Boris Johnson accepts he misled parliament over partygate - but says his statements were 'in good faith'

onthedarkside

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Johnson, your excuses about working hard don't justify your blatant disregard for the rules at the time. Doctors, nurses and others, working harder than you, followed the rules at great personal sacrifice 

Admit you're a liar who thinks he's above the law, you shameless, low down morally bankrupt wreck of a human being.

All Doctors, nurses and all others working harder than the PM never broke the rules?

Incorrect.

According to Johnson, parties to say goodbye to some colleagues who were leaving were "essential work related events"

I wonder how many other CEOs interpreted the instructions that way? It would also be interesting to know if Sir Chris Whitty and Sir Iain Vallance shared Johnson's interpretation? Unfortunately, I doubt that we will ever know.

25 minutes ago, RayC said:

According to Johnson, parties to say goodbye to some colleagues who were leaving were "essential work related events"

I wonder how many other CEOs interpreted the instructions that way? It would also be interesting to know if Sir Chris Whitty and Sir Iain Vallance shared Johnson's interpretation? Unfortunately, I doubt that we will ever know.

They (he) even had "official photographers" at some of the events in order to "officially" record/publish the event so they (he) must have felt they were legit!

41 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

They (he) even had "official photographers" at some of the events in order to "officially" record/publish the event so they (he) must have felt they were legit!

One of the 'leaving' civil servants wasn't even leaving then. His departure date was a month after 

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Whoever said all?

The PM set the rules. As leader of the government, if he couldn't follow his own rules, he should have  resigned.

Lead by example 

He couldn't follow rules why should he, his running the country for flig sake.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Actually why was the official photographer there? Was it really essential for official photographs to be taken? If so, why weren't they published on #10's website? I suspect that someone pointed out that it might not look good if they were released, and they were conveniently forgotten about until ITN managed to get hold of them.

In addition, if these "work" events were essential, why did the Met fine some individuals for being there? (although not Johnson amongst others for some reason?).

There are numerous other examples of Johnson's excuses not standing up to scrutiny: No. 10 was not an environment where social distancing was always possible. In that case, did no one think to move to another more suitable, secure unit in Whitehall where social distancing could have been observed?There couldn't have been a lack of available space given that most offices were empty.

For Johnson's excuses to hold water, he has to be considered an imbecile. Imo he is many things but not that. Moreover, unfortunately, as he himself said, he is not being investigated for his performance but for his honesty.

I can't claim to have read or listened to all of the evidence, however from the snippets I've seen and, despite all the circumstantial evidence, I would conclude, unfortunately, that there is not enough to categorically 'convict' Johnson of lying. He can claim to have been incompetent and stupid 

Imo this is a prime example of the Scottish 'Not Proven' verdict: I know you're lying; you know you're lying; the overwhelming majority of the public know that you are lying, we just can't prove categorically that you are lying.

• Confused 1