Russian Man Arrested on Pha-Ngan Island For 993 Days of Overstaying

webfact

28 minutes ago, Gandtee said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't think that'll fly, he could have asked for asylum 993 days ago.  Or maybe he just forgot that he needed asylum?

He didn't need it 993 days ago.

How could you know what a Russian, not returning to his home country in the best part of three years, needed?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Immigration officers in the area have been conducting patrols, which include legal passport checks.

Every now and then immigration officers have to conduct legal passport checks, in the interest of balance.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it doing a good thing ???

It highlights that people can potentially stay a few years before getting caught !!...

But really, what is the harm to the public caused by overs-stayers in Thailand ?

Are they draining any resources ? taking jobs from Thais ?... those sorts of usual excuses.

The only difference between this guy and a ThaiElite visa holder is the amount of money paid that permits circumnavigation of the regulations.

The point I want to make here is that the ‘over-stay’ itself harms no one - its just a law made up by a committee of policy makers, unless of course this guy was also involved in illegal activity to maintain is stay here.

I get that the overstay is wrong / illegal - but bigger picture thinking makes me wonder, what harm is it actually doing to anyone & why do some people want to see these over-stayers hung from the rafters ?  

Surely a country would want to control who comes and goes.  Is your opinion the same for other countries? Use resources paid for by local taxes?  The alternative of saying anyone can come and go from any country sounds impractical and chaotic for a range of reasons. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only difference between this guy and a ThaiElite visa holder is the amount of money paid that permits circumnavigation of the regulations.

And a little thing called the law. If you don't have the money or qualifications to qualify from the range of VISA programs then why on Earth would Thailand want you?

Deport!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

why do some people want to see these over-stayers hung from the rafters ?  

They are "envy" because they take the efforts needed to stay legal.

But would they (and I) change roles?

Sure not.

And the same people shouting throw them out (without being affected) might come from countries where zillions of illegal immigrants suck empty the social welfare, being highly over-proportional in drug dealing and other crimes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Wow at his age, he must either be from a rich Russian family, or had made lots of money before coming to Thailand.

He is now got to get some quick money to get a ticket to some other country or say a quick Hi to Vlad before visiting Ukraine

for a while. For now it will be bye bye Thailand.