Cost of living for a single person in Bangkok?

LionM00

On 2/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, kingstonkid said:

Was decent before the sky train lol.  5k a month for a 3 bdrm garden home.  Quiet no loud noise; No pollution and friendly Thais

Hi, I'm new on this forum. The OP has basically asked what I would have done so won't make a duplicate post.

My job will be in Rangsit, so is where is a nice place to live here? I am single, will be happy to not eat Western much at all and mainly like to run and keep fit.

What area or even name of a good Condo can you suggest on the Sukhimvit Line between N9 Ladphrao and N23 Yaek Kor Por Aor? 

I'd like to live somewhere I won't feel too out of place, as in, I could seek out more touristy places if i desired. But overall I want a decent mix of amenities. 

Sorry for jumping in on OPs post but i feel we are both going to get lots from any responses. 

44 minutes ago, stuartf1985 said:

What area or even name of a good Condo can you suggest on the Sukhimvit Line between N9 Ladphrao and N23 Yaek Kor Por Aor? 

N9 to N23 ... is a pretty long stretch.  Which station is closest to work?

I would look for a place within walking distance of work, if possible, for everyday ease of 'commute' & living.   There always seems to be food around.

People always want to be near this & that, but realistically, how often are you going to visit this & that.  Versus the inconvenience of daily commute to/from someplace you have to be 5 days a week.  

And if food vendors on the way, even better.  Only other priority, if outdoor exercise oriented, then hopefully a 'green' area near the home.   Although very few of those unfortunately. 

Some sites will let you filter by stations:

https://www.thailand-property.com/properties-for-rent/bts/sai-yud?sort=min_price

Quick Google peek, and here's a place near N19

Untitled.png

https://www.thailand-property.com/ads/1-bedroom-condo-for-rent-in-episode-phahol-sapanmai-anusawari-bangkok-near-bts-sai-yud_8fd73516fbbd-2ea1-9035-edc6-496d3cb2

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 3:40 AM, nigelforbes said:

How do you want to live, like a Thai or like a Westerner? What is your lifestyle, bars and girls or a good book? Do you eat Western food all the time or are you happy with rice? Sketch us a picture and we can answer your question better.

I don't eat Thai foods except boiled lemon fish and Tom Yum kung. I eat Javanese, Korean, Middle Eastern, Greek, Indian, and burgers. Mostly make my on breakfast of fruits, bananas, peanut butter bread, cereal, boiled eggs, etc. Lunch and dinner I eat outside. My food expenses are never more than 20K baht. Rent  15K. Now you have another 25K left for miscellaneous expenses out of a 2K USD budget. Of course, the quoted prices are in Pattaya. I lived in Bangkok in 2011 with two bed room condo in Thonglo area walking distance to BTS. Of course it may be impossible to find a place like that now. I don't remember my food expenses then. I had plenty of money never did my budgeting then. Now I try to keep it under 2K USD. In Bangkok I would say 3K-4K USD. Of course, in Bangkok one can blow much more than that in a month. It has wide range of prices for every thing. 

Edited by Faltu
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/25/2023 at 12:15 PM, LionM00 said:

Hi! Thank you for the info you shared ((: I had an estimate of 10k-15k for rent. Do you have any neighborhoods you recommend? As in, average cost and general safety? Thanks again! 

Saphan Kwai, rooms for 12k incl electr. available and close to Ari and Chatuchak. Cheaper street food here. Avoid outer areas. You need much money for travelling then...

On 3/3/2023 at 8:08 AM, Tom H said:

Saphan Kwai, rooms for 12k incl electr. available and close to Ari and Chatuchak. Cheaper street food here. Avoid outer areas. You need much money for travelling then...

This is a nice area and is currently upgrading.  If you are looking then this is an area that should be reasonable.  There are stores near by like Big C so shopping is ok and lots of thai restaurants.

The main question though is where are you going to be working?

As of extra cost right now there s no real difference in price between BTS Khu Khok and Chatuchak to almost anywhere the big difference is about an hour commute

If you are going to be working in the old part of town close to the river then there are also a lot of nice places here and cheap accommodations in Wong wian.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:26 AM, stuartf1985 said:

Hi, I'm new on this forum. The OP has basically asked what I would have done so won't make a duplicate post.

My job will be in Rangsit, so is where is a nice place to live here? I am single, will be happy to not eat Western much at all and mainly like to run and keep fit.

I'd like to live somewhere I won't feel too out of place, as in, I could seek out more touristy places if i desired. But overall I want a decent mix of amenities. 

Sorry for jumping in on OPs post but i feel we are both going to get lots from any responses. 

