Genevieve Lhermitte: Belgian mother who killed her five children euthanised

Scott

Genevieve Lhermitte in court in 2008

A Belgian woman who murdered her five children has been euthanised at her own request, 16 years after the killings.

Genevieve Lhermitte killed her son and four daughters, aged three to 14, in the town of Nivelles on 28 February 2007, while their father was away.

She then tried to take her own life but failed, and ended up calling emergency services for help.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64835051

BBC.jpg

5 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

I prefer the term ‘put to death’

But euthanized sounds appropriate too! We humans imop associate this word with putting down animals!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott said:

A Belgian woman who murdered her five children has been euthanised at her own request, 16 years after the killings.

I came on to see if that was the new word for "executed", but as it was at her own request, it seems appropriate.

However, as someone that wants euthanasia available for all, if desired, It's a shame it isn't available unless we do something so diabolical to deserve the death penalty.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I came on to see if that was the new word for "executed", but as it was at her own request, it seems appropriate.

However, as someone that wants euthanasia available for all, if desired, It's a shame it isn't available unless we do something so diabolical to deserve the death penalty.

It wasn’t the crimes she committed that gave her the choice of ending her life.

• Like 1

Things brings with it a wider issue for me. She brutally murdered her 5 children then attempted to take her own life but failed.

The Belgium court  sentenced her to life in prison in 2008, then to a psychiatric hospital in 2019.

Now she's got her original wish when she carried out the murders, "she" chose to die. She got what she wanted, would it have been better to let her live the rest of her life incarcerated?