Marriage age raised to 18 in England and Wales in an effort to better protect children from forced marriage

34 minutes ago, transam said:

The marriage laws have been OK for a very long time in the UK, now they are changing it because of dodgy foreign stuff, and you think it's OK to change UK law to cater for foreign behaviour over the marriage matter....?

Enoch was right.....

How on earth can you deduce that from my post?

The reason that I support changing our 'act of consent' laws was stated clearly: Where possible - and I accept that there may be exceptions - the age at which you are considered an adult should be standardised; imo it would simplify matters. You don't see any inconsistency in the fact that you can be considered mature enough to enlist in the armed forces at 16, but you don't get a say in who runs the country or that you are not considered mature enough to buy an alcoholic drink?

I don't know whether that age should be 16, 21 or somewhere in between. I'd leave it to the experts to decide.

I see that you ended with your usual bit of racist/ xenophobic tripe.

Edited by RayC
Addition
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 12:30 AM, transam said:

So British Law is changed to accommodate foreign folk's stuff..

In the words of Basil, "Typical, just typical".....:mad:

IMO it's fair enough. 17 is too young to get married anyway, IMO.

It's not like they are making it the age of consent, though it might have an effect on kids that "had to get married" because they couldn't be bothered using contraceptives.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

16 minutes ago, RayC said:

How on earth can you deduce that from my post?

The reason that I support changing our 'act of consent' laws was stated clearly: Where possible - and I accept that there may be exceptions - the age at which you are considered an adult should be standardised; imo it would simplify matters. You don't see any inconsistency in the fact that you can be considered mature enough to enlist in the armed forces at 16, but you don't get a say in who runs the country or that you are not considered mature enough to buy an alcoholic drink?

I don't know whether that age should be 16, 21 or somewhere in between. I'd leave it to the experts to decide.

I see that you ended with your usual bit of racist/ xenophobic tripe.

So now dodgy foreign marriage stuff in the UK, being discussed here, is racist...

Oh dear, oh dear.........................:unsure:

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO it's fair enough. 17 is too young to get married anyway, IMO.

It's not like they are making it the age of consent, though it might have an effect on kids that "had to get married" because they couldn't be bothered using contraceptives.

But that is just your opinion, the UK has got along just fine until the foreign forced marriage thing, the topic.... 

6 minutes ago, transam said:

So now dodgy foreign marriage stuff in the UK, being discussed here, is racist...

Oh dear, oh dear.........................:unsure:

I'm still trying to decide whether you deliberately misinterpret posts in order to provoke or are simply unable to comprehend: In either case, it's tiresome having to respond to correct your misrepresentation of my view. 

My comment " .. usual bit of racist/ xenophobic tripe ..." was in direct response to your remark: "Enoch is right". I assume that you meant Enoch Powell, who I consider as being a racist and xenophobe. If you want to discuss Powell, open a thread and I'll participate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

I'm still trying to decide whether you deliberately misinterpret posts in order to provoke or are simply unable to comprehend: In either case, it's tiresome having to respond to correct your misrepresentation of my view. 

My comment " .. usual bit of racist/ xenophobic tripe ..." was in direct response to your remark: "Enoch is right". I assume that you meant Enoch Powell, who I consider as being a racist and xenophobe. If you want to discuss Powell, open a thread and I'll participate.

You call my stuff racist tripe, to me, you are the racist even making such a statement.

And Enoch was right, the UK is dealing with his predictions now.

But that is off-topic.....:sorry:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, transam said:

But that is just your opinion, the UK has got along just fine until the foreign forced marriage thing, the topic.... 

These foreign people you talk off and their forced marriages........they are not UK citizens ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

These foreign people you talk off and their forced marriages........they are not UK citizens ?

Their foreign beliefs/religion, whatever, are nothing to do with UK law...

The thread is about change in UK law to accommodate the above....

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Their foreign beliefs/religion, whatever, are nothing to do with UK law...

The thread is about change in UK law to accommodate the above....

Right, so UK citizens.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

You call my stuff racist tripe, to me, you are the racist even making such a statement.

And Enoch was right, the UK is dealing with his predictions now.

But that is off-topic.....:sorry:

You are making a very persuasive case for re-criminalising cannabis in Thailand.

• Haha 1

At the end of the day, has it really got much to do with other cultures?

If, for example, families from the Indian sub continent want their under 18s to get married, they'll just return to their home countries to get it done. Simple.

Grooming gangs? I didn't think marriage was part of their desire.

I don't subscribe to the idea that governments wish to rule with an iron fist and take away all of our rights but I do believe some of the laws are not flexible enough for a diverse and ever changing population.

• Like 2