You say your job is ging to be in Rangsit but yet you want to live outside Rangsit.  If you are working in Rangsit and live along the line where you state it is going to be expensive for transport.

There are some nice condos houses and such in the Rangsit area.  My suggestion would be to look at different spots online that are close to where you are going to work and then decide from there.  At this time there are 2 BTS lines that run to Rangsit nd Khu KOK.  The line you want will depend greatly on where you are working. Are you going ot be a teacher if so which school and I can tellyou that some of the schools can be very helpful.

On 2/25/2023 at 11:58 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe first visit Bangkok for a month or two and record what you spent and how you spent it.

"nothing fancy" is relative. Are you riding the bus and eating Thai food on the street and in food centers like the locals? Do you buy a beer in 7/11?

Or do you ride taxi, drink your beer somewhere in a bar, and eat farang food?

I have a farang friend who once told me that he just can't understand how some people can live here with less than 100,000 THB per month. Like: How do they do that?

He has wine for every dinner, gets 20k each time he walks to the ATM, buys the finest fish and cheese in Emporium, etc. He doesn't think he has a fancy lifestyle, just living an ordinary life.

Don't have a kid here, 100k goes real fast

On 3/6/2023 at 7:08 AM, kingstonkid said:

You say your job is ging to be in Rangsit but yet you want to live outside Rangsit.  If you are working in Rangsit and live along the line where you state it is going to be expensive for transport.

There are some nice condos houses and such in the Rangsit area.  My suggestion would be to look at different spots online that are close to where you are going to work and then decide from there.  At this time there are 2 BTS lines that run to Rangsit nd Khu KOK.  The line you want will depend greatly on where you are working. Are you going ot be a teacher if so which school and I can tellyou that some of the schools can be very helpful.

I initially felt Rangsit may be quite a hard place for someone who has never lived in Thailand to get used to. But of course I have yet to visit the area. 

Which condos near Future Park are really nice for comfort and amenities?  I am keen to live somewhere with a gym and near lots of shops and food places.

Wat Phra Sri Mahathat has been where i've been recc, but until i arrive next week, it's hard to pinpoint where i will want to live. 

Working WSE. 

6 hours ago, stuartf1985 said:

Working WSE. 

= Workshop on Web Site ?

If that's the case, do you actually need to be at Krung Thep metro area at all, as the air pollution half the year is horrendous, along with sporadic flooding during rainy season, if self driving.

I was up at Future Park last rainy season and had to kill an hour or so, before leaving the area, waiting for the flooding to subside, as not wanting to drive my car in it.  It was floor board high and unavoidable.   Hard to believe people were driving in it.

12 hours ago, stuartf1985 said:

I initially felt Rangsit may be quite a hard place for someone who has never lived in Thailand to get used to. But of course I have yet to visit the area. 

Which condos near Future Park are really nice for comfort and amenities?  I am keen to live somewhere with a gym and near lots of shops and food places.

has been where i've been recc, but until i arrive next week, it's hard to pinpoint where i will want to live. 

Working WSE. 

Lots of places of various prices in the area  If WSE is for Wall Street then my suggestion is to rent a place for a week or month, which is easy to do here.  Then ask the staff for any recommendations.  I imagine you are not the only expat going to work there.  Email one of the others and ask where they are living.

Futurepark is very close depending on where and if WSE is moving I noticed that the building they share with Office mate is being vacated.

Rangsit is actually a lot easier to acclimatize in as most people are willing to help and there is not you expat you must be tourist we rip you off.

Wat Phra Sri Mahathat ????  are you sure you are working in Rangsit and not at WSE CHang wattana

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Lots of places of various prices in the area  If WSE is for Wall Street then my suggestion is to rent a place for a week or month, which is easy to do here.  Then ask the staff for any recommendations.  I imagine you are not the only expat going to work there.  Email one of the others and ask where they are living.

Futurepark is very close depending on where and if WSE is moving I noticed that the building they share with Office mate is being vacated.

Rangsit is actually a lot easier to acclimatize in as most people are willing to help and there is not you expat you must be tourist we rip you off.

Wat Phra Sri Mahathat ????  are you sure you are working in Rangsit and not at WSE CHang wattana

It is definitely Rangit. Someone I am in touch with who also works there is currently in Wat Phra and says she has a 40 min commute. Perhaps a shorter commute to begin with would be best. 

Can you name any really decent Condos in Rangsit? 

It is Wall Street. Did you say they are moving?  I get there next week and it'll be easier to then actually go and explore these areas. Can't get an idea really looking at google maps etc. 

Just really don't want to get stuck somewhere in an area i'll regret living.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:52 AM, Faltu said:

I don't eat Thai foods except boiled lemon fish and Tom Yum kung. I eat Javanese, Korean, Middle Eastern, Greek, Indian, and burgers. 

