Cost of living for a single person in Bangkok?

LionM00

Hello guys! I’m new in the forum, I don’t know if it’s okay to post this question here but I’m planning on moving to Thailand and my goal is getting to work in Bangkok. I’ve been searching on google how much does it cost for 1 person to live in the city but every page has a different amount and they vary greatly (like from 22,000 BTH plus rent to 66,000 BTH) so I really can’t get a clear idea to start making preparations. I would really appreciate your help on this matter, just an estimate is fine.

Just for reference: I’m nothing fancy, I don’t buy electronics or clothes often, nor do I eat in luxury restaurants or the like, maybe my only guilty pleasure is beer haha.

Additional questions: which are average priced but “safe” neighborhoods in Bangkok that you would recommend for living? (I hope this question is not offensive, I don’t know how the situation around safety is in Bangkok but I live in Mexico so, knowing were is more “safe” to live is a must! ????

Thank you so much for taking the time to read me ((: 

Edited by LionM00
  • Confused 3

More questions:

What visa do you have?

Here for work, play, school, travel?

If you have one, what's your monthly budget?

Do you speak Thai?

Single or accompanied?

How long do you plan to stay?

Public transportation or private?

Entertainment at night how often, to do what/where?

Are you an upmarket, mid market, or happy with down market person?

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Tom H said:

One time a steak at El gaucho plus a wine: 4000 Baht:). But who goes alone for a steak?

Two people

steak 2400

wine 1800 - 2200

Soda and water 160

Service charge

5500?

Go lunch time, it is cheaper, and you can have 800 steak to, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Two people

steak 2400

wine 1800 - 2200

Soda and water 160

Service charge

5500?

Go lunch time, it is cheaper, and you can have 800 steak to, 

Filet Angus Aus/US over 2000 B for one:).

Just had one last night. Actually I paid two????. Could not affort a bottle of wine ????.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Filet Angus Aus/US over 2000 B for one:).

Just had one last night. Actually I paid two????. Could not affort a bottle of wine ????.

I found the price difference not worth it.

Next up now is Goji restaurant buffet at Marriot hotel. Well worth the money. 

Edited by Hummin

51 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

How do you want to live, like a Thai or like a Westerner? What is your lifestyle, bars and girls or a good book? Do you eat Western food all the time or are you happy with rice? Sketch us a picture and we can answer your question better.

Thank you so much for all your comments guys! I’ll try to answer most of the questions here, as to not spam every one of you with messages.

I’m all in for living like a local, I have no interest in having a western lifestyle when I’m in Bangkok! ((: I think the best experience always comes from doing what the locals do right?

- Restaurants: I prefer to cook simple dishes at home or buy from a small local restaurant. I don’t eat red meat so it will mostly be chicken, fish, rice, pasta and vegetables.

- Nightlife: I’m not one to go out every night. Maybe a beer after work but that would be the most, and only 2-3 times a week tops. And maybe once or twice a month having the clubbing experience.

- What visa do you have?: my goal is to get the non-immigrant visa for the work permit.

- Here for work, play, school, travel?: work and local travel when available. 

- If you have one, what's your monthly budget? I don’t have one yet.

- Do you speak Thai? No, I speak English, Spanish and Italian. But I’m planing to take a Thai language course before I go to Thailand. My goal is to keep studying the language when I get there.

- Single or accompanied? Single! 

- How long do you plan to stay? As long as the job contract allows me to, I’m hoping for at least 2 years. If I find myself happy there I’ll try to stay for more. 

- Public transportation or private? Public transportation is preferable. I was also considering investing on a scooter but I don’t know if it’s really better. 

- Entertainment at night how often, to do what/where?: as I said above at most twice a week to a local bar to get a beer, maybe to a club to dance once or twice a month.

- Are you an upmarket, mid market, or happy with down market person?: happy with down market for sure! 

Thank you again to all, I hope this helps in having a more accurate estimate ????????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

You should aim for at least 50-60k baht per month income, if you do as you describe you can even save some of this too, which you will need to do anyway.

