Have the Oscars become a fiasco?

As a cinephile, watching the oscars recently, I was struck by the mediocrity of the host, Jimmy Kimmel, and the bizarre selection of oscar winners. I could not even get through Everything, everywhere all at once. I found it convoluted, dizzying and incoherent. And I felt Jamie Lee Curtis put in a very annoying performance, nor worthy of an oscar. Also, the Banshees and Elvis were nominated for how many oscars, and won zero? And the in memoriam section left out some very good actors, including Paul Sorvino, Anne Heche, Tom Sizemore, Fred Ward, and included some very obscure ones. Who are the producers, and why are they involved?

Anyone else agree?

80.jpeg

Just now, banglay said:

It's just a Woke fest  to polish the ego's of overpaid diva's  who like to pontification to the masses  . and tell us  mere mortals  to save the planet whilst they are jetting around the world in there private jets .

Well said. Paul Sorvino was apparently left out of the in-memoriam section due to his political affiliation. Unfortunate they did that. Every year the Oscars is a mess. Back when I was growing up, they just read the names and gave out the awards. These days it's too political, woke and biased along with a sad MC. The poor sportsmanship of Angela Bassett was ridiculous. She was in a DC movie (basically a cartoon movie). No one was ever even nominated from such a movie. Think Batman, the Avengers, Superman, Ironman etc. I saw a clip of her in the film and she had a bit of an Irish accent instead of African. NOT a good performance in my opinion and shouldn't have even been nominated but........ it's a woke world out there these days.

Edited by HuskerDo2

I thought Jimmy Kimmel's opening was OK. It's getting that balance of being respectful to the achievements of film makers and their craft, which is what the night is for, but having some fun and taking a dig where appropriate. Couldn't watch beyond that as too long and drawn out which I guess makes your point as to the show as a whole.

Only movie I've seen of the main nominees was Banshees of Inisheran, which was entertaining and I have a lot of time for the acting, though the point of the actions by the main character didn't totally make sense or resonate with me and seemed a bit art house for art house sake. Watching All Quiet on the Western front now and it is grim. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Also, the Banshees and Elvis were nominated for how many oscars, and won zero?

The Banshees is the kind of movies that at the Cannes festival. Even though they make outlandish decisions at times, remember "Uncle Boonmee"...

Why care at all?

If any movie received several Oscars then I might decided to have a look sometime - in case I didn't know it already.

But watching who wins and who talks too much? What's the point?

If anything exiting happens, then it will be in the news latest a day later.

It's just a Woke fest  to polish the ego's of overpaid diva's  who like to pontification to the masses  . and tell us  mere mortals  to save the planet whilst they are jetting around the world in there private jets .                                                                                                                                                                     Banglay- Couldn't have been  stated any better. YOU hit the nail on the head.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Well said. Paul Sorvino was apparently left out of the in-memoriam section due to his political affiliation. Unfortunate they did that. Every year the Oscars is a mess. Back when I was growing up, they just read the names and gave out the awards. These days it's too political, woke and biased along with a sad MC. The poor sportsmanship of Angela Bassett was ridiculous. She was in a DC movie (basically a cartoon movie). No one was ever even nominated from such a movie. Think Batman, the Avengers, Superman, Ironman etc. I saw a clip of her in the film and she had a bit of an Irish accent instead of African. NOT a good performance in my opinion and shouldn't have even been nominated but........ it's a woke world out there these days.

Thank you. Other than the race angle, that movie was an abomination, and one of very minor importance. I think she grossly overestimated what the movie was, and got caught up in the recognition given to the cartoon, which was likely about woke politics to begin with. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Paul Sorvino was apparently left out of the in-memoriam section due to his political affiliation. Unfortunate they did that.

There is absolutely no evidence to back up that statement. However that has never stopped FOX or the NYP from spewing it. Tom Sizemore & Anne Heche were also left out of Oscars Memoriam segment. No claims of "political afiliation" were mentioned. 

I haven't watched the Oscars for donkeys years. Last one I watched, had to be 78, Star Wars, Annie Hall, Close Encounters.