Avoid Popular Fried Dough Sticks, Iced Tea For Breakfast: Health Official

webfact

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Heck deep fried donuts were brought to the office daily when I worked in the USA... and those had loads of sugary toppings or fillings!

Explains a lot of health / weight issues over there.   You can easily eat 5 or more 'air/dough' donuts.   Eat 2 cake/batter donuts (also fried) and you're full.   More volume & 'nutrition, less sugar, and probably the same amount of oil absorbed, maybe a slight bit more when cooked.

Healthier & tastier donut ... IMO

Something like Krispy Kreme donuts here, addicting, and can polish off a whole box during the day, if no will power ... ????

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Heck deep fried donuts were brought to the office daily when I worked in the USA... and those had loads of sugary toppings or fillings!

Oh heck.....:)) The US is home to the largest (read fattest) race of humans on the globe......well maybe Tongan ladies might just beat them:)

Donuts are just a small part....but maybe that's what started American stuffing.

Now you have 2kg burgers and buckets of fries! Well done!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am sure eating Pa Thong Ko every day for breakfast is not particularly healthy. Eating them occasionally will do no harm.

I occasionally buy 10 Baht worth to eat with a cup of tea in the afternoon. Yummy.

That a bit relative to the rest of your diet.  Especially if satisfying that sweet tooth daily.

I certainly didn't eat cheesecake every day, as that would be boring.   Switch off to brownies, pineapple pie, chocolate chip cookies, apple turnover/danish, pandan buns, ice cream, dessert roti, all during the week ????

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Always trust your local health and nutrition expert. 

I trust my eyes, nose and gut...

Welcome to Thailand, deep fried everything covered in sugar and washed down with syrup.. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That a bit relative to the rest of your diet.  Especially if satisfying that sweet tooth daily.

I certainly didn't eat cheesecake every day, as that would be boring.   Switch off to brownies, pineapple pie, chocolate chip cookies, apple turnover/danish, pandan buns, ice cream, dessert roti, all during the week ????

Hmm, very very occasionally a piece of cheesecake. In fact, you have given me an idea for tomorrow when I go to buy some milk at 7/11!

6 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Must be a joke...

People here are fond of so many dishes that I consider 'Ahan bpen phit', that it begs the question of why not having a list of at least 20 of bad food dishes.

This Deep-fried dough sticks might make it as part of that list.

In addition to the ubiquitous deep fried this and that, starting with deep fried chicken in local markets. Fried in cheap oils, in non hygienic conditions, re-used oils that have become toxic. And it smells bad. I can smell the deep fried at a distance in markets. Never wanted to taste any of it, and I have never tasted the so-called 'popular Pa Thong Ko fried dough'. Never knew that it existed.

Not that I am a fan of MacDonald, but when I enter to use the washroom, there is never a bad smell like in the markets. There are rules to follow in a MacDonald franchise. Including hygienic.

Oh well, some 7 years ago, I totally lost trust in any Thai cook and cooking. And that is part of the reason.

Other reasons include the use of refined sugar, and the major if not only food taste enhancer.

But quite uncanny that just the 'looks' of fried food act as a repellent for me, but it acts as a bait for so many people...

It's McDonald's bro. Just sayin'

I cook for myself where ever i travel now.  Asian food might be tasty but rarely healthy. Everything is fried, or has sugar,msg, soyasause etc. I don't like it. Will cause stomach problems.

Meet my new friend

d67e1f13a10ae6f3656c04500d86fdd8

Edited by Don Chance
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Now you have 2kg burgers and buckets of fries! Well done!

Well I am actually from the UK.... after a trip to UK for Xmas I brought back to USA a big tin of Quality Street chocolates for the office......when I left first day back it was 3/4 full, in the morning completely empty.. not even a one left. Big girls those cleaning staff!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I trust my eyes, nose and gut...

Welcome to Thailand, deep fried everything covered in sugar and washed down with syrup.. No thanks.

I have eaten at restaurants here that specialize in serving healthy food like brown rice and dishes without nam pla and msg. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

I have eaten at restaurants here that specialize in serving healthy food like brown rice and dishes without nam pla and msg. 

Local Thais on a minimum budget don't have the finances to dine out like that.

They eat unhealthy street food and cheap sugary beverages plugged by the corporate machine.

Those same people later in life can be seen with the symptoms of a life long poor diet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Each time I visit Thailand I notice there are more obese women.  Not a good sign.

Absolutely. In the 25 years or so women and men and kids, have grown....once we would rarely see an overweight young lady.....now the butts are growing!

• Thumbs Up 1