What is a reasonable salary for lecturer at private university in Bangkok?

The foreigners I know at Chula are mostly earning around 35-45k THB. That's in a different major, and it's taught in English, but it's typically 6 hours a week teaching, with additional pay for extra classes. I know a couple of people earning 80k+ but they have a strong research background and high publication requirements. They are discouraged from taking on additional classes, etc. because they are supposed to be doing research. 

Those figures include small allowances for housing and health insurance, so small that they wouldn't cover either. 

There are a couple of foreigners on local contracts because they are married to Thais or some such. They get paid less and have a lot of additional admin duties, but they have job security I guess, and maybe they are enrolled in state health or pension schemes or something, I don't know.

I teach occasional classes for them when it fits around my other work, but I wouldn't go full time for those wages.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Could someone explain what the motivations are to work for such ridiculous numbers? And in Thailand?!!

As I understand the most recent thread some are making 40k or thereabouts. That's ok money for 12 hours sorta but not really. I think most would never qualify to teach at home and or jobs just not there for them.

I started to teach to get out of the condo. I'm married my wife considerably younger. My initial retirement plan did not include getting married (to a woman without a penis). Money helps.

I've had some bad employers, managers but the kids aside from two classes in ten years are great. I've always enjoyed going to work. Work at important schools, lovely campuses and smart kids.

It's been a great run. I've helped hundreds of students with university dreams and a bit of English too.

I've been able to save a considerable amount of money over nine years. Never once nother with second jobs, online teaching. The trick is having a budget and living simply.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

The foreigners I know at Chula are mostly earning around 35-45k THB. That's in a different major, and it's taught in English, but it's typically 6 hours a week teaching, with additional pay for extra classes. I know a couple of people earning 80k+ but they have a strong research background and high publication requirements. They are discouraged from taking on additional classes, etc. because they are supposed to be doing research. 

Those figures include small allowances for housing and health insurance, so small that they wouldn't cover either. 

There are a couple of foreigners on local contracts because they are married to Thais or some such. They get paid less and have a lot of additional admin duties, but they have job security I guess, and maybe they are enrolled in state health or pension schemes or something, I don't know.

I teach occasional classes for them when it fits around my other work, but I wouldn't go full time for those wages.

Does everyone working legally not have health insurance though the Thai social program? 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Does everyone working legally not have health insurance though the Thai social program? 

I believe by law when employing foreigners for white collar and technical positions the employer must offer something. It's always minimal and often pays 50% involving motorcycles. Public and private K12 do a mix of private and government insurance (one or other). Private insurance probably easier because an agent is involved rather than diy.

No idea what insurance universities will cover for its instructors. Could even be the university.

Edited by Menken

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Teachers in private universities pay Thai social insurance contributions. Someone in a government university once told me he didn't receive any health insurance but I don't know if that's standard.  

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Not on Smart visas. You have to have foreign/external cover for the first year but not for the annual renewals. 

3 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Teachers in private universities pay Thai social insurance contributions. Someone in a government university once told me he didn't receive any health insurance but I don't know if that's standard.  

All government schools should enroll their teachers in the Thai social security scheme.

Whoever told you they weren't should get their employers to enroll them. It's the law.

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Not on Smart visas. You have to have foreign/external cover for the first year but not for the annual renewals. 

I think you are confused.

The question was regarding those working in Thailand. 

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 hours ago, Menken said:

I believe by law when employing foreigners for white collar and technical positions the employer must offer something. It's always minimal and often pays 50% involving motorcycles. Public and private K12 do a mix of private and government insurance (one or other). Private insurance probably easier because an agent is involved rather than diy.

No idea what insurance universities will cover for its instructors. Could even be the university.

All government schools should, by law, enroll their teachers in Thai social security scheme.

This covers 100% of medical bills

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

I think you are confused.

The question was regarding those working in Thailand. 

It would seem that you are confused. Smart visas, at least Smart-T, are initially issued overseas, and you have to have health insurance when it is issued. As you aren't living/working in Thailand at the point, you have to make other arrangements. Once the visa has been issued, you come to Thailand and start working. The original visa then gets extended on a yearly basis, but there is no further requirement for health insurance. 

25 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

It would seem that you are confused. Smart visas, at least Smart-T, are initially issued overseas, and you have to have health insurance when it is issued. As you aren't living/working in Thailand at the point, you have to make other arrangements. Once the visa has been issued, you come to Thailand and start working. The original visa then gets extended on a yearly basis, but there is no further requirement for health insurance. 

I meant to write "teaching" and not "working". Sorry for the confusion.

Teaching/Education is not included on the list of industries for those with a Smart T visa.

If it were, one would be enrolled in the Thai social security scheme, regardless of any private health insurance obe might hold.

Doesn't the Smart T visa remain valid for 4 years?

On 3/10/2023 at 5:19 AM, chickennoodlesoup said:

I would not want a stressful academic career... Instead, I want to move to Thailand!

And there you have everything that is wrong about farang teachers here.  Stay away mate, they need dedicated, hard working, competent teachers here, not people who just want an easy life. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Chickennoodlesoup has a PhD in Management.

That does not qualify him for a Smart T visa.

I am not claiming to be an expert on Thai visa regulations, but all I can say is that in practice they appear to take a very broad view of what qualifies. Perhaps it is based on the institution rather than the individual qualification, I don't know. But people are teaching at Chula on Smart T visas with PhDs in subjects that would not appear to fall under T criteria. 

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

All government schools should, by law, enroll their teachers in Thai social security scheme.

This covers 100% of medical bills

And you can maintain the coverage after you retire. My premium is B432/month

Make sure that if you are working and paying SS that you are enrolled and get a card. You're already paying for it. 

