I had an (unplanned) child with my Thai partner four years ago. I tried to make it work but I'm miserable. Looking for advice.

Chinaski1990

1 minute ago, DrCosmix said:

Get out now! Try and support financially but get out. You are doing  your daughter  no favours giving  her an example of unhappiness  and strained relations and repressed hate.

They dont need you.  You dont need them.

Where can I go though...or where can they go? Neither I nor my partner can afford to pay for two rental places at $2500 per month alongside childcare. Happy to support financially but it doesn't seem viable that we all end up in the same country. Either they leave or I'll have to. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

This was a planned pregnancy. You just weren't part of the planning process.

Even if that's true (which could definitely be the case) it's only relevance to my current predicament is that it could give me an easier excuse to walk away from the relationship. 

15 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If that is the only problems with your wife, it seems it only rely on you and you being unsatisfied.

You cant fix others, but you can motivate yourself to be a better person for your daughter with or without her mom. 

I hear what you are saying but they are hardly minimal problems. Normal Western relationships (and most likely many Thai-falang relationships) feature in-depth conversations about anything and everything between partners; mine lacks that. Normal relationships do not see one partner either watching dramas or scrolling Facebook while the other reads books. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

How many relationships did you have?

Seems you have to high expectations of a relationship even back where you come from, it is not like movies. I had similar feelings in the beginning, and we overcome our differences by the time and we have both adopted to each other. 

Anyway a bad relationship is no good for anyone, and maybe bedt you leave. 

Just two long-term relationships in my life. This one and then one with a girl from my own European country when I was 18-21. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, homeseeker said:

To properly advise can u tell us:

1. where are you  living?

2. Are you married by law?

3 what nationality is the child?

Living in the EU although would rather not get too specific on which country. We are not married. Our child has two passports...Thailand and my country. 

• Sad 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Do you really believe normal couples do that?

I'm just happy to be with a woman that will have sex whenever I want.

Honestly I do believe it. But even if I'm wrong, there is a lack of the normal banter etc that normal couples who either are from the same place or speak each others' languages fluently probably have. 

• Like 1

OK Stay! You have answered  your own question. Its a financial  problem. Here in Thailand  people dont pay cant pay 2500 dollars  for childcare that's obscene.

She can work?

You stay at look after kid 

Or

Leave her

Or

You all come back to  Thailand 

Then you return  to west and send her 1000dollars a month.

Thats more than enough  to live on

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You could always learn Thai!

I've learned a bit but not enough to have a full conversation in Thai. In the same way that her English is still pretty bad for someone who has lived in my country where English is widely spoken since 2020.