Non-O based on Retirement (Conversion to)

Hello,

I will be arriving in Thailand late April 2023 from the UK.

Ultimately I want to obtain Non-O based on retirement from within Thailand (I do not want OA visa)

I already have a Thai bank account which will have 800k THB when I arrive

Question 1

Is it better to arrive on a Tourist visa (60 day) which I can get from the UK for £30 or just arrive visa exempt? I understand the only difference is I get slightly longer to apply (30 extra days if I have a tourist visa) and I would submit TM86 (if on tourist visa) or TM87 (if visa exempt) - both forms look almost identical so the application process seems to be the same - my plan is to apply the first week I arrive

Question 2

On the TM86 and TM87 it says "I wish to apply for non-immigrant visa - reason(s) for application" - is it as simple as just writing "for retirement"?

Question 3

The document explaining the requirements says:

5.1 Present passbook and deposit certificate from banks in Thailand (in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner))

5.2 Copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 800,000 (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name)

5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand **(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)

5.1 I have a passbook - what is meant by "deposit certificate" - the 800k THB will be by Wise transfer

5.3 Does this mean I need to ask the bank on the day I make the visa application to write a letter stating the 800k THB came from abroad

Question 4

8 Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months.

I will be living with my Thai wife's parents - I am not in a yellow book as yet - What would I need to show for this? Depending on what is required and how long it is likely to take to get, would this affect my choose of tourist visa or visa exempt in question 1 above?

Many thanks in advance

Tim

Hey Tim ...your plan is very simple..

More so as you already have the Thai bank account in your name. 

Without addressing your questions in order.

Visa exempt is fine as for the non O retirement application all you require is the 800k in your account on day of application. 

You do need to show those funds came from abroad .

Using WISE that sometimes is shown as a FTT code.

If not you can talk with your bank re "credit advice".

Re living with wife's parents you can arrange a TM30 from them and that would be sufficient. 

This is possible within 30 day visa exempt entry.

Keep in mind that you can obtain 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry.

Also 60 day extension to visit wife.

Bit surprised that you are opting for non O retirement over marriage.

In the future you can switch to extention based on marriage however your first extension some offices would insist on extension based on retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Hey Tim ...your plan is very simple..

More so as you already have the Thai bank account in your name. 

Without addressing your questions in order.

Visa exempt is fine as for the non O retirement application all you require is the 800k in your account on day of application. 

You do need to show those funds came from abroad .

Using WISE that sometimes is shown as a FTT code.

If not you can talk with your bank re "credit advice".

Re living with wife's parents you can arrange a TM30 from them and that would be sufficient. 

This is possible within 30 day visa exempt entry.

Keep in mind that you can obtain 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry.

Also 60 day extension to visit wife.

Bit surprised that you are opting for non O retirement over marriage.

In the future you can switch to extention based on marriage however your first extension some offices would insist on extension based on retirement. 

Hello Dr Jack

Many thanks for this information.

I have done transfers with Wise and 50% of the time it doesn't show as FTT (even though I select the specific Long Stay option) - If I do the Wise transfer and it doesn't show does that mean I have to try another transfer of 800K? Or what is the credit advice option - is this something I do in the UK with my UK bank? I did try this before but they use intermediary banks for Swift transfer so this showed as a local transfer.

Kind regards

Tim

7 minutes ago, TimF said:

Hello Dr Jack

Many thanks for this information.

I have done transfers with Wise and 50% of the time it doesn't show as FTT (even though I select the specific Long Stay option) - If I do the Wise transfer and it doesn't show does that mean I have to try another transfer of 800K? Or what is the credit advice option - is this something I do in the UK with my UK bank? I did try this before but they use intermediary banks for Swift transfer so this showed as a local transfer.

Kind regards

Tim

TBH.....I have never had to obtain credit advice to show origin of funds however read reports that's it's not an issue.

You do it here in Thailand.

Your first port of call would be your Thai bank account here in Thailand. 

They may send you off to the intermediary bank.

Either way it's not a big deal.

Happens often.

Edit: had another read.

If your 800k has been in your Thai bank account for some time immigration may not require proof of origin from abroad.

In any event it's not big issue. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

TBH.....I have never had to obtain credit advice to show origin of funds however read reports that's it's not an issue.

You do it here in Thailand.

Your first port of call would be your Thai bank account here in Thailand. 

They may send you off to the intermediary bank.

Either way it's not a big deal.

Happens often.

Edit: had another read.

If your 800k has been in your Thai bank account for some time immigration may not require proof of origin from abroad.

In any event it's not big issue. 

OK thank you. I don't have the money in there yet.

So I need the bank to provide a letter for immigration on the day I apply for the visa saying the funds came from abroad?

5 hours ago, TimF said:

So I need the bank to provide a letter for immigration on the day I apply for the visa saying the funds came from abroad?

No. 

The bank letter that you are referring to is just to confirm that you are the owner of the account and also states the balance in the account. 

Most banks charge 100baht.

Takes minutes on the spot at the bank.

To show funds came from abroad to apply for non O retirement immigration will want to see FTT code in bank book.

Failing that you can obtain "credit advice " from bank. 

9 hours ago, TimF said:

I will be living with my Thai wife's parents -

Would getting a Non-IMM O Marriage visa from London before you travel not be an option? 

You can always extend this on the basis of "Retirement" in the future if you have concerns around additional hassles in extending it based on Marriage.

Have never tried the eVisa process but a quick look on the website (https://thaievisa.go.th/) suggests that a British Citizen can apply for one online to visit their Thai Spouse... 

Required Documents

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.

2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.

3. Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party).

4. Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand.... For the spouse of a Thai national...

• Marriage certificate
  • A copy of a ID card of a Thai spouse

https://thaievisa.go.th/non-immigrant-o

Edited by Mike Teavee

I have always believed that the controversial practice of visa conversion without exiting Thailand is illegal.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can anyone provide a reference to an official RTP document regulating this kind of visa conversion within Thailand without the need of exiting the Kingdom?

24 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

I have always believed that the controversial practice of visa conversion without exiting Thailand is illegal.

Can anyone provide a reference to an official RTP document regulating this kind of visa conversion within Thailand without the need of exiting the Kingdom?

Not illegal and very common to change visa status from tourist visa to non imm O visa, or apply for a non imm O visa from a visa exempt entry.

Google TM 86 and TM 87 for the required documents.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Indeed the process from visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry to non O retirement or marriage and subsequent 12 month extension is 100% legit and no need for an agent etc. As pointed out by @Andrew Dwyer above. 

Note: non O can also be obtained in nearby consulates (eg Savannakhet) and also in your own country. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

See Point 6 Documents to be submitted for Change Visa – FOR PROVIDING SUPPORT TO OR BEING A DEPENDANT OF A THAI CITIZEN (SPOUSE VISA) (NON-O)

& Point 9 Documents to be submitted for Change Visa – FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES – 50 YEARS OLD (NON-O)

Edited by Mike Teavee