Where should/will an agent register me?

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The guy who pays the bribe, the agent and the immigration officer

The guy who pays the bribe = 50,000 ex pats.

The immigration officer = every IO office in Thailand.

The agent = 1000s of working Thais.

The "problem" all stems from the absurd 800/400k rule. Who benefits? The banks. My bags are packed if they ever enforced it. I'd simply take my money elsewhere, and become an occasional visitor, if I still felt it was worth it. I don't remember who brought it in, or when, or why. On average, I spend that 800k every year. In Thailand, almost all of it going to Thais. In the bank? You've got to be joking! I lose 10s of thousands in depreciation. My 12.5k would feed a family of 4 for a month, at least - if I chose to go down that route, of course.

11 minutes ago, bradiston said:

The guy who pays the bribe = 50,000 ex pats.

The immigration officer = every IO office in Thailand.

The agent = 1000s of working Thais.

The "problem" all stems from the absurd 800/400k rule. Who benefits? The banks. My bags are packed if they ever enforced it. I'd simply take my money elsewhere, and become an occasional visitor, if I still felt it was worth it. I don't remember who brought it in, or when, or why. On average, I spend that 800k every year. In Thailand, almost all of it going to Thais. In the bank? You've got to be joking! I lose 10s of thousands in depreciation. My 12.5k would feed a family of 4 for a month, at least - if I chose to go down that route, of course.

something that doesn't get mentioned often enough is the fact that if you are silly enough to put 800k in a Thai bank you get the "foreigner" interest rate which is lower than what the locals get. if that's not corruption then I don't know what is...

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

something that doesn't get mentioned often enough is the fact that if you are silly enough to put 800k in a Thai bank you get the "foreigner" interest rate which is lower than what the locals get. if that's not corruption then I don't know what is...

Yeah, that's if you can get to open a deposit/interest bearing account with a book. It's a joke, the whole system. I've no idea who the schmxxx was who thought this little scheme/scam up. Probably a banker on the payroll.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:34 AM, The Fugitive said:

Nothing to worry about. Despite popular opinion, using an agent does not commit you to use their (or any other agents service in future).

I think it can cause problems with the seasoning of the money during the year, ie 800,000thb for 3 months after and 400,000thb for the remainder of the year.

• Thumbs Up 1