Does Thai beer really have preservatives in it?

Everyman

Typically commercially produced beer in most countries in Europe for example is just pasteurized and doesn’t have other preservatives.

It’s commonly said however that Thai beer has preservatives in it to keep it from spoiling when left in the heat and sun. It’s also said that this is the origin of the bad hangovers from Thai beer as well as the odd flavor, even for “international” brand like Heineken. There’s an obvious difference between the taste of a Thai heineken and one from the Netherlands or anywhere else for that matter. 

Anyway…are there in fact preservatives in Thai beer that are uncommon in Europe? 

If you have not heard about the preservatives, that’s fine, but I’m interested in getting to the truth of the matter about whether they’re in there or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall that there was a myth floating around many years ago that Boon Rawd used formaldehyde as a preservative in their Singha beer. This was probably a result of the hangovers produced when drinking the then-6% alcohol Singha. There was no truth to this rumor and Singha is now down to 5%, so I think this myth can be busted.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I seem to recall that there was a myth floating around many years ago that Boon Rawd used formaldehyde as a preservative in their Singha beer. This was probably a result of the hangovers produced when drinking the then-6% alcohol Singha. There was no truth to this rumor and Singha is now down to 5%, so I think this myth can be busted.

Exactly. One of those old myths that refuses to die and gets repeated for Thai bashing purposes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They seem to use a poor grade of hops, barley, and the production process seems to be entirely lacking in pride. Typical of the big monopolies. Even a large production beer, like Beer Laos blows away any Thai beer, hands down.

Thailand desperately needs a vital craft beer movement, and the youth are ready to mount it. If only the dinosaurs would stop protecting their "bankers" and move out of the way. In other words, allow some progress, you mindless simpletons! 

Boon Rawd Brewery, which makes Singha, and ThaiBev, which brews Chang, the country’s best-selling beer, are owned and run by two of the wealthiest families in Thailand. Through longevity and political influence, these two breweries have dominated Thai beer for nearly a century, forcing out or crushing any competition, foreign or domestic. And we all know how they easily accomplish this. 

Thaopipob Linjittkorn, or Thao as he is more popularly known, a lawyer and homebrewer, was very publicly arrested in 2017 for making beer. He used that publicity to win an election to Parliament in 2019, along with 80 other members of the Future Forward Party. This progressive, pro-democracy party included in its platform a detailed plan to deregulate the beer industry, as well as a proposal for the legalization of marijuana, citing both as ways of putting money into the pockets of small businesses and local farmers. 

The opposition that Future Forward was up against is a military-backed, hardline government that supports the duopoly with strict regulations that allow it to control over 99% of Thailand’s estimated 180 billion baht ($5.8 billion) beer industry. The duopoly was originally made untouchable with the first Thai Liquor Control Act in 1950, a law which has been amended several times since to push legality even further out of reach of any small brewer. Prayuth's administration has done much to reinforce the isolationist and nationalistic policies that Phibul established in the 1940s and ’50s, and has called again and again for citizens to display a certain level of “Thainess,” which the PM defines in part as unquestioning loyalty to the government. Do not be disobedient! 

For small breweries, it requires production of at least 100,000 liters (852 barrels) but no greater than 1,000,000 liters (8,520 BBLs), and stipulates that all beer must be sold on the premises. At the same time, the minimum amount for an industrial license was increased from one million liters to 10 million liters (85,200 BBLs) per year, as well as requiring that the brewer demonstrate available capital of at least 10 million baht ($320,000).

Just to make sure small brewers were thoroughly intimidated, the rewrite also increased inflated penalties. Fines were increased from their original, almost quaint 200 baht ($6) for possession of bootleg alcohol to 10,000 ($300). For actually brewing without a license, fines were increased from 5,000 baht ($150) to a range of 50,000–100,000 baht ($1,600–$3,200), plus jail time. Reporting in 2017, The Bangkok Post estimated that in order to meet the new regulations, a brewer would need to have a billion baht—around $30 million—in start-up capital. 

For some, craft beer is associated with anti-establishment politics. “It’s very similar to the French Revolution, which started from a cafe in Paris, where people drank coffee,” says Taopiphop. “The fuel of the revolution is not coffee any more, it’s craft beer.” Taopiphop adds that, after the 2014 coup in Thailand, many pro-democracy activists chose to meet in Bangkok’s craft beer bars.

