Toxic Air Quality In Thailand Does The Thai Government Plan To Do Anything?

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hills I referred to,  are westward and 10 kms away, and can't even see today.  

image.png.8ab8727fa3aeea2228ec59da8636a82d.png

Here's that lovely surfside view, and the islands are only 2 kms away.

image.png.aa1e15299b5763985facc0cd2809ca52.png

Welcome to Thailand ... Enjoy the Fresh Air

Yes and wear a mask. ????

5 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

And people continue to Say its only bad for a month!????????????

I’ve lived there, don’t BS me!

Just because you can see across the street doesn’t make it good.

It's horrible.  But 60,000,000 live here, so you put up with it.

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:57 AM, orchis said:

TAT wants more tourists everywhere regardless of health hazards, they are the prime allies of the tourism industry.

Increasing the tourists and western journalists knowledge of this huge problem so they not want to come to Thailand would help for sure. I think that is the only way something actual happen.

• Like 2

The authorities and the tourism industry deny the facts and neglect all the negative effects of the poor air quality.  We all have a responsibility to spread the facts about air pollution in Thailand, so that tourists know and understand this before they come.  Then they avoid booking trips to a country they cannot see because of SMOG and exposing themselves to health risks and lung cancer.  It's really a bit strange that the authorities don't understand something so obvious, because they breathe this poison themselves.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lion21 said:

The authorities and the tourism industry deny the facts and neglect all the negative effects of the poor air quality.  We all have a responsibility to spread the facts about air pollution in Thailand, so that tourists know and understand this before they come.  Then they avoid booking trips to a country they cannot see because of SMOG and exposing themselves to health risks and lung cancer.  It's really a bit strange that the authorities don't understand something so obvious, because they breathe this poison themselves.

Well go ahead plenty of tourists web sites where you can post. 

facebook public best one no good posting here. 

Edited by Kwasaki
Ads in the way

44 minutes ago, Lion21 said:

Well, everyone has google, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find the negatives, problems of any place.

Seems the priority is cheap sex & alcohol, so smog isn't an issue for many.

Seriously, a 2 week holiday of krap air isn't going to kill you.  Ruin you photo opts, but that's about it.  If you have respiratory issues already, would think your google priority would be AQI.

You can't hold everyone's hand.  We rarely get true travel queries, and if you peek at TA ... cheap food & hotels is the priority.

Amazing that people are smart enough, to earn enough money for int'l holiday, can book everything needed, but can't check the weather, air or sea conditions.

Buddha helps those that help themselves.   Sad part is, they return ????

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Well, everyone has google, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find the negatives, problems of any place.

Seems the priority is cheap sex & alcohol, so smog isn't an issue for many.

Seriously, a 2 week holiday of krap air isn't going to kill you.  Ruin you photo opts, but that's about it.  If you have respiratory issues already, would think your google priority would be AQI.

You can't hold everyone's hand.  We rarely get true travel queries, and if you peek at TA ... cheap food & hotels is the priority.

Amazing that people are smart enough, to earn enough money for int'l holiday, can book everything needed, but can't check the weather, air or sea conditions.

Buddha helps those that help themselves.   Sad part is, they return ????

I think if they are coming here with family with kids I am sure they instead would use another destination with better air if they would know about the problem. But they don´t know! So if everyone post a comment on related sites that would help I think. I do it when I have the chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lion21 said:

Right! And their families and kids..

37 minutes ago, Captor said:

So if everyone post a comment on related sites that would help I think. I do it when I have the chance. 

And those sites would be ?

Every site I know, talks about the air pollution, corruption, mysterious deaths, and one of, if not the worst traffic death stats.

Anyone who doesn't know about any or all, isn't doing any research prior to visiting TH.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And those sites would be ?

Every site I know, talks about the air pollution, corruption, mysterious deaths, and one of, if not the worst traffic death stats.

Anyone who doesn't know about any or all, isn't doing any research prior to visiting TH.

The most tourists are not doing any research more than nice beaches and food. Unfortunately. So it is a good idea to enlighten them.  There are many FB sites just for mention only one source, But up to you if you not want to participate and it look like that. So buy one more air cleaner instead and stay indoors..

Deflect and deny seems to be standard government MO.

Remember all the pollution comes from Laos, Burma and Indonesia; not from Big Brother up north.

It absolutely does not come from all the Thai diesel pickups and buses.  The boys in brown check relentlessly and enforcement is their middle name.

Crop burning?  There is no crop burning because we made it illegal.

18 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Deflect and deny seems to be standard government MO.

