Bank account frozen

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, once a report is made and proof is given, the RTP will investigate and freeze the account if warranted. My GF ordered items from a Facebook poster. The items were said to be shipped. No tracking given. A week goes by, she contacts the seller via messenger, has a back and forth with proof of payment to the sellers account. Seller refused to refund the money yet no items shipped. Went to the RTP Lumpini station and filed a complaint with the photocopies of the messenger chat and the sellers bank info.  A week later my GF was contacted by the RTP. They had frozen the sellers account and when they talked to the seller about the fraud charges she wanted my GF to call her because she would now refund the money. The RTP said it was up to her to contact the seller by phone as they had also locked her Facebook page and messenger app.  GF called, the fraudster was apologetic and sent her the money back via bank transfer from another account. She then asked if my GF would go to the RTP and have them cancel the complaint as she had refunded the money.  GF went to the RTP and had them cancel the complaint she had made, obtained a letter and took it to the bank where the account was locked so the account could be unlocked. However, the bank would not unlock the account as other complaints throughout bangkok had been made and each of those police stations had also asked for the account to be frozen.

How in the world would RTP go about locking FB and Messenger? That may have been said it happen by someone but I don't see how exactly the RTP would go about making that happen. Why would your gf have to go to the sellers bank and have to get the lock on the sellers account removed. Sounds a odd story. 

8 hours ago, Dan O said:

How in the world would RTP go about locking FB and Messenger? That may have been said it happen by someone but I don't see how exactly the RTP would go about making that happen. Why would your gf have to go to the sellers bank and have to get the lock on the sellers account removed. Sounds a odd story. 

Not odd at all. It was done because she decided to drop the complaint and had been refunded. The RTP officer working the case determined the seller was committing fraud so they contacted FB and had the account locked as a fraudulent account in an ongoing investigation. The letter was given to my GF after dropping the charges and she was told by the Lumpini officer to take it to the local branch of Bangkok Bank and give it to the Manager.  It could not be given to the fraudster per police directives.  I still have a copy of the original complaint and the copy of the complaint removal. I also have a copy of the letter she took to the bank to have the account unfrozen.  All kept in case a civil suit was brought against my GF. Also advised to do this by the RTP officer investigating the case.  Nothing odd about it at all. If there is an active investigation the police will freeze bank accounts as well as social media accounts to stop the fraud and gather more evidence.  Again common practice if it is a true and active case. As said the bank could not unlock the account with the letter as the main branch had indicated other RTP offices had also requested the account be frozen for there fraud investigations.  Apparently it was widespread. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not odd at all. It was done because she decided to drop the complaint and had been refunded. The RTP officer working the case determined the seller was committing fraud so they contacted FB and had the account locked as a fraudulent account in an ongoing investigation. The letter was given to my GF after dropping the charges and she was told by the Lumpini officer to take it to the local branch of Bangkok Bank and give it to the Manager.  It could not be given to the fraudster per police directives.  I still have a copy of the original complaint and the copy of the complaint removal. I also have a copy of the letter she took to the bank to have the account unfrozen.  All kept in case a civil suit was brought against my GF. Also advised to do this by the RTP officer investigating the case.  Nothing odd about it at all. If there is an active investigation the police will freeze bank accounts as well as social media accounts to stop the fraud and gather more evidence.  Again common practice if it is a true and active case. As said the bank could not unlock the account with the letter as the main branch had indicated other RTP offices had also requested the account be frozen for there fraud investigations.  Apparently it was widespread. 

I'm not doubting that the fraudster had their bank account frozen, I'm confused and question why the RTP would have the victim (your gf) take a letter to the fraudsters bank to unfreeze the fraudsters account. That makes absolutely no sense. 

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

I'm not doubting that the fraudster had their bank account frozen, I'm confused and question why the RTP would have the victim (your gf) take a letter to the fraudsters bank to unfreeze the fraudsters account. That makes absolutely no sense. 

Because she dropped the complaint and to avoid a potential civil issue since the victim was recompensed the complainant has to complete the complaint removal which included the account being unfrozen. I know silly isn't it....but then TIT. Ergo why the letter written by the RTP stating such.

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 3/6/2023 at 4:12 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, once a report is made and proof is given, the RTP will investigate and freeze the account if warranted. My GF ordered items from a Facebook poster. The items were said to be shipped. No tracking given. A week goes by, she contacts the seller via messenger, has a back and forth with proof of payment to the sellers account. Seller refused to refund the money yet no items shipped. Went to the RTP Lumpini station and filed a complaint with the photocopies of the messenger chat and the sellers bank info.  A week later my GF was contacted by the RTP. They had frozen the sellers account and when they talked to the seller about the fraud charges she wanted my GF to call her because she would now refund the money. The RTP said it was up to her to contact the seller by phone as they had also locked her Facebook page and messenger app.  GF called, the fraudster was apologetic and sent her the money back via bank transfer from another account. She then asked if my GF would go to the RTP and have them cancel the complaint as she had refunded the money.  GF went to the RTP and had them cancel the complaint she had made, obtained a letter and took it to the bank where the account was locked so the account could be unlocked. However, the bank would not unlock the account as other complaints throughout bangkok had been made and each of those police stations had also asked for the account to be frozen.

