Cost of living for a single person in Bangkok?

LionM00

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Whatever advice you receive, don't forget to factor in 'lady drinks'........they could amount to 20% of your expenditure........managed to run up a 2800 baht bar bill the other night on soi 8.....and I was only there a couple of hours.

ooooh i bet they love you on Soi 8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Sure you do not get day prices? Best tip is to do Airbnb search, and then check a few other rental pages. Rent airbnb and do the search when in bkk, and you can find more choices.

My friend rent long time rent in Silom for 12500 in the middle oc center few minutes walk to everthing

I’m sure, most go from 3k/5k to 8k thb/month but they look way too nice I guess? And since you told me they were around 15k my first thought was that it’s a scam or something. 

Oh! Honestly Airbnb didn’t cross my mind,  I thought I would get better prices on some real state sites but that turned out to be more difficult ???? thank you for your advice! I’ll check on Airbnb but definitely do local browsing when I’m finally in the city. 

Thanks again, virtual hug from Mexico! ((: 

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It is quite clear from the OP that they are not into luxuries, Nigel. Do pay attention!

These topics ALWAYS generate the normal to the ridiculous. Yep, you can live in BKK for 20k... normal digs, liveable food, couple grand a week beer, the odd bit of strange here and there. Big budget guys lord it up (ooh, I can't live on 200k a month blah blah), but typically have loud cars, loud houses and high maintenance women. Don't do any of them. Have a beer on the balcony, get a motosai taxi to town and do not tip... EVER (they think you're a pr*ck when you do big anyway)! ????

Have fun! 

"They" do not think you're a pr*ck if you tip e.g. waiters, taxi drivers, cleaners.

I agree with the rest of your post but the last paragraph is testicles.

• Like 1

I'd say you could stay fairly comfortably, if you eat local food, on about 25 000 baht plus rent. Just remember that there are other yearly costs, such as for "visa" extensions and, very importantly, health insurance.

Edited by Myran

1 hour ago, Myran said:

I'd say you could stay fairly comfortably, if you eat local food, on about 25 000 baht plus rent. Just remember that there are other yearly costs, such as for "visa" extensions and, very importantly, health insurance.

He wants to work officially. With that, visa and health insurance (at least basic) should not be an issue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LionM00 said:

Thank you so much for all your comments guys! I’ll try to answer most of the questions here, as to not spam every one of you with messages.

I’m all in for living like a local, I have no interest in having a western lifestyle when I’m in Bangkok! ((: I think the best experience always comes from doing what the locals do right?

- Restaurants: I prefer to cook simple dishes at home or buy from a small local restaurant. I don’t eat red meat so it will mostly be chicken, fish, rice, pasta and vegetables.

- Nightlife: I’m not one to go out every night. Maybe a beer after work but that would be the most, and only 2-3 times a week tops. And maybe once or twice a month having the clubbing experience.

- What visa do you have?: my goal is to get the non-immigrant visa for the work permit.

- Here for work, play, school, travel?: work and local travel when available. 

- If you have one, what's your monthly budget? I don’t have one yet.

- Do you speak Thai? No, I speak English, Spanish and Italian. But I’m planing to take a Thai language course before I go to Thailand. My goal is to keep studying the language when I get there.

- Single or accompanied? Single! 

- How long do you plan to stay? As long as the job contract allows me to, I’m hoping for at least 2 years. If I find myself happy there I’ll try to stay for more. 

- Public transportation or private? Public transportation is preferable. I was also considering investing on a scooter but I don’t know if it’s really better. 

- Entertainment at night how often, to do what/where?: as I said above at most twice a week to a local bar to get a beer, maybe to a club to dance once or twice a month.

- Are you an upmarket, mid market, or happy with down market person?: happy with down market for sure! 

Thank you again to all, I hope this helps in having a more accurate estimate ????????

