Bank Account Before Retirement Visa

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Kasikorn to mention just one bank has a phone line directed to excellent English speaking person.

When attending a k bank branch the clerk will dial that on company phone and hand it to you.

Having said that.....I don't think I have ever been into a bank where they didn't have someone that could assist using English.

Where did you try and open the account. 

It was the branch in the Big C shopping centre in Nakhon Sawan. The manager, I think he was handed me a phone and the person was speaking Thai not English, he came back with the phone a second time, and again it was someone speaking in Thai. what chance have I got?

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:
35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Kasikorn to mention just one bank has a phone line directed to excellent English speaking person.

When attending a k bank branch the clerk will dial that on company phone and hand it to you.

Having said that.....I don't think I have ever been into a bank where they didn't have someone that could assist using English.

Where did you try and open the account. 

Expand  

It was the branch in the Big C shopping centre in Nakhon Sawan. The manager, I think he was handed me a phone and the person was speaking Thai not English, he came back with the phone a second time, and again it was someone speaking in Thai. what chance have I got?

It's pretty obvious that you need to go the exact same branch of Kasikorn as @DrJack54 did and hope that the exact same staff that handily solved his issues in-house and over the phone are still working on the day you go.

Plenty bank branches out there with staff that either can't speak anything but Thai or just don't feel comfortable (or bothered?) enough to suggest that they can do otherwise.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's pretty obvious that you need to go the exact same branch of Kasikorn as @DrJack54 did and hope that the exact same staff that handily solved his issues in-house and over the phone are still working on the day you go.

Plenty bank branches out there with staff that either can't speak anything but Thai or just don't feel comfortable (or bothered?) enough to suggest that they can do otherwise.

Kasikorn?? Did I not say TMB or it's new name I think TTB?

11 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Kasikorn?? Did I not say TMB or it's new name I think TTB?

You were asking for advice; I think he was suggesting you try another bank because (now apparently) they are not all the same. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

You were asking for advice; I think he was suggesting you try another bank because (now apparently) they are not all the same. 

You are right they are not all the same, I already have an account with the Bangkok Bank. I want to try and get a local TMB account as they do not charge you for drawing money in another province.

7 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

You are right they are not all the same, I already have an account with the Bangkok Bank. I want to try and get a local TMB account as they do not charge you for drawing money in another province.

Sorry, do you frequently travel to different provinces to draw out money? 

I know that when I draw money out of my Pratchinburi Kasikorn account in Bangkok there is no fee. 

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Either do Bangkok Bank if you use the Careless Cash option via your smartphone. Working data connection required of course so ignore everything I just said if you're a neo-Luddite.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Sorry, do you frequently travel to different provinces to draw out money? 

I know that when I draw money out of my Pratchinburi Kasikorn account in Bangkok there is no fee. 

Your lucky, when I had a Kasikorn account I always had to pay a fee when drawing out money in another province.

9 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Your lucky, when I had a Kasikorn account I always had to pay a fee when drawing out money in another province.

Yeah, me too with the same account, but back when it was Thai Farmer Bank.

Times change. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I use the 400K because it seems easy, and it is nice to have money here in the event of an emergency. I actually keep about a million in the account, and it is separate from my other accounts so the only transactions are interest & taxes and when I round it down at immigration for the update. 

Guys opening accounts should open at least two. 

Back in 2001, my wife insisted I open 4 accounts , 3 in HH and 1 in BKK and it paid off, as I didn’t have to queue on a Monday to deposit business takings, just drove to the next bank with shortest queue. ????

5 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Yesterday I tried to open an account with the TMB now TTB bank. None of the staff could speak English, I was asked for my phone no and then told someone will be in touch with me.

This being Thailand I do not expect this to happen so what is the next stage?

Try another bank.

Take a translator along.

• Thumbs Up 1

A friend opened a BKKBK bank account here in Samui in January, in preparation of converting a visa exempt to Non Imm O, while he was staying in a hotel.

He had a residence certificate, a letter from the hotel that he was staying there for several months and that he needed the bank account for depositing the 800,000THB..

Best to try branches that deal with a lot of foreigners. Those branches have more experience dealing with the problems we encounter here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, phetphet said:

He had a residence certificate,

So he obtained a certificate of residence from immigration with a visa exempt entry.

