Pool with Chlorine at ~10ppm

Na Fan

No, not a typo.

Case in point:

335944284_119149764371401_7023275652300150027_n.thumb.jpg.362f3cafe4c6b6e2cf2c8fef0de1c2a9.jpg

And those, they used to be brown, chocolate brown:

335933683_217701724125326_3906177637979653633_n.thumb.jpg.10967807a139c001582ddfd9d25d6005.jpg

Anyway, the "pool guy" claims this is normal, and is because the pool is filled from ground water and not municipality water.

What gives?

Is that your own pool?

That acidity (I've seen a lot worse) will prematurely age your pool fittings and clothes. I've seen it totally take off the glaze of pool tiles, causing 100,000+ baht in damage. The chlorine level will also eat clothing and sting eyes. Shower well before and after. The before part is just as important.

The water is generally quite acidic here, whether from the ground or the municipality. That doesn't mean it doesn't need to be brought up to the correct level. Aeration would be my first method.

17 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Is that your own pool?

This is the community pool at our village. Lots of kids swim in it all the time, incl mine.

It smells like chlorine, the smell sticks around for 2 days (yes even through showers) and if water gets into your mouth, it's sour.

Is this not dangerous?

8 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

This is the community pool at our village. Lots of kids swim in it all the time, incl mine.

It smells like chlorine, the smell sticks around for 2 days (yes even through showers) and if water gets into your mouth, it's sour.

Is this not dangerous?

You've listed 10ppm for free chlorine. If that is the real level then yes that is on the unsafe side of high and I definitely wouldn't let my kids in that pool. Even 5ppm can be irritating.

I'd have the water tested with something more accurate than the method you're using so you have specific figures to work with.

• Love It 1

Seen this many times here.

The smell is chloramine which is a gas that is formed when chlorine reactes with amonia. 

They obviously are using 90% Tri-Chlor which comes mostly in granular or powder form. It has a very low pH value as well.

Acidic water is what causes the sting.

The chlorine levels will come down naturally. The pool guy would just be doing the same robotic actions every time he comes to service the pool.

Unless he changes his actions it will keep on keeping on!

• 11 months later...