Pattaya is def heaven for that in Thailand, if also taking in consideration of the low prices there for foreign food. Plus baht bus.

21 hours ago, stuartf1985 said:

It is definitely Rangit. Someone I am in touch with who also works there is currently in Wat Phra and says she has a 40 min commute. Perhaps a shorter commute to begin with would be best. 

Can you name any really decent Condos in Rangsit? 

It is Wall Street. Did you say they are moving?  I get there next week and it'll be easier to then actually go and explore these areas. Can't get an idea really looking at google maps etc. 

Just really don't want to get stuck somewhere in an area i'll regret living.

That's why I would suggest getting something close by for a few days.  40 minutes is what it takes for to get to bkk from my apt. Lol 

I don't know if many condo that are renting there are a lot of apartments though.  Some new stuff is going up all the time.

As to wse moving I am not sure just know the major tenant is pulling out of the building. 

Check out rangsit residence near lotus so only a few minutes to wse might be a good starting point

Do not look at anything klong 3or higher it is nice but a bit of a trip.

Edited by kingstonkid

On 2/25/2023 at 11:16 AM, Hummin said:

You can get decent 60m2 +-studios rent from 12k and up in decent condominiums placed just a few min walk from public transport and typical expat communities with swimmingpool and fitness. 

Any examples? Ive never seen a 60m2+ place with pool/fitness in typical expat community a few mins from public transport for that price. Public transport meaning BTS? 

29 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Any examples? Ive never seen a 60m2+ place with pool/fitness in typical expat community a few mins from public transport for that price. Public transport meaning BTS? 

Untitled.png

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Untitled.png

Can you post the link? Common for agents to post very low prices to get attention but "its already rented sir we have another one for x" when you ring up. Enquired about a place on Soi 13 that was advertised for 11k and couldn't get anything cheaper than 15k.

1 minute ago, Startmeup said:

Can you post the link? Common for agents to post very low prices to get attention but "its already rented sir we have another one for x" when you ring up. Enquired about a place on Soi 13 that was advertised for 11k and couldn't get anything cheaper than 15k.

Posting that was a stretch .... google if interested.  I really don't care.   

People never see, because they never look.

Just hate when people question other 'reputable' (a stretch ????) members when they post.  Love a challenge anyway, which that wasn't much of.

Real advice, already given, but wait till you get here, rent near your work, then take a day or 2 and look around.   Shouldn't take much longer than that.   I've always found a rental in 1 or 2 days, when actually looking.

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Pattaya is def heaven for that in Thailand, if also taking in consideration of the low prices there for foreign food. Plus baht bus.

I used Baht bus but I don't use them often unless I do up and down on the Jomtien beach. I like bolt now and my monthly Bolt expenses were never more than 3K but most months are less than that. 

Edited by Faltu
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 3:40 AM, nigelforbes said:

How do you want to live, like a Thai or like a Westerner? What is your lifestyle, bars and girls or a good book? Do you eat Western food all the time or are you happy with rice?

By rice do you mean Thai foods? Thai foods in some restaurant in Pattaya is the same price as in many Western foods. Just the other day I saw a guy posted 225 baht for a plate of cashew chicken in a restaurant. That means it will cost at least 300 baht including drinks, I would guess. Thai street foods are cheap which I cannot eat. Tried a few times I simply don't like it. My food expenses are never more than 15K baht/month, except breakfast that I make my own. And order lunch and dinner. They are mostly Javanese, Korean, Indian, Mediterranean Burgers, etc. Occasionally pork, or lamb chops. Rice in most lunches. I don't eat steak but sometimes eat carved beef. I like Thai lemon steamed fish and Tom Yum kung. 

Edited by Faltu

On 3/12/2023 at 7:44 AM, Faltu said:

By rice do you mean Thai foods? Thai foods in some restaurant in Pattaya is the same price as in many Western foods. Just the other day I saw a guy posted 225 baht for a plate of cashew chicken in a restaurant. That means it will cost at least 300 baht including drinks, I would guess. Thai street foods are cheap which I cannot eat. Tried a few times I simply don't like it. My food expenses are never more than 15K baht/month, except breakfast that I make my own. And order lunch and dinner. They are mostly Javanese, Korean, Indian, Mediterranean Burgers, etc. Occasionally pork, or lamb chops. Rice in most lunches. I don't eat steak but sometimes eat carved beef. I like Thai lemon steamed fish and Tom Yum kung. 

Street food is practically the same as what you get in a restaurant. Go to the back of the restaurant and you would see the same setup.

• Thumbs Up 1