Bringing a Samsung A53 5G GSM Unlocked International Model?

InlandSea

Would this be a good phone to bring to Thailand? It's GSM, so it should work, right? I'd plan to sign up for DTAC or another prepaid plan when I arrive. Should I download any apps from Google Play/US beforehand or can I just get those in Thailand? thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Unlocked-International-A536E-DS/dp/B0B57CLKJ6

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

If you don't already have it, why wouldn't you buy it in Thailand?

I just thought it'd be convenient to have a phone up and running right away instead of having to shop for one. Haven't been in LOS for a while. Is it better/cheaper to buy it there? 

3 minutes ago, InlandSea said:

I just thought it'd be convenient to have a phone up and running right away instead of having to shop for one. Haven't been in LOS for a while. Is it better/cheaper to buy it there? 

There's a million phone shops around or you could buy online.

The price is around 11 000 to 12 000 Baht.

Just thought you could buy one and get the sim card whilst you're at it.

If something goes wrong with it, you should be covered by warranty.

Not sure how you'd go with the one from the States.

I'd buy in Thailand, but that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Your model of Samsung from AIS is 18,000 baht

https://store.ais.co.th/th/samsung-galaxy-a73-5g-8-128gb.html

You won't have any problem bringing in a phone from outside Thailand and popping in a SIM, did it with mine all over the world while working

He's after the A53 and it's about 11 000 to 12 000 Baht.

That variant will work fine here. Probably no warranty support here though.

Always recommend buying this stuff where you spend the most time.

Are you reloacting to Thailand full time?

Regarding geo-loced apps, that's not really an issue. With a US-originated Gmail account you can install US apps anywhere.

You may have to create a second GMail account in Thailand for Thai-loced apps.

I'd probably buy the phone in the U.S. given the price delta is small.

• Love It 1

Great advice. I'll just buy it there. I hadn't thought about the warranty issue, but it reminds me of the hassle I had years ago trying to get a thinkpad repaired when abroad... It came with an international warranty, but I still had to ship it to an IBM repair shop and it took a long time to get it back...I wouldn't want to deal with that again.

11 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

you can install US apps anywhere.

There are geo-locked apps in several areas including both the US and Thailand, so you have to jump through hoops to install them from another area, the US is no different. So no not all US apps can be installed anywhere or even used anywhere unless you know (and want to) jump through the hoops required.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are geo-locked apps in several areas including both the US and Thailand, so you have to jump through hoops to install them from another area, the US is no different. So no not all US apps can be installed anywhere or even used anywhere unless you know (and want to) jump through the hoops required.

My experience is different than yours.

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

My experience is different than yours.

Then it is clear that you have not tried to install geo-locked apps, (or possibly you have unusual and uncommon skills.)

Certainly the majority of apps are not geo-locked and can be installed from any location.

However that is no consultation if the app you want, or need, will not install because the developer has geo-locked it.

In general if you know the hoops to jump through you can circumnavigate the lock so far I haven’t AFAICR been unable find a way round the lock but it certainly isn’t easy, there may have been the odd couple that were just too difficult or unimportant where the developer has been more enthusiastic in their code that I gave up on.

In my professional life, over the years, I have installed over 1,000 different apps on my devices from at least 4 vastly different countries so it is quite likely that my use case is rather unusual, however that doesn’t invalidate the fact that not all apps from any country are easy to install from another country 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I bought the Samsung Galaxy A53 5G with 8Gb/128Gb memory and storage from Banana IT last year for ฿13,999 - I'm more than happy with it.

I see it's now discounted to ฿12,999 

https://www.bnn.in.th/en/p/smartphone-and-accessories/smartphone/samsung-smartphone/samsung-smartphone-galaxy-a53-8128gb-awesome-blue-5g-8806094067163_zj55qv

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stocky said:

I bought the Samsung Galaxy A53 5G with 8Gb/128Gb memory and storage from Banana IT last year for ฿13,999 - I'm more than happy with it.

I see it's now discounted to ฿12,999 

https://www.bnn.in.th/en/p/smartphone-and-accessories/smartphone/samsung-smartphone/samsung-smartphone-galaxy-a53-8128gb-awesome-blue-5g-8806094067163_zj55qv

It does look like a pretty good phone and it's not too expensive. This is probably a stupid/crappy question, but I usually try to buy direct from the manufacturer (i.e., Samsung), because I think there's less chance that some middleman will add software or more specifically spyware... Are there any retail stores that you feel are particularly trustworthy? Ideally a franchise with physical/brick-and-mortar shops in cities like Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Pattaya (for warranty service, if needed)? Or, are there Samsung stores in those areas that I can go to for the purchase? 