20 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

No, not everyone working legally has health insurance through the Thai social system.  If you work for many private agencies, insurance is available through private companies.  

2 hours ago, Scott said:

No, not everyone working legally has health insurance through the Thai social system.  If you work for many private agencies, insurance is available through private companies.  

If you work through a private agency, are you then exempt from paying in? 

My statement was poorly worded. What I should have said was people working permanently should have Thai medical. Is this not the case? Even the students have some kind of medical at Mahidol.  

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If you work through a private agency, are you then exempt from paying in? 

My statement was poorly worded. What I should have said was people working permanently should have Thai medical. Is this not the case? Even the students have some kind of medical at Mahidol.  

I worked at a private school and we were, as I understand it, not eligible for the Gov't medical program.  We never had it.  Employees were covered by private insurance which was paid for by the school.   We did have teachers who had worked in gov't schools and were covered and I believe they could remain covered but had to pay the full cost, which at least some did.  

9 hours ago, Scott said:

I worked at a private school and we were, as I understand it, not eligible for the Gov't medical program.  We never had it.  Employees were covered by private insurance which was paid for by the school.   We did have teachers who had worked in gov't schools and were covered and I believe they could remain covered but had to pay the full cost, which at least some did.  

You can get health cover if you work at  private school. It's possible, but the school has to want to do it (there is no law stating it must be done). Some teachers at my school recently got their health cover card (they need to selevt their chosen hospital from a list (some on the list were private hospitals as well). I opted out as I have better government cover via my wife (CSMBS - can use any government hospital). Not it took 20 years for the school to provide this (we have had accident cover for quite some time though). 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:04 PM, Neeranam said:

I gave that up years ago and now get approximately 4x what I got there by teaching Fortune 500s online. 

I'm currently teaching at a public university and looking for ways to supplement my modest (pathetic) salary. I teach English privately and occasionally edit manuscripts for grad students, but it's not really getting the job done. Could you tell me more about what you mean teaching online? Is that English or a content area like consulting? I would greatly appreciate your advice

Just now, Donoff said:

I'm currently teaching at a public university and looking for ways to supplement my modest (pathetic) salary. I teach English privately and occasionally edit manuscripts for grad students, but it's not really getting the job done. Could you tell me more about what you mean teaching online? Is that English or a content area like consulting? I would greatly appreciate your advice

I started with a company called Pearson, teaching Business English. They have since been transformed/merged into new companies but there are still many  opportunities, get googling. 

Here's a starter, Don Kin in Korea -  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I started with a company called Pearson, teaching Business English. They have since been transformed/merged into new companies but there are still many  opportunities, get googling. 

Here's a starter, Don Kin in Korea -  

Thanks for the example. I've been exploring this direction lately. Cheers!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DavisH said:

You can get health cover if you work at  private school. It's possible, but the school has to want to do it (there is no law stating it must be done). Some teachers at my school recently got their health cover card (they need to selevt their chosen hospital from a list (some on the list were private hospitals as well). I opted out as I have better government cover via my wife (CSMBS - can use any government hospital). Not it took 20 years for the school to provide this (we have had accident cover for quite some time though). 

I use my social card at a private hospital (Sikarin, Bangna) and it works okay.

I only started to use it a little since I retired. 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:57 AM, Callmeishmael said:

Universities in Thailand need a certain percentage of their faculty to have PhDs.  If you find a University (probably outside of Bangkok) that needs someone with a doctorate you can pretty much name your price,

Hi, I am currently a PhD researcher at a Uk university and am very   close to completing my thesis  in  anthropology.

I am aware this academic discipline may not be in high demand in Thailand (or elsewhere for that matter!), but do you think it will  be helpful in finding a teaching job in Thailand, and will it help me secure a higher salary?

Any advice would be much appreciated 

ขอบคุณครับ  ????

On 3/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, Menken said:

I believe by law when employing foreigners for white collar and technical positions the employer must offer something.

Not offer something, they and the employee need to pay into the Social security system and are covered in government hospitals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 1:20 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Not offer something, they and the employee need to pay into the Social security system and are covered in government hospitals.

Many public schools use agencies and therefore will have private insurance.

Historically, many publics often drag their feet. Waiting for the teacher to sort taxid, opening bank account, probation period, register SSO... I personally completed a full year at a fairly well-known public school and never received proper insurance. I suspect this is fairly routine and don't believe much if anything would ever come of not having registered a foreign teacher first year.

Foreigners in my opinion are probably better off with most private insurance carriers rather than the SSO. If you are a long haul expat and the SSO is better as you can keep it on your retirement and you won't get cancelled.

*Just opinion

On 4/15/2023 at 11:00 AM, Menken said:

Many public schools use agencies and therefore will have private insurance.

Historically, many publics often drag their feet. Waiting for the teacher to sort taxid, opening bank account, probation period, register SSO... I personally completed a full year at a fairly well-known public school and never received proper insurance. I suspect this is fairly routine and don't believe much if anything would ever come of not having registered a foreign teacher first year.

Foreigners in my opinion are probably better off with most private insurance carriers rather than the SSO. If you are a long haul expat and the SSO is better as you can keep it on your retirement and you won't get cancelled.

*Just opinion

I got both and will keep paying into the SSO when retired.

• Thumbs Up 1

My American friend up north with a bachelors in teaching, but no experience, received around 55K. However he also earned on the side with tutoring and this would easily be another 20K a month. This was not even a super B school or university too.

I think you basically just have to get out here, if possible with no rush to take a job within the first 6 months, to then see what your options are and in which locations those are + what you like the most.