Aside of this a bigger budget to go wild and have fun the first 1-3 months.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You should aim for at least 50-60k baht per month income, if you do as you describe you can even save some of this too, which you will need to do anyway.

Aside of this a bigger budget to go wild and have fun the first 1-3 months.

Thank you so much! I wasn’t as lost as I thought, apparently the job position I’m looking for pays an average of 64k-89k per month so it’s great to know that I can actually have a life with that! 

Haha thanks for the advice! I was planning on arriving with enough savings to do exactly that ????????????????????????????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe work on that part first.

What job, including work permit, can you get? 

It seems for many people who like to live here that is the first BIG hurdle. If you are well educated and if you are able to get a well-paid job, then the rest is not really a problem.

But don't expect to find just some job with a work permit. And be aware that companies promising a work permit is not the same as actually getting one.

I recommend get a legal job first. 

Thank you for your advice OneMoreFarang ((: that’s the first thing on my list but I want to be prepared and save enough money to survive at least for 3-4 months in Bangkok so that’s the reason I asked an estimate of how much that would be ????. As for the job, I’m looking for BIM coordinator/operator/drafter offers, but I’m not closed off to finding other legal jobs that are among my capabilities. 

58 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You can get decent 60m2 +-studios rent from 12k and up in decent condominiums placed just a few min walk from public transport and typical expat communities with swimmingpool and fitness. 

Hi! Thank you for the info you shared ((: I had an estimate of 10k-15k for rent. Do you have any neighborhoods you recommend? As in, average cost and general safety? Thanks again! 

2 minutes ago, LionM00 said:

Hi! Thank you for the info you shared ((: I had an estimate of 10k-15k for rent. Do you have any neighborhoods you recommend? As in, average cost and general safety? Thanks again! 

On Nut or Bangna, at least you are nearish to the airport!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LionM00 said:

Thank you so much! I wasn’t as lost as I thought, apparently the job position I’m looking for pays an average of 64k-89k per month so it’s great to know that I can actually have a life with that! 

Haha thanks for the advice! I was planning on arriving with enough savings to do exactly that ????????????????????????????

With such salary you can actually enjoy to socialize, eat out in 200-300 meal places more often, rent nice and still save decent too.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

It is quite clear from the OP that they are not into luxuries, Nigel. Do pay attention!

These topics ALWAYS generate the normal to the ridiculous. Yep, you can live in BKK for 20k... normal digs, liveable food, couple grand a week beer, the odd bit of strange here and there. Big budget guys lord it up (ooh, I can't live on 200k a month blah blah), but typically have loud cars, loud houses and high maintenance women. Don't do any of them. Have a beer on the balcony, get a motosai taxi to town and do not tip... EVER (they think you're a pr*ck when you do big anyway)! ????

Have fun! 

It’s okay really, I don’t mind the questions, I understand my ask has to many variables ????. Thank you for your advise haha I’ll surely keep a low profile as you recommend. Definitely not into the “loud” opulent lifestyle of big houses, super expensive cars and high maintenance girls, I’m nowhere near the age to be a sugar daddy for anyone but myself haha ;)) 

Just now, Will B Good said:

Whatever advice you receive, don't forget to factor in 'lady drinks'........they could amount to 20% of your expenditure........managed to run up a 2800 baht bar bill the other night on soi 8.....and I was only there a couple of hours.

Thats normal anyway for a night out in such areas and places, with girls. I usually lose 4-5k on a bit longer night out.

But i only do that 1x per month nowadays, other days i drink at restaurants or local places. 

Even 6 beers and thai food in a beach place usually set me back 500-600 only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Calculation per Year may make more sense as there are once-in-a-while items popped from time to time outside the monthly budget.       Causal on alcoholic drinking and nightlife,   650,000 B per Year for a single in Bangkok is certainly doable.   Less if you stay in Pattaya/Jomtien. 

• Thanks 1