Russians staying in Thailand, Thai PM says 'no more coups' : Tim Newton Today - March 13

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai prime minister says no more army coups... sort of. A lead article in the Bangkok Post says the Russian visitors are coming and many are staying and setting up home, around the country. Electricity appear set to remain stable for residential and business, a new light rail system in Khon Kaen? Who's paying for it? An article to help us understand paying tax in Thailand as an expat (link below).

Article about taxation for expats in Thailand...

https://aseannow.com/topic/1288803-do...

Thanks to our valued sponsor 5 Star Marine in Phuket for premium private charters to the islands off Phuket...
https://5starmarinephuket.com 

Tim Newton Today is a daily, independent look at Thai and south East Asian regional news.

• Haha 2

I will make a most optimistic prediction. If they lose, then will never be another military coup here. Think about it. The moral authority that backed the coups in the past, is long gone. And the army does not have the guts to wage war against their people, Burma style. 

Nah. Won't happen. The Thai army does not have the guts for it, and the Thai soldiers, and the families of the soldiers would never tolerate their sons murdering innocent Thais. And the Thai soldiers are not facing the level of desperation the young Burmese are. The poverty here is not as grinding as it is in Burma. I do not think it could be sustained, if the fools started it. Thailand is a very different culture than Burma, on a dozen significant levels. And the youth now, are very different people than they were during past coups, which were violent.

The army is in a difficult position now. If voted out, they would have to accept it. The generals would have to be content with their fortunes. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Since when is subletting property legal for people on tourist visas?

Renting out motorbikes or cars same same

and what is it to me you say? 

I don’t appreciate neighbours owning 6 or 7 cars or motorbikes when they have parking for one car. It is an absolute hindrance in a small development with little parking. A parade of transient residents taking over the common facilities is also a pain.

Send them back to their frozen wasteland.

• Like 2

Since I came to Thailand for the first time (and the country appeared on my radar) back in 2014, the situation has been stable and the Thais seem too tired to fight.

But I keep hoping for a revolution during my lifetime, even a massacre of unknown proportions on the streets of Bangkok, when young people rise up against the military tyranny and elites and change Thailand for good.

Even though it may costs tens of thousands of lives, it is what Thailand desperately needs to open people's eyes and strive for a better tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

dream on.

Tyranny ?  In such a stable environment?.......you contradict yourself.

The Thais don't give a flying fart for what you, or any other Farang, wants.

Okay, I admit those statements seemingly contradict each other. I should have said "stable" in quotes. With the military pulling all the strings, the Thais are too afraid to stand up and fight. So the military rule by force, as any dissenting voice is simply squashed, by jailing the culprit.

I call that tyranny.

Just now, MarcelV said:

Okay, I admit those statements seemingly contradict each other. I should have said "stable" in quotes. With the military pulling all the strings, the Thais are too afraid to stand up and fight. So the military rule by force, as any dissenting voice is simply squashed, by jailing the culprit.

I call that tyranny.

Ask the Thais if it tyranny. Ask the Thais if they are allowed to vote. Ask the Thais if freedom of speech and freedom travel is allowed. That is not tyranny.

(Another) bloodless coup (13 in the last 100 years) with no bloodshed afterwards. Demonstrations and protests have taken place but please don't imagine that there is a tinderbox of discontent waiting to ignite. Only when a non-Thaksin funded 'opposition' can get itself elected will it be unnecessary for the military to have control.

Would you abolish the monarchy in your own country?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I will make a most optimistic prediction. If they lose, then will never be another military coup here. Think about it. The moral authority that backed the coups in the past, is long gone. And the army does not have the guts to wage war against their people, Burma style. 

Nah. Won't happen. The Thai army does not have the guts for it, and the Thai soldiers, and the families of the soldiers would never tolerate their sons murdering innocent Thais. And the Thai soldiers are not facing the level of desperation the young Burmese are. The poverty here is not as grinding as it is in Burma. I do not think it could be sustained, if the fools started it. Thailand is a very different culture than Burma, on a dozen significant levels. And the youth now, are very different people than they were during past coups, which were violent.

The army is in a difficult position now. If voted out, they would have to accept it. The generals would have to be content with their fortunes. 

The moral authority/influence is still quite active and steadfast.

You might be surprised.

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Moral authority means nothing when corrupt power-hungry Generals think they may be subjected to Civilian rule.  Military is far to engrained in Thai civil society to quietly obey. Somebody always comes around to rape the country's coffers and reward the Military and its hundreds of Generals with billions of Baht and toys for the rank and file boys. Only people can halt the coups going on forward by simply not endorsing any coup. 

Edited by Jerno
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Jerno said:

Moral authority means nothing when corrupt power-hungry Generals think they may be subjected to Civilian rule.  Military is far to engrained in Thai civil society to quietly obey. Somebody always comes around to rape the country's coffers and reward the Military and its hundreds of Generals with billions of Baht and toys for the rank and file boys. Only people can halt the coups going on forward by simply not endorsing any coup. 

And at 2,200 generals for a half million armed forces, Thailand likely has the highest ratio of generals to soldiers on earth. Why? Well, we know if has absolutely nothing to do with self defense. Does the army here serve any function, at all? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Ask the Thais if they are allowed to vote. Ask the Thais if freedom of speech and freedom travel is allowed.

In 2006, I had a tank 'parked' outside my condo in Bangkok (next to Siam Uni) during the curfew. Many students couldn't get to uni due to the curfew time restrictions (no online classes in 2006). Numerous people were shot during the protests. People are in jail for allegedly speaking about a certain families (Thaksin and ,,,,,,,,,). Ask some punters in Issan if they believe their votes really count = certain party wins election leads to coup.

< freedom travel is allowed." = I agree

Yes, things have changed = the coup leader installed himself as prime minister and changed the constitution.

Great.... not

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Every single Thai I speak with says everything has changed. It is gone. 

Yeah. I'm sure that you speak to quite a number of Thais regarding these things. ????????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

When Thais accept 500 Baht (or whatever your local figure is) to vote for particular candidates it quantifies the value of their vote.

It was a 1,000 to 1,500 for the dems on Phuket, wealthier down there don't you know ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2023 at 1:48 PM, spidermike007 said:

did I miss something, aren't 50% of parliament seats appointed by the military ? or was the constitution or electoral law changed ? how can they be voted out ?

7 hours ago, tgw said:

did I miss something, aren't 50% of parliament seats appointed by the military ? or was the constitution or electoral law changed ? how can they be voted out ?

They can not be voted out, only overthrown. Democratic forces alone will never be able to get rid of the junta-appointed senators.

7 hours ago, tgw said:

It's a third 250 out of 750 so effectively the military can never be voted out.

12 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Yeah. I'm sure that you speak to quite a number of Thais regarding these things. ????????

My wife's family is far and wide, and she has a huge circle of Thai friends. They are all unanimous, in their condemnation of Prayuth, and this sorry administration. And some of them work in government.