Does Thai beer really have preservatives in it?

Everyman

On 3/1/2023 at 11:01 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I seem to recall that there was a myth floating around many years ago that Boon Rawd used formaldehyde as a preservative in their Singha beer. This was probably a result of the hangovers produced when drinking the then-6% alcohol Singha. There was no truth to this rumor and Singha is now down to 5%, so I think this myth can be busted.

No, it is true.  
That's why all those guys I knew in the Army in Vietnam and Thailand back in the early 1970's who were beer drinkers are still preserved hansum man.  

I'm not because I don't drink!   Just look at my picture!

image.jpeg.3dfe43bc553b3a786d541ee3d17911c8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:01 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I seem to recall that there was a myth floating around many years ago that Boon Rawd used formaldehyde as a preservative in their Singha beer. This was probably a result of the hangovers produced when drinking the then-6% alcohol Singha. There was no truth to this rumor and Singha is now down to 5%, so I think this myth can be busted.

Myth or fact?

Back in the 80's I met 2 *medical professionals  from Ireland  holidaying in Thailand who had been researching this very topic back in the U.K.

(*don't know their exact titles but they worked in a lab testing food)

At that time I was drinking (the original) Amarit because Singha (in excess) used to give me diarrhea.  They casually mentioned to me that Amarit had very little preservatives hence its short shelf life.  They weren't drinking beer so I asked how did they know that.  They told me that they were recently testing many of the beers from around the world and they came to the conclusion that SINGHA was the worst!

They had found it contained formaldehyde and minimal traces of lead.

I'm assuming they tested the SINGHA that is for the export market as it tastes different to the local brew.

Anyway..  that was 1985, things change. Unfortunately the old Amarit is long gone.  A NEW Amarit came along in the 90's at the same time as Carlsberg..  both tasted the same, and fortunately short lived.  Then came Chang???? 

Thai beer HAS preservatives!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Myth or fact?

Back in the 80's I met 2 *medical professionals  from Ireland  holidaying in Thailand who had been researching this very topic back in the U.K.

(*don't know their exact titles but they worked in a lab testing food)

At that time I was drinking (the original) Amarit because Singha (in excess) used to give me diarrhea.  They casually mentioned to me that Amarit had very little preservatives hence its short shelf life.  They weren't drinking beer so I asked how did they know that.  They told me that they were recently testing many of the beers from around the world and they came to the conclusion that SINGHA was the worst!

They had found it contained formaldehyde and minimal traces of lead.

I'm assuming they tested the SINGHA that is for the export market as it tastes different to the local brew.

Anyway..  that was 1985, things change. Unfortunately the old Amarit is long gone.  A NEW Amarit came along in the 90's at the same time as Carlsberg..  both tasted the same, and fortunately short lived.  Then came Chang???? 

Thai beer HAS preservatives!

Here's an interesting post on this issue:

http://lewbryson.com/formaldehyde.htm