Toxic Air Quality In Thailand Does The Thai Government Plan To Do Anything?

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Does no one within the Thai government have the backbone to get the farmers (huge corporations) to stop burning?

Yes 20 years ago, he got run over by a tractor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Oddly Malaysia the air quality throughout the country is superior to Thailand.

Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand generally have better air quality than central and northern Thailand as the onshore winds tend to bring clean air in and blow bad air away. However, during August to October, depending on how bad the burning season is in Indonesia the air can be bad on the peninsular too.

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes , seen some doing just that the other day, but the problem is much , much

bigger than that.

regards Worgeordie

Yes the Thailands black snow as I call it will continue. 

I wear a mask and glasses riding my scoot or wave. 

• Like 1

The only thing  they can do is to fund farmers cooperative ownership of harvesting and bailing machinery. When I first visited Thailand rice was harvested by hand but now rice farmers use machines.  The same is possible for sugar cane but the processors prefer burnt cane as this accelerates sugar and mollases  production and harvesters prefer burnt cane as its easier to cut by hand.  Processing companies should be made to inventivise the collection of unburnt cane using crushed pulp to fire their boilers and harvesters should have access to bailing machines.  It worked with rice and will work  with sugar cane.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, orchis said:

March and the first week of April are statistically the worst.
Half of the fires are in protected forests. 35% in "reserved forests".
Government in denial, people getting sick.

Last year, vacated Chiang Mai for a month in  Koh Samui. This year a month abroad. I cannot, will not recommend anyone visiting Chiang Mai, presently. I stay inside mostly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Last year, vacated Chiang Mai for a month in  Koh Samui. This year a month abroad. I cannot, will not recommend anyone visiting Chiang Mai, presently. I stay inside mostly.

Sounds like a great place!

stay inside?

living the dream!

????????????‍♂️????????‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

Sounds like a great place!

stay inside?

living the dream!

????????????‍♂️????????‍♂️

Inside my house, then inside the car, then inside the Mall, restaurant, store. The big thing missing? Outdoor activities … hiking, swimming, zip line … but at age 76, been there, done that. Still, advice for anyone I care about … no, “unhealthy”!

10 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Inside my house, then inside the car, then inside the Mall, restaurant, store. The big thing missing? Outdoor activities … hiking, swimming, zip line … but at age 76, been there, done that. Still, advice for anyone I care about … no, “unhealthy”!

Perhaps if you didn’t live in such an unhealthy environment, you would still be hiking, etc, and enjoying yourself outdoors instead of the life you have?

????????‍♂️
Again, why live in such a place?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lion21 said:

The North is worst. I will never go back there, but Bangkok and Pattaya is almost as bad.  I do not recommend traveling in Thailand.

During rainy season only, and then you have to deal with that.  At least it's safe to breathe the air.

20+ yrs and it's only gotten worse every year.   This year the worse, as seems to be 75-100 AQI everyday since the rains stopped.  Not much difference further south.

Some days you can't even see the hills, and they're only 10 kms away

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northstar1 said:

Perhaps if you didn’t live in such an unhealthy environment, you would still be hiking, etc, and enjoying yourself outdoors instead of the life you have?

????????‍♂️
Again, why live in such a place?

Why not if I allow for the burning months? The majority of the year is great to travel in the mountainous North. The life I have is quite enjoyable and has been for over a decade now in the Lanna North.