Remember all the pollution comes from Laos, Burma and Indonesia; not from Big Brother up north.

It absolutely does not come from all the Thai diesel pickups and buses.  The boys in brown check relentlessly and enforcement is their middle name.

Crop burning?  There is no crop burning because we made it illegal.

Well, Thailand certainly has not eradicated burning, but it is a drop in the bucket compared to its neighbors

this is a live firemap showing burns registed in the past 24 hours:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:2023-03-05..2023-03-06,2023-03-05;@103.9,14.6,6z 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It will affect the tourism industry.  More and more travelers will experience this terrible air pollution and never return.  It will spread on social media and fewer will come every year.  Then it will take decades to change.  The air you breathe in Thailand is among the worst in the whole world.  It is of little help to say that it is worse in Dehli.

Screenshot_20230306_135038_AirVisual.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lion21 said:

It will affect the tourism industry.  More and more travelers will experience this terrible air pollution and never return.  It will spread on social media and fewer will come every year.  Then it will take decades to change.  The air you breathe in Thailand is among the worst in the whole world.  It is of little help to say that it is worse in Dehli.

Screenshot_20230306_135038_AirVisual.jpg

As a long term smoker who quit last year and has been healthier and more active than ever before (100- 175km weekly on the bike -- over 1000kms this year so far with regular weekly wakeboarding sessions and the odd run thrown in), i have been destroyed by this years pollution.

I feel worse than I did when I was smoking two packs a day.  It is not sustainable as far as I am concerned, alas nowhere else in the region is much better.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orchis said:

after 6 years I'll be leaving the village I live in.
I also spent 22 years in Bangkok before but never was it this bad.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 092737.png

that is fokking insane. I was just outside bangkok where it had gone purple, and that was tiough, i cant imagine 381

I had to install 3M PM2.5 filter on the AC indoor unit fan and have it running 24/7 to get rid of the particles. It was done in the beginning of february 2023. I also swithed off the 10 inch Hatari fan that i used to keep alwas running drawing air trough the appartment from the other side trough 3M pm2.5 filter because when swithing on the fan the levels increases rapidly even if it filter 3M Pm2.5 from the air intlet. That was far away from getting rid of the PM2.5. so i better have the ventilation fan swithed off until period of better air quality outdoor. Windows and doors are always closed because i hate insects but a little air is entering naturally aspirated trough the air inlet trough the 0.5m2 big PM2.5 filter air inlet..

From June 2022 until mid october 2022 the air quality was fine even if the ventilation fan was running 24/7. The inlet air filter is changing color from white to black within a couple of months.

Measured in bedroom 20 km south of Hua Hin 500 meter from the beach with Airthings View Plus.

Image under showing air quality data starting June 2022 until 6.3.2023.

image.png.90060dfab06a984b91364f22ebc48d1a.png

Edited by Trollmann
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 12:43 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

It's horrible.  But 60,000,000 live here, so you put up with it.

Can you imagine someone actually raising a family and subjecting their children to this filth!

what kind of a human would want to do this?

I can understand Thais, having no where else to go, but a foreigner?

????????

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

Can you imagine someone actually raising a family and subjecting their children to this filth!

what kind of a human would want to do this?

I can understand Thais, having no where else to go, but a foreigner?

????????

Yes, of course I can imagine that!  It might be strange to you, but there are tens of thousands of foreign or mixed Thai/foreign families living in Thailand!   Where do you suggest they go if their jobs, families are here?

Do these air filters really help that much? I know when I turn on my xiaomi it all looks nice and dandy and the digital indicator shows healthy air, but when I wake up in the morning I still feel stuffy and generally bad.

Also, I remember clearly during covid there seems to be almost no air pollution at all, at least here in Bangkok. Can this really be blamed on fires or something else? Did they stop burning during covid?

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Do these air filters really help that much? I know when I turn on my xiaomi it all looks nice and dandy and the digital indicator shows healthy air, but when I wake up in the morning I still feel stuffy and generally bad.

Our Xiaomi s work rather well.  And external meter (non Xiaomi conx) shows AQI & PM2.5 in single digits.

We keep the AC on overnight, not cooling the air, as outside ambient is actually lower than temp setting.  So only working as a dehumidifier, and keeps the RH  at nice level.   Wake up fine, not congested or dryness in nose or throat.  Damn comfy and peaceful sleep and waking.  

In Sukhothai a bit of blue sky showing at 10•30am.

Had to go hospital yesterday for Nebulizer treatment.

Told to keep mask on when outside by Doc. 

Will look at weather every day for air quality.