Do you know what immigration required from him? 

Not clear but appears he may of had a lease from his hotel or was TM30 sufficient. 

29 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What other bank will not penalise me for drawing out money in a different province?

I'm not aware of any. Think 30 baht per transaction.

In any event nothing to do with the OP post.  Off topic.

Perhaps check banking forum.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So he obtained a certificate of residence from immigration with a visa exempt entry.

Do you know what immigration required from him? 

Not clear but appears he may of had a lease from his hotel or was TM30 sufficient. 

He had a copy of his passport ID page,  copy of TM.30 and a letter from the hotel saying he would be staying for six months I think. Once he got the resi cert he went along to BKKBK and opened the account.

He had to leave Thailand shortly after due to problems back home and only returned this weekend. I went along with him to the bank to pick up his ATM card.

Next job is the Non Imm O.

I think it was you who actually gave me some advice when helping him to do this back in January.

Edited by phetphet

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

He had a copy of his passport ID page,  TM.30 and a letter from the hotel saying he would be staying for six months I think. Once he got the resi cert he went along to BKKBK and opened the account.

I think it was you who actually gave me some advice when helping him to do this back in January.

Possibly the letter from hotel assisted.

Bit surprised that was sufficient however he got the account so all good.

Did he buy insurance?

Bangkok Bank often makes things easier if you buy insurance. 

• Haha 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Possibly the letter from hotel assisted.

Bit surprised that was sufficient however he got the account so all good.

Did he buy insurance?

Bangkok Bank often makes things easier if you buy insurance. 

I think he  did. I advised him to ask for it  as the girls get a commission, so it might help swing it.

He was lucky, as a week or so later, I went along to get a resi cert to change name on motorbike and Samui Imm Office refused. Said they have stopped issuing them.

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

, I went along to get a resi cert to change name on motorbike and Samui Imm Office refused. Said they have stopped issuing them.

Vaguely recall similar report.

Also not sure if Samui issue non O from visa exempt/tourist visa entries.

Bit of a nonsense immigration office imo. 

Guess Surat Thani an alternative. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not aware of any. Think 30 baht per transaction.

In any event nothing to do with the OP post.  Off topic.

Perhaps check banking forum.

"Think 30 baht per transaction." It depends on how much money you draw out in another province. I drew over 200.000Bt and my bank tried to charge me 280Bt Commission. It wasn't so much the money that bothered me, it was the theft from my bank.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2023 at 7:40 PM, Dan O said:

Not compleyely correct.  Many (including me) have gotten a bank account easily from Krungsri Bank while on Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa. No resident certificate or purchase of insurance needed. Just explain reasoning for the account is for retirement requirements. No guarantee but many have been successful in the last year 

Krungsri , SCB and Bangkok Bank told me no bank account without a certificate of residence due "New Rules".
I was told that the above was for over 50s planning on retiring. My (under 50) other half is not allowed one unless she has either an Elite visa, an ED visa or a work permit. She doesn't really need one anyway as can use her home account.
I'll sort the C of R this week and then open an account with one of them.

Edited by FreddieMercury

13 minutes ago, FreddieMercury said:

Krungsri , SCB and Bangkok Bank told me no bank account without a certificate of residence due "New Rules".

That is correct.

In your OP you stated the following.....

"I can get one with a Certificate of Residence on the long-term rental villa that I have. Am I correct in saying that?"....

Hopefully lease will be sufficient for them to issue you a certificate of. May ask also for TM30.

That would not be successful in Bangkok where they also require 90 day report.

Fortunately think you are obtaining bank account in another province. 

From my personal experience Kasikorn bank have been bit more flexible than Bangkok Bank. 

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is correct.

In your OP you stated the following.....

"I can get one with a Certificate of Residence on the long-term rental villa that I have. Am I correct in saying that?"....

Hopefully lease will be sufficient for them to issue you a certificate of. May ask also for TM30.

That would not be successful in Bangkok where they also require 90 day report.

Fortunately think you are obtaining bank account in another province. 

From my personal experience Kasikorn bank have been bit more flexible than Bangkok Bank. 

Thank you again for all your advice. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm sure it will be fine. Most things here seem to work out after a while. (I have a TM30 as well)

Edited by FreddieMercury
  • Thumbs Up 1