Thailand spent ฿444bn in the fight against COVID-19 in past three years

snoop1130

56 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Lol. How much of that money was donated, along with vaccines masks, etc from USA and other countries?  Even China made vaccine donations (which are a complete failure).   Happily accepted for free and sold to the public for profit. 

No money was donated, some vaccine was donated by the US and China, this is bacause demand outstripped supply which was primarily based in the West. Private hospitals, not government hospitals, did acquire vaccine and sell it to the public, this is because they bought and paid for its importation, that's because they are private business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze276 said:

Lol. How much of that money was donated, along with vaccines masks, etc from USA and other countries?  Even China made vaccine donations (which are a complete failure).   Happily accepted for free and sold to the public for profit. 

Yes in addition to the mask and supplies donated, along with ventilators the US donated 2 million USD. Unilever donated 12 million Thb, OISHI donated 24 million Thb, Prudential donated 4.9 million Thb to 4 hospitals and many others donated including a personal donation of 2.8 billion Thb from the countries King....all donated to assist with Covid on top of what the government spent to buy supplies and vaccines from Sinovac, Sinkpharm, Pfizer, Moderna and then the lab making AZ.

Many friends and I adopted families, gave them money to assist and then stocked a few if the food boxes set outside in Areas near us.

The country did not sell the vaccines from China or others for profit.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes in addition to the mask and supplies donated, along with ventilators the US donated 2 million USD. Unilever donated 12 million Thb, OISHI donated 24 million Thb, Prudential donated 4.9 million Thb to 4 hospitals and many others donated including a personal donation of 2.8 billion Thb from the countries King....all donated to assist with Covid on top of what the government spent to buy supplies and vaccines from Sinovac, Sinkpharm, Pfizer, Moderna and then the lab making AZ.

Many friends and I adopted families, gave them money to assist and then stocked a few if the food boxes set outside in Areas near us.

Er, what percentage of 444 billion does that come to, please?

And er, can we see some links to prove what you claim, please?

Edited by nigelforbes

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

OK got it!

Unicef donated 12 million dollars of Unilever soap and hand sanitizer products.

The US allocated 2 million US as part of its overseas development aid budget.

Oishi, a Thai company, gave 12 million o the Red Cross.

Overseas aid during covid was virtually non-existent, neither requested nor needed.

BTW, I thought I was on your ignore list as of yesterday.

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

....and Pfizer, and Moderna, I received them both for free. And, 

"The social security system will pay unemployed workers up to 50% of their wages for up to six months. For labourers and workers who are not covered by social security, 45 billion baht has been earmarked for cash handouts"

.The state-owned Government Savings Bank has allocated up to 30 billion baht to provide low interest loans for individuals.

"The Government Savings Bank will also loan a total of 150 billion baht to various financial institutions at an interest rate of 0.01% per annum. These institutions will then provide businesses with low-interest loans – 2% on the first 20 million baht, for the first two years".     and

"the Social Security Office and financial institutions will offer low-interest loans to employers who are registered with the Social Security Office and have contributed to the Social Security Fund for at least three months. These loans can total up to 30 million baht and will have an interest rate starting at 3%loans can total up to 30 million baht and will have an interest rate starting at 3% per annum. Upon receiving the loan, employers must retain insured employees for at least three years".

And, plus plus plus

https://www.grantthornton.co.th/insights/articles/thai-governments-economic-response-to-covid-19/ 

Believe what you want. 

Unfortunately at least 70% was pocketed by corrupt (everyone in government) officials. 

That Moderna you received was payed by orders from private hospitals then 30% was taken by the government in the guise of the Red Cross. 

Most Pfiezer was donated by foreign and has expired at least 6 months ago. 

Prices for the lousy Chinese vaccines and Astra Zenica have never been publicly provided. 

"The social security system will pay unemployed workers up to 50% of their wages for up to six months. For labourers and workers who are not covered by social security, 45 billion baht has been earmarked for cash handouts"

Never happened. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Believe what you want. 

Unfortunately at least 70% was pocketed by corrupt (everyone in government) officials. 

That Moderna you received was payed by orders from private hospitals then 30% was taken by the government in the guise of the Red Cross. 

Most Pfiezer was donated by foreign and has expired at least 6 months ago. 

Prices for the lousy Chinese vaccines and Astra Zenica have never been publicly provided. 

Never happened. 

My wife was paid, maybe she was the only person in Thailand, you think!

