Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Bangkok > Nakhon Phanom > Thakhek > Savannakhet for Visa Run

chakeeoyen

Flights to Savannakhet are an absurd ~20k THB roundtrip around the time my visa expires. I don't mind taking the night bus, but flying to Nakhon Phanom is only an hour or so, and from Thakhek to Savannakhet it should only take 2 hours driving.

My issue: I can't find much info on transportation between the two cities though. Anyone have details on taxis, buses, etc.? Is this idea more hassle than it's worth?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, chakeeoyen said:

more hassle than it's worth?

Yes. 

Just use the Nong Khai crossing.  

Lots of flights to Udon ThThai and vans to the border. 

Visit Nakhon phanom when you have a weekend to explore and not the hassle of a visa. 

Nice City!

4 hours ago, chakeeoyen said:

I couldn’t find any info on this either. Do they have busses or vans at the airport that go to Mukdahan?

You can fly in to Ubon Ratchathani, take an airport bus or taxi to the main bus station (100 baht), then take a bus or van from Ubon to Mukdahan. The airport bus runs daily, but not in the evening. The buses and vans each run from Ubon to Mukdahan at least 4 times a day. You can take the van service from Ubon bus station to Mukdahan for 150 baht. It takes about 2 hours. I live 45km south of Mukdahan and have used that van service many times to go to the Ubon airport. For a 100 baht tip, the driver may take you to the bridge after all the Mukdahan passengers disembark at the Mukdahan bus station. I don't suggest taking a bunch of luggage for your trip. A carry-on bag is about all you'll have room for in the van.

• Like 2