TIN requirements.

Hi,

assuming your living in Thailand as a retiree is there any legal requirement in Thailand to obtain a TIN number here.   I have a tax ID from the country I moved from previously and my existing banks seem ok with that for now so don’t really want the hassle of doing a thai tax return which I understand I will have to complete if I apply for a Thai TIn.   Hoping it’s not necessary.  Thanks. 

3 hours ago, HKexpat said:

I have a tax ID from the country I moved from previously and my existing banks seem ok with that for now so don’t really want the hassle of doing a thai tax return which I understand I will have to complete if I apply for a Thai TIn.

You have the relationship between Thai tax ID and tax filing wrong.  Getting a Thai tax ID doesn't obligate you to file a Thai tax return.  Not having a Thai tax ID will require you to file a Thai tax return if you want the tax withholding on bank interest returned to you.  If you have a Thai tax ID you can ask the bank to forego withholding tax on the interest until it surpasses 20K ฿.  If you are successful at getting the bank to stop withholding you won't need to file a return unless you have other income.  Some staff at the banks/branches understand their bank's rules and procedures well enough to stop withholding and some don't.  Good luck.

Edited by gamb00ler

12 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

You have the relationship between Thai tax ID and tax filing wrong.  Getting a Thai tax ID doesn't obligate you to file a Thai tax return.  Not having a Thai tax ID will require you to file a Thai tax return if you want the tax withholding on bank interest returned to you.  If you have a Thai tax ID you can ask the bank to forego withholding tax on the interest until it surpasses 20K ฿.  If you are successful at getting the bank to stop withholding you won't need to file a return unless you have other income.  Some staff at the banks/branches understand their bank's rules and procedures well enough to stop withholding and some don't.  Good luck.

That’s very useful to know.  Thank you for the additional clarification. 

• 3 weeks later...