So if I make a report today, they will freeze the account today, tomorrow or when? Cause if takes weeks, just a waste of time I think

On 3/7/2023 at 10:05 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Is this still about the 1500 THB somebody lend to you?

No. Simple story. Booked an apartment for next week and paid 3000 THB to keep it. Owner told me if can check in one day later as he is not in Bangkok the day I will arrive. He propose me to sleep in hotel for the first night and after he will pick up me the day after and pay for the hotel. But, as I travel with my dog, I refuse it and told him to refund. He disagree and told me that I already booked the place. As well I reply I want the refund as we deal for the 19 as check in date and he cannot keep his word.

3 minutes ago, Tayida said:

No. Simple story. Booked an apartment for next week and paid 3000 THB to keep it. Owner told me if can check in one day later as he is not in Bangkok the day I will arrive. He propose me to sleep in hotel for the first night and after he will pick up me the day after and pay for the hotel. But, as I travel with my dog, I refuse it and told him to refund. He disagree and told me that I already booked the place. As well I reply I want the refund as we deal for the 19 as check in date and he cannot keep his word.

Why not just check in a day later? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why not just check in a day later? 

Because the price for one pet friendly hotel is high (high for me, of course). If cheap, I just found hostels.

53 minutes ago, Tayida said:

So if I make a report today, they will freeze the account today, tomorrow or when? Cause if takes weeks, just a waste of time I think

Could be a week, could be longer, or they could decide the case is not worth investigating.

25 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

No

An account will be frozen if a court/judge gives the order, police alone can't do it.

Thank you for your answer and i can say many users gave me the same answer: but why who wrote about her gf's story, wrote that the scammer account was frozen without going through a court order? I know you don't know the answer, just ask what you think. Thank you again.

28 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Could be a week, could be longer, or they could decide the case is not worth investigating.

Ok. So is not done immediately. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Tayida said:

Thank you for your answer and i can say many users gave me the same answer: but why who wrote about her gf's story, wrote that the scammer account was frozen without going through a court order? I know you don't know the answer, just ask what you think. Thank you again.

I guess he misunderstood something, or maybe his GF had some connections that pulled some strings, what he described is definitely not the normal procedure.

My girlfriend was in a similar position in the past, and I was involved in every step, I was at the police station every time with her, and my Thai is good enough to understand what everybody says.

Step 1: Prepare all evidence, print chat logs, money transfer receipts, and also get a statement from your bank and highlight the transaction. Better get 2 copies or everything, and sign every page in blue ink.

Step 2: Go to the police station and report it, there are actually two choices for a report "บันทึกประจำวัน", let's call this "A", and then there is "แจ้งความดำเนินคดี", let's call this "B"

Option A is basically useless, they just record what you tell them, but there is no need for them to act upon this. They will probably try to talk you into A, simply because they are lazy, and if they talk you into A, you can be sure that after this nothing will happen.

So you have to insist on option B, and then you tell them what happened, they write it down, you sign it and you hand over your evidence. When signing it make sure that the form doesn't say "บันทึกประจำวัน", they might trick you into doing A, but option B is what you want. Because if you submit the report according to B they are actually forced to act.

Step 3: A few months later (if you get the press involved, have connections, or pay a bribe this might happen sooner) they will have inspected the evidence that you gave them in step 2, and if it's plausible they will call you, ask you to come in again, maybe clarify some details and you have to sign some documents again.

Step 4: They will send a letter to the person who you accuse to come to the police station. The person has two weeks to do this. If they don't show up, another letter is sent, giving them another two weeks. If they still don't show up the police will contact the court to issue an arrest warrant, this will take another month or two.

Step 5:

If the person attended the police station on their own, they will then give their statement, and if they and you want you can do a deal there with them.

If the person doesn't show up police has an arrest warrant from a court, and they will try to arrest him/her, then at some point take them to court, where a judge will rule the case. It might be that when an arrest warrant is issued the bank account is frozen as well, but I'm not sure.

So in case of the other poster, I would assume that either his girlfriend has connections, or his time frame is not accurate. The bank account was probably never frozen.

I'd assume that the girlfriend did the police report, police called the fraudster to the police station, and OP's girlfriend agreed that withdraw any charges if the person refunds the money, and that's it. If the girlfriend has connections, or maybe the police officer was somehow motivated, this might have happened within a week, but in normal circumstances expect this to take months.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thumbs Up 1

You want to get the BiB involved over moving into an apartment a day late....................The mind boggles...............:crazy:

Even the BiB will cost you money. Sleep in a cheap resort for one night with your dog.....Gawd..................:ermm:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tayida said:

Because the price for one pet friendly hotel is high (high for me, of course). If cheap, I just found hostels.

