Have you ever gone more than 48 hours without sleep?

Tayida

Yes more than once, one time did 72 hrs 1985 in India on a brand new oil rig with major issues. Every other time was during catastrophic failures. Drank a lot of iced strong coffee with sugar and lemon in it and every 12 hrs took a shower and changed clothes. Now add to this being 3 decks down in stifling heat working on 1600 HP mud pump and rebuilding 7 ton crankshafts ... Finally around 2000 they made working more than 16 hrs forbidden... In the 70's I heard stories about guys doing it and thought it was BS.. Nope you do what you gotta do to get the rig running..Thank God those days are long gone..

Edited by yankyoakum
misspelled word..
  • Thanks 1

I have done it a couple of times running race cars in 24 hour endurance races.

In my experience mental degradation is more a factor than physical degradation.  Quality and speed of decisions degrade as well as powers of concentration and reaction times.

I certainly would not ever willingly do it again.

7 hours ago, PB172111 said:

You were lucky, I used to go to bed, half an hour before I got up, work a 16 hour day, then when I got home, Dad used to make me lick road clean wit tongue ???? 

Ah, Monty Python's Yorkshiremen sketch.

Always found these documentaries about North Country life absolutely fascinating...

On 3/3/2023 at 2:25 PM, Tayida said:

Have any of you ever faced this situation?

Many times on operational tours of The Gulf, Afghanistan and on exercise in Canada. Don't worry about it!

Edited by bluemoon58

On 3/3/2023 at 7:10 PM, RayWright said:

Keith Richards, 9 days back in 1978. You'll be fine.

That don't count he was super chemically assisted and had a crew of minders and quasi-chemists to take care of him lol ????????

Thats why he didn't die years n' years ago.

Keith used to have full blood transfusions to counter the insane drug life he lived for decades. 

Sailing in the Pacific with dad who got acute appendicitis. I had to sail the boat all by myself for nearly 3 days n nights to get to Noumea. Heavy, heavy breaking swell n storms part of that passage too! Adrenalin and all the focus of managing the boat and her not sinking was all consuming. I crashed for days when we got to port. I was very young then so I recovered quickly.

Thank the gods for the magnificently seaworthy Swanson 48 is all I can say!

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

Yes, back in the day before there was any internet and mobile phones when I was doing Mountain Search and Rescue.  Was out for about 2.5 days in the backcountry attempting to locate some overdue climbers.  Low cloud ceiling and not very good weather grounded the helicopters so we were off on foot.  

Quite often did 48 hours on internet, and think once or twice longer, but a long time ago.

I worked 3 days a week, so could start on internet in evening of last working day and just kept going till couldn't any more. Had to sleep last day of 4 days off though.

I think most I can do now is about 36 hours.

Didn't need drugs or coffee etc- just interested in what I was doing.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never did drugs like that.

Live an interesting life and don't need artificial stimulation.

Magic mushrooms, artificial ??

------

This thread highlights the diversity of individuals and the interesting lives many have lived.

We walk down the street and see ‘just another guy’.... these are the people who stayed up 2.5 days on mountain rescue, bivouacked in the Step in Kazakhstan, Sailed the Pacific... and of course all the rig hands many of whom have traveled and worked days without sleep in remote area’s and carry stories regular folk would simply never comprehend yet start to believe....  

I  did a few times in 2011 when I was 40 years old. Used to have naked sex party with a few girls while smoking ice in a rented On-Nut condo. I survived and fled to USA after one year to save myself before I went in to the deep abyss. That year I smoked ice almost every day, even got caught once in Nana and had to pay 10K to the police to get out. Those were the days. 

36 hours in field in Army, and offshore working straight out 40 hours no hours. If no crises or war, why would you stay up 48 hours? Even we where moving, I think I walked sleep a few times during the 36 hours, but sure. Got delusional and started to see things that was not there. Working 40 hours was not that bad, and got served food, coffe and plenty water and snack whenever I asked for it. 

What is your age? 

Edited by Hummin

Did three days once without sleep at Knebworth '76 (Stones headlining) some chemically induced but the most not. I was young, weather was good and damn, the Stones, man, the Stones!

Edited by nglodnig