Anyone on here have any knowledge of leatherwork? In particular staining / coloring?

Kenny202

Interested in staining / coloring some leather bags (manufactured). A bit like staining wood I guess. Deep red tan sort of color.

This sort of look. I have seen bags like this clearly been redone possibly with dye, as you can see the color has seeped into

zippers etc. Over already colored / finished leather. Anyone have any knowledge? or can PM me if you like

Product photo of ครอสหนังแท้

• Like 1

Colouring already cured, tanned leather can be done with Carnauba wax. Various colours available at varying cost from Lazada. Recolouring leather can be done, but usually if going to a similar but darker colour.

Hope this helps? 

A very long time ago I worked in an artisanal leather shop..we are talking fifty years ago..we made  sandals ,bags ,belts , biker vests and literally thousands of holders for Bic lighters that you could wear around your neck.

Shipped them from Stockholm to Paris

I think 1972.

You can use wood stain ...much cheaper then actual leather dyes.Because of the solvent based it will dry the leather out so you need to apply some kind of leather care water proofing  product like  "Dubbin " or Sno seal.Practise on something that doesn't matter to get the color so it's  consistent with out streaks 

May I jump in here in hopes someone can help me with a similar situation?  I have chronic back pain and spent 19,000 THB on a Lazy-Boy office chair covered in faux leather. Most comfortable office chai I can possibly imagine and I was happy to make the investment.  However, the “leather” is peeling off into little pieces. A lot. Seems to be sprayed on. It been going on for about 5years and is about 7 years after the warranty expired.  Anyone know how to fix this damage done already?  TIA

On 3/25/2023 at 12:07 AM, keysersoze276 said:

May I jump in here in hopes someone can help me with a similar situation?  I have chronic back pain and spent 19,000 THB on a Lazy-Boy office chair covered in faux leather. Most comfortable office chai I can possibly imagine and I was happy to make the investment.  However, the “leather” is peeling off into little pieces. A lot. Seems to be sprayed on. It been going on for about 5years and is about 7 years after the warranty expired.  Anyone know how to fix this damage done already?  TIA

Exactly the same thing happened to my office chair, once it's started flaking off, it's done, the entire chair will soon be down to the fabric underneath and you'll have hundreds of black flakes all over the place as you're finding out. Nothing can stop it.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Exactly the same thing happened to my office chair, once it's started flaking off, it's done, the entire chair will soon be down to the fabric underneath and you'll have hundreds of black flakes all over the place as you're finding out. Nothing can stop it.

I think thats called bonded leather. Paper thin film of leather over fabric. I bought an expensive sofa same thing happened. And a very expensive office chair exactly as you describe. Still sweeping up flakes of it everywhere even tho I got shod of it 2 months ago. Full grain leather only way to go if you want leather. I got a faux leather captains chair when I got here 10 years ago and like new. 

On 3/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, bwanajohn said:

A very long time ago I worked in an artisanal leather shop..we are talking fifty years ago..we made  sandals ,bags ,belts , biker vests and literally thousands of holders for Bic lighters that you could wear around your neck.

Shipped them from Stockholm to Paris

I think 1972.

You can use wood stain ...much cheaper then actual leather dyes.Because of the solvent based it will dry the leather out so you need to apply some kind of leather care water proofing  product like  "Dubbin " or Sno seal.Practise on something that doesn't matter to get the color so it's  consistent with out streaks 

Hey John, finally got around to doing my project. Results pretty good but can't say it was a satisfying task lol. Prepped with deglazer. I read somewhere rubbing alcohol does the job and again a lot cheaper. The first coat all blotchy and uneven. Wasn't the same as the you tube videos where it seemed to just flow on smoothly. The second coat went on a lot better, bit like wood where the first coat seals it up and second coat glides over. it was over full grain nu buck style grainy natural leather so I guess it would apply much better on finished leather. Ended up using the proper Fiebings pro dye but its very expensive and used half a bottle on a very small bag. Will deffo use wood stain next time. 

A couple of questions if you can remember. Most of the people doing the how to videos use a sponge. Maybe I used the wrong sort of sponge but rubbing it over the leather ate the sponge up pretty quick and just found it impractical sponge sucking the stain up quicker than the leather. Do you remember what you used back in the day to apply the stain? To be honest I reckon a rag might be better.

Are you pretty generous with the stain like really wet your rag / sponge? I was trying to be a bit minimal as the dye so expensive and need some for another bag.

How should I finish the bag when the dye is dry? Do you reckon neutral shoe polish brushed then buffed up would do the job? Should I soften with mink oil first or after polishing? Appreciate your help old mate 

Edited by Kenny202