What is a reasonable salary for lecturer at private university in Bangkok?

Hi all, 

Long time lurker, but finally made an accout to post!

I will be graduating as a PhD in Management from a top 5 school in Europe soon, and unlike my other colleagues, I would not want a stressful academic career... Instead, I want to move to Thailand!

Any experiences to share? How much salary am I expecting? Old posts suggests base of 60K + teaching + housing... would that be in line with my experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: have ±5 years of working experience across Fortune 500s

Edited by chickennoodlesoup
  • Confused 4

You will get somewhere between 30,000 and 50,000. There are an exception or two at places such as MUIC on Mahidol's Salaya campus, where starting pay is around 75,000. And MUIC is probably about the best situation you can expect to find in Thailand.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chickennoodlesoup said:

unlike my other colleagues, I would not want a stressful academic career... Instead, I want to move to Thailand!

The good news for you is that you will get plenty of stress free opportunities, if that is what you want. You can easily avoid publishing. In fact, most foreigners in Thai universities can't really publish. They're hired because they speak English and have a credential. Few manage to publish in Q1 journals at all. So if you don't want to publish either, you'll fit right in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Reasonable is 100,000 for Thailand in 2023; however, the offer will not be reasonable.   Expect anywhere from 25,000 to maybe 40,000.  Harvard or blah blah school in nowhere land gets the same wage.  If you are from a “Top 5 school in Europe” I would hope you can figure out Thailand is one of the WORST places on Earth to make money if you are a farang.  

Thanks for the advice - though, if I really wanted to make big bucks, I would've stayed Switzerland (where the average salary for a PhD is over 140K Euros...). I will, however, like you said, manage my expectations. 

3 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

Universities in Thailand need a certain percentage of their faculty to have PhDs.  If you find a University (probably outside of Bangkok) that needs someone with a doctorate you can pretty much name your price,

Thanks for the tip. Will take a look around ????.

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Ph D in Management [what does it mean?] can expect 75K+ and if you're lucky even more.

However Europe [even top 5] is not English speaking land, right? 

A PhD in Management is basically a business PhD. We can research anything from corporate strategy, ecosystems....to HR practises, for example. 

All PhDs from well-known schools are taught in English. But regardless, I am from North America (but look Asian).

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

The good news for you is that you will get plenty of stress free opportunities, if that is what you want. You can easily avoid publishing. In fact, most foreigners in Thai universities can't really publish. They're hired because they speak English and have a credential. Few manage to publish in Q1 journals at all. So if you don't want to publish either, you'll fit right in.

I want to publish, just not sure if I want to spend so much time trying to get into A journals ;). 

Are there any websites I can be looking at to find these opportunities? 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, chickennoodlesoup said:

Thanks for the advice - though, if I really wanted to make big bucks, I would've stayed Switzerland (where the average salary for a PhD is over 140K Euros...). I will, however, like you said, manage my expectations. 

Thanks for the tip. Will take a look around ????.

A PhD in Management is basically a business PhD. We can research anything from corporate strategy, ecosystems....to HR practises, for example. 

All PhDs from well-known schools are taught in English. But regardless, I am from North America (but look Asian).

I want to publish, just not sure if I want to spend so much time trying to get into A journals ;). 

Are there any websites I can be looking at to find these opportunities? 

I've never seen an ad put out anywhere. When I was heading up a program, I did accept unsolicited vitas and invited some people in for interviews. Mostly, hiring is done through friends--or at least it was in my division. Were I you, I would just go to some of the universities' websites, look into their programs, and then do two things: 1) mail in your vita to the program director and 2) look for the general hiring page on their websites. If you're not too picky, you might look into Cambodia and Laos, too. Vietnam might be hiring again as well.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, KhaoNiaw said:

If you're a bit selective about exactly which private university you choose (and you should also look at international schools of government universities), you should certainly find a 75,000 baht plus starting salary.

Top international schools are out of the question without teaching qualifications and international teaching experience. The op should look to universities for employment, though the salaries can vary considerably. In this case the op should preferably have a publication record. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Top international schools are out of the question without teaching qualifications and international teaching experience. The op should look to universities for employment, though the salaries can vary considerably. In this case the op should preferably have a publication record. 

I was referring to the international schools of universities as in School of .......... Maybe better to say "international colleges" then. 

3 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I was referring to the international schools of universities as in School of .......... Maybe better to say "international colleges" then.

There are a number of international programs and universities here. My son attends mahidol university international college. He has some foreign professors as well as thai. I've no idea what their salaries are like though. Assumption university springs to mind. Chula and thammasart also have international programs. Just look at their webpages for vacancies

On 3/10/2023 at 7:48 AM, BananaStrong said:

Reasonable is 100,000 for Thailand in 2023; however, the offer will not be reasonable.   Expect anywhere from 25,000 to maybe 40,000.  Harvard or blah blah school in nowhere land gets the same wage.  If you are from a “Top 5 school in Europe” I would hope you can figure out Thailand is one of the WORST places on Earth to make money if you are a farang.  

You post some really senseless information at times...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I taught part time at the Asian Institute of Technology. Their School of Management is well thought of. Salaries around 150k b./mth. + opportunity to add more with travel, for permanent faculty.

