intelligent person object to wearing an N95 mask? 

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

which engineering degree would that be?

He attended upper-secondary school at Triam Udom Suksa School, and graduated Bachelor of Science in 1972 and Doctor of Medicine in 1974 from Chulalongkorn University.[2]

That would be the Engineering   Bachelor  degree he obtained at  Hosftra university  in New York  in 1989 after which, he then returned to Thailand to run his family Construction company...

This guy is right, the pandemic is all but over, but so many people, in politics, the medical profession, and many other professions, not just in Thailand, but also in all the western countries, and probably others too, have become very rich, all these capitalists will be looking for something similar in the future to keep increasing their bank balances. Mark my words.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, actonion said:

That would be the Engineering   Bachelor  degree he obtained at  Hosftra university  in New York  in 1989 after which, he then returned to Thailand to run his family Construction company...

What year was that again?

"Yong trained in pediatrics at the Chulalongkorn University Faculty of Medicine and completed board certification by the Medical Council of Thailand in 1978. He was subsequently accepted as a faculty member, and received a research fellowship grant at the hepatology department at King's College Hospital Medical School during 1983–84.[3]

He has since worked continuously at Chulalongkorn, mostly focusing on teaching and research, and obtained professorship in 1990. He has served as the head of the faculty's Viral Hepatitis Research Unit and Molecular Biology Research Unit since 1992 and 1996, respectively".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yong_Poovorawan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Prayuth and Anutin haven't been "reassuring people that the virus will end this year".

It reminds me of the constant claims that the election will be held NEXT year after the 2014 coup.

What coup was that? The one that the unelected PM said would not happen? 

which engineering degree would that be?

He attended upper-secondary school at Triam Udom Suksa School, and graduated Bachelor of Science in 1972 and Doctor of Medicine in 1974 from Chulalongkorn University.[2]

Where did you get that from? So you are saying that he never had an engineering degree in anything? 

Next we will be hearing that the unelected PM did not have a Military Academy education.

3 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

The latest Cochrane review mainly concludes that the data quality of studies is so poor that no conclusion reliably can be reached - particularly in relation to impact for infants and older / vulnerable people.

So common sense is the best approach and for me than means wearing a 95 quality mask in tightly crowded / low ventilation settings (and aside from covid, when the MP 2.5 is high in the city)

The problem with the studies though was the issue of complance. Obviously if people aren't wearing the masks correctly it becomes impossible to tell how effective they really are. 

But on a practical level, it's probably irrelevant because most people wear cheap 1 or 2 play cloth masks that are imperfectly sealed and then they constantly touch their face or take the masks off for various reasons.  So even if the masks did have some theoretical effect, it wouldn't make any difference.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We were referring to Anutin. See the previous post on the thread. 

Mr. Anutin Charnvirakul graduated from Hofstra University, United States with Bachelor Degree in Industrial Engineering. He has also received Honorary Doctorate Degree in several fields, including Civil Engineering, Management, Public Administration, and Economics. 

A minor level of expertise in cement does not qualify one to be the health minister of a nation during a pandemic. 

Ok, I was referring to the individual in the OP. Like all politicians (except Trump), he's quoting his advisors.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Where did you get that from? So you are saying that he never had an engineering degree in anything? 

Next we will be hearing that the unelected PM did not have a Military Academy education.

I was referring to the OP, how did this get off topic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

This guy is right, the pandemic is all but over, but so many people, in politics, the medical profession, and many other professions, not just in Thailand, but also in all the western countries, and probably others too, have become very rich, all these capitalists will be looking for something similar in the future to keep increasing their bank balances. Mark my words.

So they'll invent another virus to pad their bank accounts? Is that what you mean? Otherwise I'm at a loss to understand your post. All these vaccine skeptic conspiracy theories are beyond tiresome.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

So does this mean the Thais will finally be told to stop masking because they're obviously not going to stop until someone tells them to.

Thais were already told wearing masks was not necessary except in places where the owner asked you to wear one. It makes me laugh watching Thai TV 1 presenters wearing a mask and the co hosts.

I have mentioned this before but I hope my sons school takes note, he now has constant catarrh in his throat which I am sure is caused by wearing a mask for 7/8 hours at school.