Receiving an SMS or enabling roaming on AIS while outside Thailand

Everyman

You should not need to activate roaming.   I have the same set up as yourself (AIS and Bangkok Bank mobile apps).  Turn on your phone with the AIS sim inserted.  Connect to wifi.  Your phone should by default connect with Vodaphone UK.  Make sure data roaming is off or you may get charged for some data being consumed by apps working in the background.  You can log onto AIS app easily, they send you the stupid OTP to your phone by SMS.  There's no charge for receiving the OTP.  But sending one SMS to Thailand costs 13 Baht.

1 hour ago, DodgerRodger said:

You should not need to activate roaming.   I have the same set up as yourself (AIS and Bangkok Bank mobile apps).  Turn on your phone with the AIS sim inserted.  Connect to wifi.  Your phone should by default connect with Vodaphone UK.  Make sure data roaming is off or you may get charged for some data being consumed by apps working in the background.  You can log onto AIS app easily, they send you the stupid OTP to your phone by SMS.  There's no charge for receiving the OTP.  But sending one SMS to Thailand costs 13 Baht.

International roaming is not the same as data roaming.  Unless International Roaming (calls and sms) is enabled you will not receive OTP's. and will not connect to Vodafone.  In the past I did have AIS and IR was enabled by default, also for my wife's phone but that may not be the case these days (I now have True and had to request IR).  Correct not to allow data roaming, that gets expensive unless a package is in place, but also it requires IR to be enabled.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

International roaming is not the same as data roaming. 

Yes, you are correct.  My AIS account was obviously set up with International Roaming activated.  I just didn't know it ????

If you need to activate this function click on "More" at bottom right of AIS home page, then you'll see "International Service". Click that for access to the option.  However, this may be a moot point if you can't receive the OTP to log in in the first place ????  I hope the OP is like me and has this option already activated.

Thank you. I emailed that email address and they activated roaming.

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

You might try sending a message to AIS on Twitter.  From a quick look it appears they do at least respond to customer service enquiries.  Alternatively call +662-271-9000, that should be the same as the 1175 call centre.  Or email at [email protected].

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1