Farangs Who 'go Native'.......

Luckydog

When it comes to property ownership I don't mind the way it is to a certain degree. If all foreigners could own property and land here then you might find that beautiful house you have would have been far more expensive to buy. And of course if you start giving out citizenship (and the rights to buy property) to every farang that gets a Thai girl pregnant then there's gonna be a whole new can of worms opened.

Another point I just thought regarding the Indians/West Indians, these are people that were in former British territories, they were referred to as British subjects before they even stepped foot on the land weren't they? Got to have helped.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is this discussion about anyway?

If you are a farang(white person, just in case some of you think the word means foreigner), no matter how thai you are, you are a farang in thais' eyes. And this applies to everywhere in the world. Just because a cat can bark doesn't mean you will start calling it a dog. The indians living in England are still indians. And they still get attacked for their skin colour occasionally, don't they?

I grew up in HK. All my friends are chinese. I speak the language fluently and understand everything about the way of living, but in their eyes, I am still different. What is the problem???

Live and let live.

I think the OP just weren't able to understand his friend.

The indians living in England are still indians. And they still get attacked for their skin colour occasionally, don't they?

Really? :o Might have been true a long time ago, but certainly not more than anywhere else in the world.

or you can look at it differently.

in America acountry wich is floded by migrants from all over. everyone loughs about everyone. but most people try and blend in learn english and become americans.

Europe is now full of comunities that did not blend in. and I dont understand why they came there if they dont like the local customs etc..

And what part of america if I may ask are you referring to? I have been to parts of Houston where street signs where in Vietnamese and most of the people I encountered did not speak english.

On the flip side (not to knock on myself), why are things printed in English and Spanish?

Then there are the communities from eastern Europe that arrive with senior citizens who live in special communities because they just can't learn a new language at their age, and they do not want to become a part of their new hosts society.

I am not sure what part of the US you were exposed to, but.. the US is full of communities that do not blend in.

For the record, by no means am I knocking immigration.

It is my impression that, with the possible exception of America (and not always there anymore) it takes one generation for an immigrant family to be accepted as native. Some countries it takes longer and sometimes never. That doesn't have anything to do with the OP however, where his friend has "gone native" because he seems to enjoy it. Well, if he does, why shouldn't he, if he isn't hurting anyone else in the process.

Discrimination against Thai Muslims in the South.

That's a crock of shit (I went to school in Pattani for three years.) And you don't have to look like Thai or Chinese Thai to be considered Thai (that's another crock of shit.) There are a lot of Thai people who are descendants of Indians and Western people. (Keep your eyes open. They exist.) They are all Thai in the eyes of Thai Thais and Thai Chinese? Why? Because they speak perfect Thai, know and respect Thai culture and act like all other Thais.

TG, I think that is true.

However, don't you agree a farang who comes over as an adult has a greater chance of fitting through the eye of a needle than of ever being perceived as a Thai by Thai people?

Nuff Said!

You'll never be Thai, we all know that, and great because I don't want to be Thai, I'm English. But it's easy to become a westerner who speaks the language, and knows the customs and acts accordingly in his environment.

To be honest Luckydog I'm not sure the locals in that dudes village was laughing at him behind his back, seems more a case of your girlfriend telling you what you want to hear. Another Thai custom. :D

The irony is you berated the locals for laughing at your friend behind his back, then started a thread about him hoping to get the same response. With friends like that......... :o

You'll never be Thai, we all know that, and great because I don't want to be Thai, I'm English. But it's easy to become a westerner who speaks the language, and knows the customs and acts accordingly in his environment.

To be honest Luckydog I'm not sure the locals in that dudes village was laughing at him behind his back, seems more a case of your girlfriend telling you what you want to hear. Another Thai custom. :D

The irony is you berated the locals for laughing at your friend behind his back, then started a thread about him hoping to get the same response. With friends like that......... :o

Your not sure the locals were laughing at my friend behind his back eh?

Well shut the F up then....Git!

You're an angry man Luckydog, I think Neeranam got it right when he said this post was about jealousy. You see this dude happy and it upsets you. Your girlfriend notices it upsets you so she's gives you a few lines about how the locals don't like him.

But that ain't enough for you is it Luckydog, oh no, no, no, you got to come on the net to try to get some more support together for your tattered ego from the TV community. :o

Wise up pal, the locals love your friend, shit man, we love your friend! Let's give him a wai :D because those farang handshakes are soooooo dirty.

You're an angry man Luckydog, I think Neeranam got it right when he said this post was about jealousy. You see this dude happy and it upsets you. Your girlfriend notices it upsets you so she's gives you a few lines about how the locals don't like him.

But that ain't enough for you is it Luckydog, oh no, no, no, you got to come on the net to try to get some more support together for your tattered ego from the TV community. :o

Wise up pal, the locals love your friend, shit man, we love your friend! Let's give him a wai :D because those farang handshakes are soooooo dirty.

I don't love him. I like him quite a lot, but love, that's too much. :D

Lucky dog, you didn't get the replies you wanted - this happens - What you gonna do?

I knew the minute I read your post that you were opening yourself for ridicule.

There was something a bit mean-spirited about your comments.

Maybe people will all agree with your next post - perhaps there is a lesson here to be learnt.

Feel free to flame me if it makes you feel better.