You state 

For small breweries, it requires production of at least 100,000 liters (852 barrels) but no greater than 1,000,000 liters (8,520 BBLs), and stipulates that all beer must be sold on the premises. At the same time, the minimum amount for an industrial license was increased from one million liters to 10 million liters (85,200 BBLs) per year, as well as requiring that the brewer demonstrate available capital of at least 10 million baht ($320,000).   

Just wondering how the " Pullman hotel " in Khon Kaen manages to brew their own beer because I cannot believe they can comply with the brewing laws that you quote . Have to say that their beer / German type lager is the best I have drank in Thailand . 

Maybe a case of who you know ?

• Thumbs Up 1

As a young RAF airman my first overseaes tour, in 1961, was Malaya where draft Tiger Beer was consumed and the same discussion on preservatives frequently took place. The never proven opinion was that formaldehyde was an additive. Seems like urban myths have longevity.

Then, the Tiger brewery was in Singapore and transporting keg beer 500 miles northwards by truck in the sun coupled with external storage more likely affected the beers flavour.

Also on tap were the Aussie beers Swan and Emu. I can't recall those being criticised.

9 minutes ago, superal said:

You state 

Just wondering how the " Pullman hotel " in Khon Kaen manages to brew their own beer because I cannot believe they can comply with the brewing laws that you quote . Have to say that their beer / German type lager is the best I have drank in Thailand . 

Yes it's protectionism to support the big boys. Had an on site brewed IPA at 8% in Samut Prakan last week which I would have sworn was by Fullers in London, fantastic beer. But 250 baht for half a pint was more than you would pay in London

41 minutes ago, superal said:

Good name for a new beer ....."Who You Know".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

As a young RAF airman my first overseaes tour, in 1961, was Malaya where draft Tiger Beer was consumed and the same discussion on preservatives frequently took place. The never proven opinion was that formaldehyde was an additive. Seems like urban myths have longevity.

Then, the Tiger brewery was in Singapore and transporting keg beer 500 miles northwards by truck in the sun coupled with external storage more likely affected the beers flavour.

Also on tap were the Aussie beers Swan and Emu. I can't recall those being criticised.

A bit later for me. 1976 RAF Masirah. Tennents Lager. All cans had to be opened by the Barman in the NAAFi. Unopened ones round the back of the Officers Mess.

837A02A4-09E5-4F70-A1EB-95B6EC452982.png

I don't drink Chang any more because of what I call a "Changover".  It's a kind of muzzy in the head feeling the next day.  I've always assumed that there is an additive that's making that happen.  It would be nice if someone analysed some to find out.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shackleton said:

Chang beer you can't beat it for price and   quality ????

The original Beer Chang was almost nasty.....it was suggested that it might've been a rice beer or spiked with Lao Khao.

The good old days - saam quat loy baht. 

During this same period, they distributed a much higher priced "Chang Export", which was quite a delightful Euro-style real beer. Discontinued for some time.

Just recently [last 6-7 years], they changed the recipe for Chang domestic - as it now resembles a tasty and rich lager that is quite enjoyable. About the same alcohol percentage as the old Chang rot gut. 

• Haha 1

I did work in the alcohol industry here long ago. 11 am tastings were my favorite part of the week. 

We did do a chemical analysis (not me personally but the inhouse team) of all beers. In those days the logistics were immature so we found that formaldehyde could be found to preserve beers. Harmless and the tiny quantities aren't what gives you a headache. The most formaldehyde at that time was found in Heineken as it was imported from Singapore and didn't have a way to distribute outside of a few major cities. Second was Singha as they didn't have the distribution network at the time. Leo came later. 

You have to understand the time it took to deliver and change old bottles for new was counted in weeks not days as it is today. 

I am sure it has changed now 

We used to have a laugh that people said Red Horse was "dirty" and gave them a headache but we knew that at 7% alcohol more than two bottles would hurt the next morning. All the beers were stronger then, including Chang (6%), thus those hangovers. Eventually all beers were watered down though due to the trend in young people to be more health conscious. 

BTW if you've ever drunk Scotch at a distillery in Scotland before they water it down for the sassenachs. Now that will hurt in the morning. 

Whatever the cause, I have never had worse hangovers in my life than Thai beer...tea-total for months and months at times after those horror-core events.

With Beer Lao I could drink 5-6 640ml bottles and be fine by afternoon next day over in Laos...polar opposite to The Thai effect...

23 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I seem to recall that there was a myth floating around many years ago that Boon Rawd used formaldehyde as a preservative in their Singha beer.

I heard similar rumours about Bintang when living in Indo. And this was before social media and fake news became popular