Mae Sai Border Bounce

Hi,

I am looking to do a border bounce later this month. I have dual UK/Irish nationality and am currently here visa exempt. I would like to know:

1. Can I just cross the border into Myanmar, come back into Thailand on the same day, and receive my 45 day visa exempt entry as I would elsewhere?

2. Are there any fees/costs involved at the borders?

3. Can I leave either country on one passport and enter the other country on my other passport should I desire? There is no problem doing this elsewhere in the world e.g I left Germany on EU passport and entered UK on UK passport, but this is Asia...????

Would be great to hear from someone who has done a bounce in the last couple of weeks ????.

Thanks!

Anyway yeah it's 45 days and you leave and return with the passport you have your stamp on now. Or you would likely need to show both passports as of knowing you have the Exit stamp on myanmar side, before re-entering. Easier to just use the same if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Mae Sai-Tachileik border checkpoint has reopened after closing for three years due to the pandemic. Travellers from Thailand entering Myanmar are required to show a vaccine certificate or Covid-19 rapid test.Feb 21, 2566

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kuzie57 said:

The Mae Sai-Tachileik border checkpoint has reopened after closing for three years due to the pandemic. Travellers from Thailand entering Myanmar are required to show a vaccine certificate or Covid-19 rapid test.Feb 21, 2566

Not to Foreign passport holders. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Funny, I already said the border is open, and then we get 5 nonsense comments following.

The point is just about wether Mae Sai now also take additional 'fees' aka corruption, just like most southern borders do. Last report as I said, they asked that person 1500.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

I AM Tod Daniels
and here's the update on how Mae Sai / Tachileik is right now

UPDATE ON MAE SAI / TACHILEIK BORDER CROSSING

Okay "at this time" this is what it appears is going on at that border crossing.

IF you have proof of vax (on paper)
- You stamp out of Mae Sai
- Buy the 500 baht 2 week border pass; looks like a little passport & lets you stay in the border area.
- You stamp in&out of Burma,
- Turn around & stamp right back in to thailand.

You must "buy" the 500 baht border pass, there's no way to get in and out free.

For people who didn't have vax history on paper you need to go to a hospital/clinic (which there are some nearby) and get a negative covid test <- the 7/11 tests are NOT accepted

Thank you for outlining the current status. Just to confirm: when returning to Thailand, you can get a visa exempt entry if desired, right? I ask because when crossing from Ranong to the Grand Andaman resort became possible, this was only for those with multiple entry visas or re-entry permits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

I AM Tod Daniels

Okay "at this time" this is what it appears is going on at that border crossing.

- Buy the 500 baht 2 week border pass; looks like a little passport & lets you stay in the border area.

For people who didn't have vax history on paper you need to go to a hospital/clinic (which there are some nearby) and get a negative covid test <- the 7/11 tests are NOT accepted

Thanks Tod. I hope you didnt mind me using your information. I did credit you at the bottom of the post, I was not trying to take credit for it. Lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

Just to confirm: when returning to Thailand, you can get a visa exempt entry if desired, right?

Yep, 45 day visa exempt entry stamp (ผ.30/45) is being given out with question

This was one from last week

orca-image--70870053.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

Yep, 45 day visa exempt entry stamp (ผ.30/45) is being given out with question

This was one from last week

orca-image--70870053.jpeg

Just like mae sot all the negative poster with the dome and glum.open is open. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kelboy said:

Just like mae sot all the negative poster with the dome and glum.open is open. 

Easy there.... I was the negative poster telling people when Mae Sai / Tachileik first opened it wasn't like Mae Sot/ Myawaddy.

They appear to have gotten with the program there though, and don't seem to care in the least about a person's previous entry/stay history.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 6:06 PM, Tod Daniels said:

I AM Tod Daniels

thank you--so pretty much the same it always has been just adding proof of vaxx form.......as i was hoping to use this location for a 2x/year border hop from CNX

500bt + my 3x pfizer vaxx card

On 3/10/2023 at 11:49 PM, Tod Daniels said:

Easy there.... I was the negative poster telling people when Mae Sai / Tachileik first opened it wasn't like Mae Sot/ Myawaddy.

They appear to have gotten with the program there though, and don't seem to care in the least about a person's previous entry/stay history.

Would you happen to know how long the 45 days exts are going on for?  aka when they will go back to 30 day ext  tnx in advance

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Would you happen to know how long the 45 days exts are going on for?  aka when they will go back to 30 day ext  tnx in advance

If they do not extend (and they most likely will not) the last day with 45 days on a visa exempt entry is March 31st.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

If they do not extend (and they most likely will not) the last day with 45 days on a visa exempt entry is March 31st.

oh well...i will arrive in May and then get exempt+ext....so wouldnt really need mae sai until july + ext and sept +ext for my annual 2x hops= 6 months....just glad its back open