Edited by Chicksaw

On 3/10/2023 at 12:59 PM, John Drake said:

Well, I taught at a Rajabhat University. Standard salary 28800k per month, 23 hours a week. Wouldn't say it was stress free, actually teaching in a primary school was a much better experience.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't see that degree as especially marketable. In fact, I find it totally odd. A PhD in Marketing.

Provincial college universities about 20k

Bangkok university not top three 25k

Both of these are for 12 to 15 hours I'm guessing.

Top three universities depending on hours 30-105k. The top end of this might take you three or four years to acquire the classes. It's also possible that other teachers not stepping aside and you never do

Chula offered me 57k I think for 12 hours. As each course and set of contact hours were added I would be bonus stop I believe it was about 15,000. As I recall the top salary for four courses was a bit over 100k. My resume is pretty impressive but I only have a postgraduate diploma in education.

Edited by Menken
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Menken said:

You're way off with that one and only thinking about government institutions. Going private would be much different.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

7 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You're way off with that one and only thinking about government institutions. Going private would be much different.

Only the top three. I was only offered 25k for a boatload of work+ 12 hours contact at a 'central BKK university' five years or so ago

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What are your qualifications?

At the time

BA top 70 US university, grad diploma Education, US teriary license, Full Thai credential. Two years EFL language school Korea, Seven years top five BKK secondaries. Some impressive activities and student support. Four years technical trainer and software support.

Actually, it might have been 27k. The interviewer said they might be ab6to get me to something like 55k by combining two positions. Lol, pass. I will say I know a teacher there qualified, published. He's making serious money, even has staff but I imagine half his job tedious editing papers and theses

Best money is in private secondaries. No idea why people here are driven to teach university unless it's just shorter hours. It doesn't pay well and usually comes with free sidework which is often as many or more hours than classroom. I more or less turned down that Chula job bc I wasn't going to drop to 57k and maybe be able to get to 100 in four years. I was making decent money and easy gig. Potentially lose 150-300k over a few years.

Edited by Menken
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Menken said:

Only the top three. I was only offered 25k for a boatload of work+ 12 hours contact at a 'central BKK university' five years or so ago

I started at a private university in Bangkok in year 2000 on 40k. It was much better than was on offer at any state university. No idea what that would be now - maybe it hasn't changed!

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Menken said:

At the time

BA top 70 US university, grad diploma Education, US teriary license, Full Thai credential. Two years EFL language school Korea, Seven years top five BKK secondaries. Some impressive activities and student support. Four years technical trainer and software support.

Actually, it might have been 27k. The interviewer said they might be ab6to get me to something like 55k by combining two positions. Lol, pass. I will say I know a teacher there qualified, published. He's making serious money, even has staff but I imagine half his job tedious editing papers and theses

Best money is in private secondaries. No idea why people here are driven to teach university unless it's just shorter hours. It doesn't pay well and usually comes with free sidework which is often as many or more hours than classroom. I more or less turned down that Chula job bc I wasn't going to drop to 57k and maybe be able to get to 100 in four years. I was making decent money and easy gig. Potentially lose 150-300k over a few years.

I don't mean disrespect in any way... but graduates from my school with a PhD in Management teach at top 10 schools in US, top 3 in Canada, and top 5 in Europe... However, if you still think a fancy degree is useless in Thailand, then perhaps I need to consider other options ????.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2023 at 1:37 AM, chickennoodlesoup said:

I don't mean disrespect in any way... but graduates from my school with a PhD in Management teach at top 10 schools in US, top 3 in Canada, and top 5 in Europe... However, if you still think a fancy degree is useless in Thailand, then perhaps I need to consider other options ????.

I do. Don't come to Thailand for money. I graduated from a well known, somewhat famous university. Only one person (another teacher) said oh wow impressive. No Thai employer ever mentioned. They have been quite impressed by my Thai employment record though.

What did you plan to do with a "PhD in Marketing" anyway. Sounds like total overkill.

K12 is in full gear for hiring, university a few months ahead.

I doubt anyone would pay you more than standard salary at any K12 bc your degree is not Education, English or liberal arts unless they are hiring business teacher

Have you been looking yourself? The outcome of your search?

Lots of uni jobs ebb and flow out of Rangsit.

Teach in those OTHER countries ???????? ????

Edited by Menken

On 3/24/2023 at 1:03 PM, Menken said:

I really don't see that degree as especially marketable. In fact, I find it totally odd. A PhD in Marketing.

Both of these are for 12 to 15 hours I'm guessing.

Top three universities depending on hours 30-105k. The top end of this might take you three or four years to acquire the classes. It's also possible that other teachers not stepping aside and you never do

Chula offered me 57k I think for 12 hours. As each course and set of contact hours were added I would be bonus stop I believe it was about 15,000. As I recall the top salary for four courses was a bit over 100k. My resume is pretty impressive but I only have a postgraduate diploma in education.

Could someone explain what the motivations are to work for such ridiculous numbers? And in Thailand?!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:03 PM, Menken said:

Where are you getting your figures from? 

I was offered 34,000 in a provincial private university 15 years ago. I turned it down.

Even at that time, Rajabhat universities were offering 28,000. 

• Like 1