32 minutes ago, InlandSea said:

It does look like a pretty good phone and it's not too expensive. This is probably a stupid/crappy question, but I usually try to buy direct from the manufacturer (i.e., Samsung), because I think there's less chance that some middleman will add software or more specifically spyware... Are there any retail stores that you feel are particularly trustworthy? Ideally a franchise with physical/brick-and-mortar shops in cities like Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Pattaya (for warranty service, if needed)? Or, are there Samsung stores in those areas that I can go to for the purchase? 

You should also check out A33 its virtually the same spec you can compared here

https://droidsans.com/samsung-galaxy-a13-a23-a33-a53-a73-specs-compare/

or here

https://www.samsung.com/nz/news/local/galaxy-a53-5g-and-galaxy-a33-5g-awesome-mobile-experiences-open-to-everyone/#:~:text=Galaxy A53 5G and Galaxy A33 5G support up to,five years of security updates.

Samsung have stated they will offer 4 android os updates and 5 years of security updates from the year that the phone was released which was March 2022

so if you buy these models this year security updates until March 2027

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/what-galaxy-devices-get-four-android-os-upgrades/

You can buy your samsung directly from Samsung here

https://www.samsung.com/th/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a53-5g-awesome-blue-128gb-sm-a536elbgthl/buy/

Or there are shopping channels here such as Shopee and Lazada

https://shopee.co.th/Samsung-Galaxy-A53-5G-(8-128GB)-i.83276818.14665118353?xptdk=a3b6016a-6eaa-4a51-be3c-b8ebfad3dd16

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/samsung-galaxy-a53-5g-8128gb-i3514346372-s13090298343.html?

• Thanks 1

I have a Samsung A51 (Not 5G). It'a a good phone. It's the only handset I've found which works well with UltraMobile's WiFi Calling option.

I bought on Lazada, but from a LazMall Flagship store.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/samsung-galaxy-a53-5g-8128gb-i3643000455-s13684931425.html?

There are Samsung shops in most major malls. Jaymart is another option which might meet your requirements?

That model may be EOL soon, so not sure if it will still be in stock when you arrive? Maybe suss out some options?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, InlandSea said:

Are there any retail stores that you feel are particularly trustworthy? Ideally a franchise with physical/brick-and-mortar shops in cities like Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Pattaya

Banana IT

They are a large chain with both an online and bricks & mortar presence, they're everywhere in Thailand, you can find outlets in Central Festival. I bought mine from their shop rather than the online store, I wanted to physically feel and see the phone before I bought, wasn't sure if I wanted the A53, A73 or S21FE - I opted for the A53 because I thought it offered best value for money.

• Thanks 1

This is a horrible phone. Way too slow after a few app updates. 

As a matter of fact, the only good samsung phones are their flagship phones. The rest are truly awful.

I would buy Xiomi note phones or an older Huawie P20 or P30 pro which you can get on Lazada quite cheap . Much faster than this POS and Leica camera to boot. My wife just picked up Samsung Note 20 for 13,000 baht old stock from MBK. Miles and kilometers better than any "A" phone. 

49 minutes ago, Celsius said:

As a matter of fact, the only good samsung phones are their flagship phones. The rest are truly awful.

I would buy Xiomi note phones or an older Huawie P20 or P30 pro which you can get on Lazada quite cheap . Much faster than this POS and Leica camera to boot. My wife just picked up Samsung Note 20 for 13,000 baht old stock from MBK. Miles and kilometers better than any "A" phone. 

I Personally wouldn't touch Huawie with a bargepole 2 much bloatware for my linking as for the speed of the A series 33 ,53 73 they seem to run fine as shown in many reviews. The op hasn't mentioned what is useage of the phone is going to  be who knows maybe it will be just for making receiving calls and texts so speed is irrelevant

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I Personally wouldn't touch Huawie with a bargepole 2 much bloatware for my linking as for the speed of the A series 33 ,53 73 they seem to run fine as shown in many reviews. The op hasn't mentioned what is useage of the phone is going to  be who knows maybe it will be just for making receiving calls and texts so speed is irrelevant

I'm not tech savvy, but the reviews of the Samsung A series have all been very good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

If that's your personal experience of the A53 fine, but it's not mine. I've had mine for 8 months now, it updated to Android 13 in December. The system runs well, I don't find it slow, that said I'm not using it for any heavy duty gaming, just normal stuff; phone, camera, music, news apps, messaging apps, movies, time killing games that sort of thing. The 5 years of updates means the phone will last me a good while, I don't like changing phones unless I have to. My previous phone was a Huawei P9 which lasted me over 5 years, and before that a Samsung Galaxy S2 which also lasted 5 years.