As for the rest of it, provide some authoritative links from well know reputable sources to confirm the things you said, otherwise it's all just nonsense and hot air.

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

My wife was paid, maybe she was the only person in Thailand, you think!

Your wife  works for the government. 

"Hundreds of billions of baht have been spent to keep the country afloat during Covid and there are plenty of whispers that politicians and government officials have kept a significant portion of the subsidy money."

https://www.thaienquirer.com/39504/opinion-government-corruption-involving-covid-relief-must-be-punished-severely/

Newbies always think Thailand is squeaky clean when they first arrive. 

Perhaps after actually living in Thailand you'll possibly have a more realistic view and stop spouting nonsense?

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

Your wife probably works for the government. 

"Hundreds of billions of baht have been spent to keep the country afloat during Covid and there are plenty of whispers that politicians and government officials have kept a significant portion of the subsidy money."

https://www.thaienquirer.com/39504/opinion-government-corruption-involving-covid-relief-must-be-punished-severely/

Newbies always think Thailand is squeaky clean when they first arrive. 

Perhaps after actually living in Thailand you'll possibly have a more realistic view and stop spouting nonsense?

I've lived here full time since 2002 and part time since 1996.

My wife has a tour guide license but hasn't worked in employment for six years, she currently runs her own business. She has never worked for the government.

When I wrote, "provide some authoritative links from well know reputable sources to confirm the things you said", perhaps you didn't understand what authoritative sources means. I did not mean a quote from some hack who talks about "plenty of whispers". Even the link that you did provide still didn't confirm the things you said so please try again.

35 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I don't think so. 

But for the record, I  lived in Beijing and Guangzhou during 1993/94,  worked here between 1995 and 1996, lived in Hong Kong from handover in 1997 until 2002 when I retired and moved to Thailand. I was living in Bangkok when they were pounding the piles for the sky train on Sukhumvit, long before the new Thermae opened.

Edited by Rimmer

19 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Foreigners come to Thailand and expect all numbers on every subject to be manipulated by government, the value of the baht, the number of tourists, the number of covid deaths, dear God, is there no end to it all! Have you ever stopped to think that perhaps some posters are married to or have partners who work in the medical system and news of falsified numbers would seep out? Have you ever stopped to wonder why those of us that use the medical system had no problems during covid, seeing doctors, obtaining medical assistance, getting hospital beds? Is that because the numbers had been manipulated and really the medical system was overwhelmed with cases, or was it because there was in fact very few to begin with! All rhetorical questions of course, just for you to ponder.

@nigelforbes And have you ever pondered why foreigners think everything is manipulated by the government cuz their figures just don't add up.  funny how America have had Thailand on their watch list for countries that manipulate their currency for years.     And when i went to pattaya nye 2021 every man and his dog had covid.   Now admittedly they weren't in hospital so obviously wouldn't be added to any figures but if it was that rampant there, then in turn in would be spreading to the community where there would be potential of hospitalization, yet the hospitals were empty.    Just for you to ponder.   

4 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@nigelforbes And have you ever pondered why foreigners think everything is manipulated by the government cuz their figures just don't add up.  funny how America have had Thailand on their watch list for countries that manipulate their currency for years.     And when i went to pattaya nye 2021 every man and his dog had covid.   Now admittedly they weren't in hospital so obviously wouldn't be added to any figures but if it was that rampant there, then in turn in would be spreading to the community where there would be potential of hospitalization, yet the hospitals were empty.    Just for you to ponder.   

Let's deal with the easy one first.

If you click on the attached link and spend no more than 5 minutes reading the contents, you'll better understand the currency manipulation issue which the link puts into perspective. In short, if Thailand is a currency manipulation, using the criteria the Federal Reserve Bank describes, so is Switzerland, Germany, Taiwan and a host of other countries. If you think Thailand's numbers don't add up, it's probably because you don't understand them, the attached Baht Thread may help that.

https://www.cfr.org/article/tracking-currency-manipulation

You wrote that you were in Pattaya on NYE 2021, at that time Thailand had recorded about 2 million cases which is about 3% of the (70 mill.) population. That is hardly every man and his dog.  Late December 2021 was also a seasonal low point in the number of cases hence it's not very surprising that the hospitals were not exactly overloaded. The following link describes.

https://covid19.who.int/region/searo/country/th

After you've pondered those things, feel free to come back to me with any questions.