Huh your asking for cost of living and you don't have a budget? You can lease a Bently at Siam paragon and the Marriott would be a lovely home 

• Haha 1

I haven't read it all but it looks like the OP is getting some useable information, I live in the North so I can't really help that much with Bangkok. What I will say however, since I've lived here for over 20 years and I've lived in San Ysidro near the Mexican border, is that you don't need to worry about good and bad areas here in the same way that you do in Mexico. There aren't really any bad areas, a poor area doesn't mean an unsafe area and attacks or crime against Westerners are rare. Your biggest threat is getting ripped off without you knowing you've paid too much, you're just going have to be careful, many of us have been there at some point.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had to look that up. Interesting.

My advice: Come to Thailand and play with the girls - and not just one of them.

That crisis will be over soon. 

Yes, I think it's not clear he meant a 2 some. 

AirBnb isn't cheap. Lowest rentals are found by asking local friends and walking around the area you prefer. A apartment is cheaper than studio and condo, rent would be from 6-8k baht in BKK. A company who hire you, should be able to find you a apartment in the same area. Money and time saved.

Then follow advice before, live as close you can to work. Avoid living city center, the temptation to go out more than 1-2 times per week will be obvious, and hurt your budget.

Traffic in bkk is crazy zigzag. I've driven motorcycle of all sizes since age 16, you couldn't pay me to drive in bangkok traffic (look on youtube). I drive in other cities here, but very alert. Many close calls I must admit, many accidents reported daily.

No health issues? If any, I would add-on medical insurance expence, even your new job should include basic. 

Yoy plan to stay single? Not going to happen. Thai beauty are amazing, you're expected to dine out, give gifts, and refill her wallet. The prettier she is, the thinner your wallet will be. If you actually manage to avoid women of any kind, you easily save 10-20k baht month, in Bangkok. Bkk women don't come cheap, talking about good beautiful women now. Some exceptions as always, but you will not know who that is, best bet: at work.

Wouldn't move her, unless you already have a fool proof work contract, including full assistance for work permit, all in writing.

6,000 Usd minimum on arrival, for the first 3 months, you'll be fine.

No amount of retirement pension would suffice if one needs to cater the hottie-hookers on a daily basis after breakfast, lunch and dinner !!

Not to mention if one goes clubbing in certain swanky clubs in Bangkok where the shot of Jack with a mixer is close to the prices in Spain or in Mallorca !!  Also to consider the danger in shopping at the latest malls to please the lady for rent, in for the week or the month,....one can end up in trouble real fast.????

• Confused 1

Maybe not relivent as I live Pattaya. But I been keeping a record for years and seems to always work out £1600 a month have Thai lady and pay her £250 a month.. not go out much car and motobike rent house for £250 amount..life good for me.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I have actually kept a detailed record of my outgoings over the last six months (181 days to be exact)

Total spent = 115,907.90 Baht

Daily spend = 640 Baht

Monthly spend = 19,200 Baht

That is upcountry.  I spend only a small fraction of my income.  If I needed or wanted to spend more I would do so.  I run a car and bike in that budget but I use the bike for 90%+ of journeys.  I eat a good quality healthy diet and eat very little meat.  My main extravagance, and one of my biggest expenses, is going to the swimming pool five times a week.

Add 50% Bangkok premium to that budget and you have 30K.

This is true but also a very disciplined specific lifestyle that cuts out anything else, which IMHO you should do regular, if moving a continent away in the first place.

its peanuts for me to even survive on 15k with a decade up knowledge, but im 1000% sure its more fun on 60k.

id rather leave and earn good money abroad to spent a few months here properly than to try and “survive” as a thai.

18 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Maybe not relivent as I live Pattaya. But I been keeping a record for years and seems to always work out £1600 a month have Thai lady and pay her £250 a month.. not go out much car and motobike rent house for £250 amount..life good for me.. 

Thats like 65k baht and with a happy wife at 250gbp more than reasonable, you know as well could do it on even less if necessary.

But then again, how about retirement etc,  its easy to mention this budget if on retirement or semi secured already.

its different when 30-40 year old, then one should want to save at least 600-900 a month on top if being realistic.

I guess this makes topics with the replies and opinions so confusing, many only consider basic <deleted> like room and food, others think of retirement and other factors too.

This aside of social spending level differences amongst people. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

33 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

No amount of retirement pension would suffice if one needs to cater the hottie-hookers on a daily basis after breakfast, lunch and dinner !!

