Who killed the British Motor Industry ?

I think British Motor Corporation, aka, British Leyland destroyed the UK car industry, they bought up all the brands and then mismanaged the whole industry. Of course the union folk of that era were not a help, but Ford and GM carried on getting bye...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Margaret Thatcher killed all Brit industry.

It was the easiest way to destroy the Unions and the backbone of the Labour Party.

I with Clarkson, many if not all involved in the UK car industry were to blame. 

Same happened to the motorcycle industry.

Self destructed long time ago, via no QC, and put out some real krap, well, what ever was exported to USA.  Not a single one would be considered a quality, dependable vehicle. 

Can't speak for what was sold in UK.  But MG, Triumph, Jaguar, Mini, all mechanical failures in the USA.    Made the Detroit krap look good ???? 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Self destructed long time ago, via no QC, and put out some real krap, well, what ever was exported to USA.  Not a single one would be considered a quality, dependable vehicle. 

Can't speak for what was sold in UK.  But MG, Triumph, Jaguar, Mini, all mechanical failures in the USA.    Made the Detroit krap look good ???? 

The XJ6 and XJ12 were sorted in the hands of Ford I remember they sorted the electrical faults out. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Says the bloke whose motor industry was decimated by the Japanese.....????

Oh, and his brother could not service an MGB............????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Says the bloke whose motor industry was decimated by the Japanese.....????

Oh, and his brother could not service an MGB............????

As was the UK's, Euro manufacturers, when Japanese competition hit.   USA manufacturers threw in the towel and just had them make cars for them, and their best sellers at that.  China filling what Japan doesn't make now on the worldwide market, for basically all brands.

Good products sell.   Bad product sell, only till people wise up, then go elsewhere.

Actually my brother could and did service his MGBs & Triumphs, but just got tired of the constant break downs, stranded & fixing.

Whole family is mechanically inclined, and not much I haven't done to an auto myself; swapped engines, trans, rears & even painted one car.  Poverty does that, as silly price mechanics who don't know what they're doing aren't worth paying.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

As was the UK's, Euro manufacturers, when Japanese competition hit.   USA manufacturers threw in the towel and just had them make cars for them, and their best sellers at that.  China filling what Japan doesn't make now on the worldwide market, for basically all brands.

Good products sell.   Bad product sell, only till people wise up, then go elsewhere.

Actually my brother could and did service his MGBs & Triumphs, but just got tired of the constant break downs, stranded & fixing.

Whole family is mechanically inclined, and not much I haven't done to an auto myself; swapped engines, trans, rears & even painted one car.  Poverty does that, as silly price mechanics who don't know what they're doing aren't worth paying.

Your MGB's had constant breakdowns, perhaps not serviced properly, there was not much to go wrong back then...Hmmmmmmmmm..:cowboy:

• Thumbs Up 1

Complacency of the car companies - "we're the best.  We'll keep making the same models, with the same poor standards".

Ineptitude of a number of governments - yes, Thatcher was a big part, but governments before and after her didn't help.

Greed of the unions - or rather, no desire to work with the factory owners to get through the grim period.

Failure to learn from the British motorcycle industry, which underwent consolidation, followed by bust.  So, what did the car industry do?  Consolidation, followed by bust.  Who could have seen that coming?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's similar to what happened in Australia with Holden cars.  Disposable income gets tighter every year and jobs become redundant so the new car gets put on the backburner.

Also,  competition such as Korea Kia brands and a few others put pressure on Holden sales so eventually the sales numbers are so small that they close shop.    

I have owned the following British cars,  an Austin A40, a Trump Herald, a Mini and an Austin 1800.

I have worked for Rover.

I previously wrongly thought that these represented the best available.

The Japanese Car Industry and mainly Toyota, the company that made my last four cars, killed the British Motor Industry.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I have owned the following British cars,  an Austin A40, a Trump Herald, a Mini and an Austin 1800.

I have worked for Rover.

I previously wrongly thought that these represented the best available.

The Japanese Car Industry and mainly Toyota, the company that made my last four cars, killed the British Motor Industry.

But the early Japanese cars were not that appealing either, I worked on those too, back then.........:cowboy:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Remember the Stag a car in the workshop more than road. 

Remember the Triumph 2000 when it was fuel injected I think and flattening batteries to get it started.

Remember the Allegro got the name Aggro.

My Marina van becoming a Fred Flintstone motor when the floors collapsed in a heap of rust. 

My Dads mini use to fill up with water on the floor when driving along in the rain.

To get away from UK but made in England I can thank Ford I guess for getting me to fix cars front to back completely with mechanical failures and bodywork too. ????

It was the Triumph 2.5 that had fuel injection.  Specifically Lucas mechanical fuel injection.  My father had one and I travelled much of Europe in it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

But the early Japanese cars were not that appealing either, I worked on those too, back then.........:cowboy:

I also had two 70's Datsun 260c sedans which were unreliable but not as bad as my British cars.

2 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

It was the Triumph 2.5 that had fuel injection.  Specifically Lucas mechanical fuel injection.  My father had one and I travelled much of Europe in it.

Triumph PI 2.5 straight 6....Nice car at the time...????

• Thumbs Up 1