But the "scammer" has offered to pay for the hotel so the price shouldn't bother you.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 3:38 PM, zedzz said:

well my Santander  account was frozen no warning no reason when i phoned them no reason just a slight hint of tax, so i asked if they need my P.60 as i had this years copy, they seemed to laugh it off???  but i sent that and another bank statement my account was unfrozen 

within 48 hours. as this meant i had my pension stopped being able to access it for 3 weeks all told , i transferred that money that i had  taken out of my savings account in another bank, both banks were in my name with the same address but for some unknown reason they froze my account again '' was it because i had the nerve to put my money into a bank that would not freeze my account because thats all that i done, after one Santander contact staff informed me it was ''electronic's when i phoned them again i was told that my log-in details had to change ??? and my bank would send the new ones by post within 14 days

three weeks on and no mail with regard to my new log-in details, it felt like Santander employed naughty children who promised to behave but in the end  could not keep their promises its three months on now as Santander have denied me access to my state pensions

i will soon run out of money ,altogether, i am 72 years old  i think Santander denying my access to my state pension is illegal and they tried to make out i had put the wrong details into my log-in to many times, but the login details only changed when i asked about this freezing OAP Pension's and the law.. some of these bankers are bad people we need more well trained staff at banks as from my vantage point  they don;t know their <deleted> from their elbow

Error..

Edited by couchpotato

13 hours ago, transam said:

You want to get the BiB involved over moving into an apartment a day late....................The mind boggles...............:crazy:

Even the BiB will cost you money. Sleep in a cheap resort for one night with your dog.....Gawd..................:ermm:

+1  Agree.

Not worth the time, hassle nor money.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Tayida said:

Try any short time room, Their all night rates seems to be 600-800 only.

Try see solutions, rather than another new problem. The latter seems to be the case her.

38 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why should he? 

Because, as I wrote, we agreed that the day I would take possession of the apartment would be the 19th and instead he asked to move it to the 20th.

30 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

Try any short time room, Their all night rates seems to be 600-800 only.

Try see solutions, rather than another new problem. The latter seems to be the case her

Did short time room accept pets?

14 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

I guess he misunderstood something, or maybe his GF had some connections that pulled some strings, what he described is definitely not the normal procedure.

My girlfriend was in a similar position in the past, and I was involved in every step, I was at the police station every time with her, and my Thai is good enough to understand what everybody says.

Step 1: Prepare all evidence, print chat logs, money transfer receipts, and also get a statement from your bank and highlight the transaction. Better get 2 copies or everything, and sign every page in blue ink.

Step 2: Go to the police station and report it, there are actually two choices for a report "บันทึกประจำวัน", let's call this "A", and then there is "แจ้งความดำเนินคดี", let's call this "B"

Option A is basically useless, they just record what you tell them, but there is no need for them to act upon this. They will probably try to talk you into A, simply because they are lazy, and if they talk you into A, you can be sure that after this nothing will happen.

So you have to insist on option B, and then you tell them what happened, they write it down, you sign it and you hand over your evidence. When signing it make sure that the form doesn't say "บันทึกประจำวัน", they might trick you into doing A, but option B is what you want. Because if you submit the report according to B they are actually forced to act.

Step 3: A few months later (if you get the press involved, have connections, or pay a bribe this might happen sooner) they will have inspected the evidence that you gave them in step 2, and if it's plausible they will call you, ask you to come in again, maybe clarify some details and you have to sign some documents again.

Step 4: They will send a letter to the person who you accuse to come to the police station. The person has two weeks to do this. If they don't show up, another letter is sent, giving them another two weeks. If they still don't show up the police will contact the court to issue an arrest warrant, this will take another month or two.

Step 5:

If the person attended the police station on their own, they will then give their statement, and if they and you want you can do a deal there with them.

If the person doesn't show up police has an arrest warrant from a court, and they will try to arrest him/her, then at some point take them to court, where a judge will rule the case. It might be that when an arrest warrant is issued the bank account is frozen as well, but I'm not sure.

So in case of the other poster, I would assume that either his girlfriend has connections, or his time frame is not accurate. The bank account was probably never frozen.

I'd assume that the girlfriend did the police report, police called the fraudster to the police station, and OP's girlfriend agreed that withdraw any charges if the person refunds the money, and that's it. If the girlfriend has connections, or maybe the police officer was somehow motivated, this might have happened within a week, but in normal circumstances expect this to take months.

Do you think it's worth all this for 3000 THB?

19 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Step 5:

So it is not a quick action to freeze the account: thought it takes one-two days to do that.