UK based pension requires National Insurance Number?

Just got a notification I am due to receive a pension fund lump sum payout from a time I worked internationally with a Jersey based company, but I must complete a form for a UK office now that insists on providing a UK National Insurance Number. This pension has been grandfathered across several pension companies from the original one paid into during the 80's, when it was compulsory, that closed.

I have a UK passport, but never worked in the UK, seldom go there, so don't have any documents with a National Insurance Number on it? How easy is it to find out what it is? I understand everyone got one at age 16 but I never have needed to use one until now it seems? So is it easy to obtain my old number - assuming I had one?

9 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I have a UK passport, but never worked in the UK, seldom go there, so don't have any documents with a National Insurance Number on it? How easy is it to find out what it is? I understand everyone got one at age 16 but I never have needed to use one until now it seems? So is it easy to obtain my old number - assuming I had one?

I suspect the pension people want your NI number for tax purposes.

I am fairly sure you would have needed the number when you first applied for your UK passport. Guidance on an old number can be found here.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Edited by sandyf
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Thanks, I guess I will try calling them on the hotline when I get time. I did a UK summer vacation job as a student in 1980, maybe they will have an NI number and record of that! ? I have never been back to UK since.

If you worked in the UK and paid taxes, you will have an NI number. You can be sure of that.

• Like 1