Bank Account Before Retirement Visa

In spite of all the great info on here, I'm still confused how the O visa works, so I'm going to respectfully request to be hand-held through the options.
Here's where I'm at.
I'm leaving Phuket at the end of April and I'll be away on a project until the end of June. I will have turned 50 years old by then.
I don't have a bank account - but I believe that I can get one with a Certificate of Residence on the long-term rental villa that I have. Am I correct in saying that?

Now...
I don't have a pension, but can deposit 60,000 Baht deposits each month into an account. That's easy.
My question is: do I have to start lodging cash into the bank account now, so that there is a history of payments before I apply for the retirement visa?

And...
Can I apply within Thailand on a tourist visa through say an agent in Phuket?
If so, are there any Phuket retirees who can recommend an agent who can perhaps make the bank hoop jumping go away?
(I don't really want to tie up 800K for years. At least, that is my understanding of it.)

Best regards

Freddie.

You can obtain certificate of residence in Phuket from what you outline. 

Then possibly a bank account.

That would not work in Bangkok.

You could consider using agent for the bank account. Not expensive.

Yes you can obtain a non O from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Without income letter from your embassy you would need to show 12 months of 65k deposits.

If you don't want to have the 800k in bank you need an agent.

They can do the bank account, non O and extension.

Edited by DrJack54

11 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

You "may" be able to open a bank account now with your tourist visa or waiver

You won't find recent report of that without residence certificate.

Only exception if maybe if you purchased the rubbish insurance they push.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would still advise the OP to give it a shot or three, regardless of reports.  If successful, he's avoided future headache.  What's the worstest that could happen?  He wastes half an hour and enjoys the bank's free AC.  He might get lucky, and we'd have a new report.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain certificate of residence in Phuket from what you outline. 

Then possibly a bank account.

That would not work in Bangkok.

You could consider using agent for the bank account. Not expensive.

Yes you can obtain a non O from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Without income letter from your embassy you would need to show 12 months of 65k deposits.

If you don't want to have the 800k in bank you need an agent.

They can do the bank account, non O and extension.

Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Try to get the C of R and the bank account going as soon as possible and start the monthly transfers. 

You don't have to leave the 800K in for years. You could use it for your first extension, by the next one you should be caught up with the monthly deposits. 

Where are you going? I think (but I am not sure) if you go to a Thai Embassy in your home county, you could get a one-year retirement visa with your home country bank account, by the end of that year you should have a year of transfers. 

I'm headed to the Middle East for this project but I guess I could scoot home if that worked.

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

I would still advise the OP to give it a shot or three, regardless of reports.  If successful, he's avoided future headache.  What's the worstest that could happen?  He wastes half an hour and enjoys the bank's free AC.  He might get lucky, and we'd have a new report.

I'll get a C of R and then check the banks in Central.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think (but I am not sure) if you go to a Thai Embassy in your home county, you could get a one-year retirement visa with your home country bank account, by the end of that year you should have a year of transfers. 

The only one year visa he could obtain in home country is non O multiple entry (if his country provides that) or a non O-A.

The one year ME would require exits every 90 days (without extensions) 

The non O-A would be foolish as ongoing extensions would require insurance.

He could obtain a non O retirement.

However that provides 3 month entry stamp on entry and then he would need an extension.

Still would need bank account and 800k in the account for the duration of extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

What's the worstest that could happen?  He wastes half an hour and enjoys the bank's free AC.  He might get lucky, and we'd have a new report

He won't get lucky with bank account in current times on a visa exempt entry. 

But true it  only just wasting time so no big deal. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not compleyely correct.  Many (including me) have gotten a bank account easily from Krungsri Bank while on Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa. No resident certificate or purchase of insurance needed. Just explain reasoning for the account is for retirement requirements. No guarantee but many have been successful in the last year 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When. 

Where.

I opened one in November last year on a visa exempt entry. I also know at least 5 others that did the same successfully in Phuket, NST, Pattaya, and Bangkok. The only extra doc they asked me about was an International Drivers Permit. They even called the main office on mine and ask and them just to make sure it was OK and they said absolutely no problem. They showed the insurance sheet but never asked for it to be purchased, just said it was available now or in the future if I wanted insurance. 

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

I opened one in November last year on a visa exempt entry. I also know at least 5 others that did the same successfully in Phuket, NST, Pattaya, and Bangkok. The only extra doc they asked me about was an International Drivers Permit. They even called the main office on mine and ask and them just to make sure it was OK and they said absolutely no problem. They showed the insurance sheet but never asked for it to be purchased, just said it was available now or in the future if I wanted insurance. 

I bet you had to dress smartly, be respectful, and smile though, admit it!!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Absolute rubbish including Pattaya and Bangkok (especially)....

Love the "at least 5 others" for dramatic effect. 

Please post threads of recent reports. 

When was the last time you tried it? Oh, that's right, never. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Are you talking just Bangkok or all of Thailand as usual?

Still better you post  recent reports of ease of opening a bank account Bangkok or elsewhere without certificate of residence or embassy letter.

Not stating that's it's impossible (especially with insurance option) 

Just a factual report would be nice. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I bet you had to dress smartly, be respectful, and smile though, admit it!!!!

I just dressed normally not like a backpacker. I always try to speak respectfully in situations like this as would be expected anywhere in the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

When was the last time you tried it? Oh, that's right, never. 

Oh please I assist others personally re bank accounts.

Currently and in the past.

Since money laundering laws came into play, opening bank account is no longer simple. 

Yes perhaps a long term rental agreement might be accepted in some places in lieu of residence certificate.

Phuket might be one. 

Certainly won't cut it in many other immigration offices. 

Read recent threads and learn.

Here is one. Avoided Bangkok

https://aseannow.com/topic/1267964-certificate-of-residency-for-new-bank-account-jomtien-immigration/

BTW from your previous post in same thread you stated...

"Try to get the C of R and the bank account going as soon as possible and start the monthly transfers."

So now your implying the certificate of residence is not required.

The rest of that same post re "one year retirement visa" I already pointed out the errors. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

I just dressed normally not like a backpacker. I always try to speak respectfully in situations like this as would be expected anywhere in the world.

What docs did the bank require you to provide in order to open bank account on visa exempt entry? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What docs did the bank require you to provide in order to open bank account on visa exempt entry? 

I gave Passport with stamp, International Drivers Permit, US drivers license and TM30. I also offered confirmation letters of accounts from 2 US banks as outlined on their site but they said they didn't need them.