Songkran Tax.

Harveyboy

Hey...has anyone else encountered the songkran tax. I know that hotels put up prices at certain times of year it it's normally stated at the time of booking 

yesterday I booked hotel in jomtien in April price was given. But when the invoice was sent 200 baht had been added extra. As songkran tax without asking...I've been to Pattaya many times over this period ...never had this before...just asking if anyone else has..H

Never had anything like that added to our Hotel Bills (will check tmrw as we are then checking in a hotel in Pattaya for a length stay (but leave WAY before Songkran ???? )

It's HIGH season for them, so yes they increase the price.

Just simple (Thai) economics, demand is high so increase your price, and after Songkran lower the price.

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg

A long time ago there used to also be a Christmas/New Year tax and a compulsory fee to eat/attend a Christmas/New Year party/meal, whether you wish to participate or not,  don't know if it is still the case.

Business have unlimited options to raise extra fees and the internet gives incentive to seek out ideas from all over and implement them.

I think there is no more low season like it used to be, it may be high season all year round now.

Edited by userabcd
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:55 AM, Henryford said:

Hotels put their prices up in busy periods. If not happy just cancel and book somewhere else. 200 baht is the least of your problems during Songkran.

Given that you seem happy to pay any surcharges/taxes hotels think they can hit you with, I’d like to invite you stay at my establishment. Rooms are 100 baht +++++++

• Haha 1

We checked in for an extended stay in a hotel in Pattaya (check out before SongKran starts) and no mention of this Songkran Tax.

The only added to the bill was a 1000 THB “guarantee”, but we get that back on checkout 

On 3/14/2023 at 9:55 AM, Henryford said:

Hotels put their prices up in busy periods. If not happy just cancel and book somewhere else. 200 baht is the least of your problems during Songkran.

Where did I say it was a problem .. asked if anyone had heard of it ..