Open your heart to our Thai-farang brothers Nidge. :o

I didn't realise he was my brother, i thought he was like a 2nd cousin. Now i have been updated, i love him too :D

Howdy,

On the bright side of it all, I do know a farang in Isaan that has gone "Native" from time to time. When is not working overseas. I tell you for fact the village loves him. They do not consider him Thai....only that he knows the village ways!

I have listened to many stories about this man and wish I had his experience up country. Everyone that I have had the chance to meet in the village has a story of how this farang has helped them. You get the feeling that he is that village's "FARANG". I do respect him and as far as I know everyone else does also. :o

I don't think he acts Thai....Just lives the way they do, and feels good about it.

Chung *j*

Howdy,

On the bright side of it all, I do know a farang in Isaan that has gone "Native" from time to time. When is not working overseas. I tell you for fact the village loves him. They do not consider him Thai....only that he knows the village ways!

I have listened to many stories about this man and wish I had his experience up country. Everyone that I have had the chance to meet in the village has a story of how this farang has helped them. You get the feeling that he is that village's "FARANG". I do respect him and as far as I know everyone else does also. :o

I don't think he acts Thai....Just lives the way they do, and feels good about it.

Chung *j*

Is he hansum man? I think i know him :D

Tell us the village please?

Wise up pal, the locals love your friend, shit man, we love your friend! Let's give him a wai :o because those farang handshakes are soooooo dirty.

When you're so far integrated that as a farang you start waiing other farang you might have lost the plot :D The OP did not exactly explained it like this but that's how I read his post.

No problem with guys that eat thai, speak thai etc. but there's also some people that want to be thai more than thai. They start wearing flip flops because it's a thai thing but wobble along with sore feet and anybody can see they'll never be able to walk with the same grace as a thai.

Then they start to eat bugs and stuff despite the fact that they can't stand it but it's what the thais eat (or so they think) so they have to adapt. Of course everything flushed away with a bottle of lao kao because that's what the thais drink. Given the choice any thai would rather drink a bottle of real whisky but a lot can't afford it so there you go.

All in all some falang really are laughable but then again who cares it's their own life.

Wise up pal, the locals love your friend, shit man, we love your friend! Let's give him a wai :o because those farang handshakes are soooooo dirty.

When you're so far integrated that as a farang you start waiing other farang you might have lost the plot :D The OP did not exactly explained it like this but that's how I read his post.

No problem with guys that eat thai, speak thai etc. but there's also some people that want to be thai more than thai. They start wearing flip flops because it's a thai thing but wobble along with sore feet and anybody can see they'll never be able to walk with the same grace as a thai.

Then they start to eat bugs and stuff despite the fact that they can't stand it but it's what the thais eat (or so they think) so they have to adapt. Of course everything flushed away with a bottle of lao kao because that's what the thais drink. Given the choice any thai would rather drink a bottle of real whisky but a lot can't afford it so there you go.

All in all some falang really are laughable but then again who cares it's their own life.

Some farang may actually enjoy wearing flip flops and eating insects. How do you know their motivation?

Am I trying to be Thai by wearing flip flops? Is everyone laughing at me? Hold on....who cares

Some farang may actually enjoy wearing flip flops and eating insects. How do you know their motivation?

Am I trying to be Thai by wearing flip flops? Is everyone laughing at me? Hold on....who cares

I enjoy wearing them . I enjoy even to eat insects . The only thing I do not enjoy is drinking .

Oh yeah and I do not wai to farang or take a yellow shirt on Mondays. :D

Right.. so as a farang do you wai other farang?

I don't like wearing flipflops but we have 8 cows and they all have healthy digestive systems. Ever tried to get country pancakes off of a pair of trainers? It gets quite tedious after about 15 seconds. Thai's don't wear them because they are thai, they wear them because they are practical.

Is anyone laughing at me? I hope so, laughing is a good thing, it is normally a sign of happiness. :D

A dietician would tell you that adding insects to your diet is smarter than you might think.

They're high protein, virtually fat free and cost free.

Ask any aardvaark or pangolin.

that is the most ridiculous post i have ever seen on this forum, asking a pangolin is fine, but have you ever tried to get a straight answer out of an aardvark? I think not! :o

A dietician would tell you that adding insects to your diet is smarter than you might think.

They're high protein, virtually fat free and cost free.

Ask any aardvaark or pangolin.

that is the most ridiculous post i have ever seen on this forum, asking a pangolin is fine, but have you ever tried to get a straight answer out of an aardvark? I think not! :o

Oh, it's not such aardvaark, a few words of Afrikaans would do the trick. :D

I am NOT an angry man Pal. Only angry when Gits like you make laughable reposts. Go and have another Leo.....Oh! and my Wife says she never says ANYTHING just to please me. O Bluddy K?

^^ Why are you typing in bold, if not angry, LD? Just one thing, I'm a bit confused about... haven't you said in many posts that it's just you & your dogs, that women have been a let-down (apologies for paraphrasing, I'm too lazy to look back & find specific posts). So, who is this Wife that wouldn't say anything just to please you?

\ Of course everything flushed away with a bottle of lao kao because that's what the thais drink. Given the choice any thai would rather drink a bottle of real whisky but a lot can't afford it so there you go.

i will strongly disagree on this point - I have lived in a northern village for years and always do my best to duck around the lao cow circles (if you sit, then you have to drink - the only way to refuse the bannana is not to sit with the monkeys)

but anyways - I have brought some average scotch (jameson, black label) for the villagers to drink and they dont like the stuff and prefer their lao cow or maybe even sangsom - remember we are talking about working villagers here - not those intelligent bangkok thai people or police officers