Russians make Thailand a refuge as Ukraine war enters second year

webfact

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Are Russians able to carry Rubles out of Russia?

Is there any limit on them bringing in Rubles?

Are they able to exchange Rubles for THB here?

What do money changers do with the Rubles they buy? (Not many Thais traveling to Russia these days.)

Can they use their credit cards here?

They can take their currency out but they can also take out USD.

No limit on importing currency to Thailand.

Currency exchangers can send foreign currency to BoT which transacts with other countries' central banks.

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

What do money changers do with the Rubles they buy? (Not many Thais traveling to Russia these days.)

They can take their currency out but they can also take out USD.

No limit on importing currency to Thailand.

Currency exchangers can send foreign currency to BoT which transacts with other countries' central banks.

Great for Thailand and their economy.  Putin loses a lot of smart Russians.  Also, I prefer the Russians to other types of folks who come here and walk in the middle of the street, disrespect the poor Thai girls and argue over prices that are posted in 7/11.

More Russians.....welcome to Thailand!!!! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, ignore it said:

Generally most of my posts are for amusement purposes  only.

OK.

Here's what I had heard and I'm not suggesting that it's  necessarily true but it is interesting. The story goes a hotel in Pattaya was telling  distressed Russian guests that they could go to immigration and request a "safety" extension. I assume that if the hotel did that they were confusing this with Covid extensions which have stopped. As far as I know there is no war based safety extension.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Russians are buying up property in Southeast Asian country to avoid conscription and the economic ravages of the war.

By Vijitra Duangdee

Vijitra - exactly how many Russians have you personally interviewed out of the total number staying in Thailand in order to draw your conclusions? 

That will separate your own opinion from fact.

By the way - foreigners can not buy all forms of "property."
What are they buying; whom; what?  Be accurate and back your assertions with verifiable facts - like Thai government issued data.

Try again but more accurately the next time.

Edited by connda
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Vijitra - exactly how many Russians have you personally interviewed out of the total number staying in Thailand in order to draw your conclusions? 

That will separate your own opinion from fact.

By the way - foreigners can not buy property. 

Try again but more accurately the next time.

I don't think she needed to speak to them directly, she did speak to real estate agents in Phuket where Russians are buying up property, its in the link

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

They can buy and carry out of Russia USD, 10 000 per person -without declaration.

Visa/MasterCards issued by Russian banks don't work outside Russia any more. 

Some people issue credit cards in the neighboring countries like Kazakhstan. 

If Russians are fleeing their "homeland" in Crimea, good idea as Putin wants Russian citizens to remain in Crimea as human shields to slow Ukraine's military advance because Ukraine will not deliberately target civilians.

But going back to mainland Russia is not a great alternative for a secure economic lifestyle. 

Choosing Thailand as long as they can afford living here is good for Thai businesses and government taxes. Make sure to have good healthcare insurance coverage.

25 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I believe the exact opposite.  The longer these refugees remain in places like Phuket the more significant the financial burden and losses will be.  I am sure the Hospitals already have a huge list of outstanding debts for treatment.  In the months ahead lots of Russian tenants will be defaulting on their rent as meagre savings run dry.  Same applies to other rental contracts for cars and motorbikes.  Crime will increase and specfically atm skimming and credit card fraud.

Add theft, muggings ....

People get mean when they have no money.  Hoping the Thai authorities are awake to this potential mess.

7 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

Great for Thailand and their economy.  Putin loses a lot of smart Russians.  Also, I prefer the Russians to other types of folks who come here and walk in the middle of the street, disrespect the poor Thai girls and argue over prices that are posted in 7/11.

More Russians.....welcome to Thailand!!!! 

Image result for hot russian womenImage result for hot russian womenImage result for hot russian womenImage result for hot russian women

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am surprised so many seem to have access to plenty funds if they are buying up off plan condo projects. My previous experience of those around Pattaya was they were here for the sunshine, but were short of money. I am expecting a lot will be looking for various extension possibilities or simply overstaying when the 45+30 day limit is reached.... or maybe short trips to neighboring countries.  

Back in 2019 there seemed to be quite a few of them waiting outside the Thai embassy in KL. I just passed by  and didn't go inside and this is only a vague impression/memory so I might remember some things a bit wrong. There definitely can not be that many who have the funds to survive for long in Thailand and they can not work locally, unless doing shady business or working illegally for other Russians.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

You obviously haven't seen the scenes at the Georgian border...tens of thousands departing through there....other borders are open..Finland for one.

The EU land borders are technically open but very few can get through / are issued a visa.

1 hour ago, rabang said:

Back in 2019 there seemed to be quite a few of them waiting outside the Thai embassy in KL. I just passed by  and didn't go inside and this is only a vague impression/memory so I might remember some things a bit wrong. There definitely can not be that many who have the funds to survive for long in Thailand and they can not work locally, unless doing shady business or working illegally for other Russians.

There are more than you think and many are working remotely. I agree some will turn to overstays, working illegally, scams, etc. and some that shouldn't be going home will be forced to. A lot depends on how the war lasts and what Russia looks like after the war, and in that I wouldn't be optimistic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There are more than you think and many are working remotely. I agree some will turn to overstays, working illegally, scams, etc. and some that shouldn't be going home will be forced to. A lot depends on how the war lasts and what Russia looks like after the war, and in that I wouldn't be optimistic. 

There are certainly many affluent Russians too. I saw an article claiming that last year 40% of foreign condo buyers in Phuket were Russian. Not all of them are though. The demographic I saw last time I visited Pattaya four years ago didn't give an impression they could survive an extended period with their savings alone.