Not to mention if one goes clubbing in certain swanky clubs in Bangkok where the shot of Jack with a mixer is close to the prices in Spain or in Mallorca !!  Also to consider the danger in shopping at the latest malls to please the lady for rent, in for the week or the month,....one can end up in trouble real fast.????

With other words: the majority who never even stays here over 3 years or longer, or the minority exception.

A bit like the very few girls who do manage to walk away with a mercedes and 10M baht capital of a then divorced retiree fool.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

This is true but also a very disciplined specific lifestyle that cuts out anything else, which IMHO you should do regular, if moving a continent away in the first place.

its peanuts for me to even survive on 15k with a decade up knowledge, but im 1000% sure its more fun on 60k.

id rather leave and earn good money abroad to spent a few months here properly than to try and “survive” as a thai.

I take that as fair comment.

I suspect that part of the difference between your priorities and mine are to do with age.

I have done more than my fair share of living the high life in the past.  I know what its like.  I no longer do that because I no longer wish to.  These days I focus much more on maintaining good health and making generous provision for those I will leave behind.

That said, partly why I have done my best to offer good advice to the OP is because I would love to be able to roll the dice again and be in his position.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shop mak said:

you couldn't pay me to drive in bangkok traffic

The first couple of years I rode on the back of motorcycle taxis to get used to it. And then I bought my first bike more than 20 years ago and I am still riding in Bangkok. No accident that hurt or was expensive until now. You get used to it.

I think it's interesting to read here all the how-to-live-cheap advice. Who wants that?

What's the point of living in Thailand if you don't go out and have fun?

Bangkok nightlife is obviously not cheap anymore. But it's still a lot cheaper and more exciting than in lots of other cities in this world. It's also possible to rent a nice apartment in a high floor in the middle of the city for reasonable price. Taxis are cheap, so use them instead of the bus. Enjoy life.

If you don't make enough money in Thailand to enjoy life, then maybe working at home and making more money over there and then holiday in Thailand is the better option. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:54 AM, LionM00 said:

I’m all in for living like a local, I have no interest in having a western lifestyle when I’m in Bangkok!

So, you want to sleep in a hut near the railroad tracks?

Just joking of course, but I have lived in Bangkok before most of the locals are trying or are in fact living western lifestyles.  Maybe they eat Thai food, but have or want nice condos, cars, higher end western living, etc.

You can try it all on 30 k a month.  But, I bet you find yourself pinching and counting your baht everyday.  Not much fun, I think 80-100 k a month is about right for a nice standard of living in Bangkok.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, n00dle said:
23 hours ago, In the jungle said:

In 22 years in Thailand I have never been to an area in Bangkok where I felt unsafe.

then you are doing it wrong.

Where would you go to find trouble?

Obviously you can find almost anywhere trouble if you provoke people. But if you are the nice guy with nice language and not threatening and not looking like Rambo then you should be able to go (almost?) anywhere in Bangkok.

And if you are not welcome then people will tell you. Let's say you walk into a "restricted" gambling area. Someone will tell you to go somewhere else. If you insist it's up to you where you go then there are obviously consequences. Just be nice and listen! 

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So, you want to sleep in a hut near the railroad tracks?

Just joking of course, but I have lived in Bangkok before most of the locals are trying or are in fact living western lifestyles.  Maybe they eat Thai food, but have or want nice condos, cars, higher end western living, etc.

You can try it all on 30 k a month.  But, I bet you find yourself pinching and counting your baht everyday.  Not much fun, I think 80-100 k a month is about right for a nice standard of living in Bangkok.

Agree with this. 30-40k a month is a peasant lifestyle in bkk and leaves no room for unexpected expenses. (I know a few TEFL teachers on this and I wouldn't want their lifestyle)

80-100k allows for the occasional trip home, some local holidays in the region and decent health insurance. It doesn't give a hugely luxurious lifestyle but comfortable without penny pinching every day.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:37 AM, LionM00 said:

“Lady drinks” as in drinks you pay for your female friends or drinks you pay for a lady you fancy in a bar? Haha I’m a little confused! ????

Any drink you buy a lady 'working' in the bar......and not sure.....freelancers and side-liners also?