Uniform electricity rate to be charged for domestic and non-domestic users

webfact

image.png

Thailand’s Office of the Energy Regulatory Commission (OERC) has decided to impose a uniform electricity rate of 4.77 baht/unit for both household and non-household customers from May through August.

OERC Secretary-General Komkrit Tantravanich said that, at its meeting on Wednesday, the commission considered three options for electricity rates for the period and the feedback from the public on the options, as well as the recommendation from the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) about a suitable electricity rate.

The three options were 6.72 baht/unit rate if the Fuel Tariff (FT) is 293.60 satang/unit, 4.84 baht/unit if the FT is 105.25 satang/unit and 4.77 baht/unit if the FT is 98.27 satang/unit.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/uniform-electricity-rate-to-be-charged-for-domestic-and-non-domestic-users/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

So every suggested change, seems to get more and more expensive for grid users.

That's a damn shame.

_______  SOLAR  ________

Fee to use the sun remains the same, all year, every year.  UP2U

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Isn't it? Not that it being illegal would make any difference. The legality or otherwise of anything in Thailand is entirely irrelevant.

Yes illegal where there is more than a certain number of residents in a condo. But if you question the owner would probably put the rent up.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, WHansen said:

That's 11 years of electricity bills for me

Only around 3 years for me.

You can do a quick calculation of the costs and benefits.

Assume that the sun is bright enough to provide useful power on, say, 300 days a year, and that on average it results in peak output for 8 hours a day. These numbers are guesses and may well be very optimistic.

That means you'd get 40 units a day for 300 days, or 12,000 units of electricity a year, which is worth about 70K Baht/year to me as my house is in a company name so I currently pay the higher tariff. So in just 2 years, I'd pay off the capital cost, sounds worth it. But how over-optimistic are my assumptions? Plus with the reduction in the commercial tariff, the saving would be more like 60K Baht/year if they extend it permanently.

Any comments anyone, would be interested to hear how effective people who've actually installed solar panels find them?

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Ouch...... my monthly bill would be near 6000 if I had to pay that much. 

Ive had apartments where the elec was higher than the rent due to 9 baht per unit.   

Is it really illegal? The rate is mentioned in ads and Ive always received a detailed receipt.

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Last time, my landlady reduced the 'electricity rate' when the price was lowered, but raised the 'service fee for electricity use', meaning I still had to pay the same...

This is exactly what my landlord (apt) did. B300 said it was for lift which would break often down for a few days even not so rare occasions. I think they were on many months doing better then with the old rate

It took 1.5 years due to complications but we're gone.

Edited by Menken

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I would be happy with either rate. I pay 9 baht per unit.  ☹️

Ouch .....I pay the PEA bill and my rate here in PKK is from 3.2484 baht per unit up to 150 units which is at the low end and a high of 4.4217 Baht per unit for use of over 401 units.  My bill for this month which I just paid was 7,269 Baht, just waiting for April to arrive with the heat and the bill to rise up with the rates. We average using 1065 units a month.  Running the pool equipment, and drying the clothes in the dryer does add up with the use of the AC at night.  During the day we just run the fans. The average temp in the house during the day is 32......just think if I ran the AC during the day......

If I paid the 9 baht a unit you pay I would have a bill of close to 10k a month.

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

Assume that the sun is bright enough to provide useful power on, say, 300 days a year, and that on average it results in peak output for 8 hours a day. These numbers are guesses and may well be very optimistic.

That means you'd get 40 units a day for 300 days, or 12,000 units of electricity a year, which is worth about 70K Baht/year to me as my house is in a company name so I currently pay the higher tariff. So in just 2 years, I'd pay off the capital cost, sounds worth it. But how over-optimistic are my assumptions? Plus with the reduction in the commercial tariff, the saving would be more like 60K Baht/year if they extend it permanently.

Any comments anyone, would be interested to hear how effective people who've actually installed solar panels find them?

@Guderian

your calculation for a solar 5 kw/p is inaccurate in several ways.  

you will receive direct response from knowledgeable forum users,

better to ask your question here:

https://aseannow.com/forum/319-alternativerenewable-energy-forum/

21 hours ago, Guderian said:

How long will those expensive batteries last?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

just not in the burning season.

Still free, but God rations it out, as would hate to heat up the planet too fast.   Give them damn humans time to wake up & stop using fossil fuels for everything.

A work in progress, as you can only pull so any heads out of a$$holes without clogging the universal healthcare system.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

For any rental in Thailand, I would always insist on paying the metered rate. Allowing landlords to get away with marking up electricity is a crime. Don't do it. 

I agree with that, but good luck finding a landlord in an apartment that would do that. For rental of houses and condos, it absolutely should be a condition of the agreement to rent.

32 minutes ago, Sunderland said:

I agree with that, but good luck finding a landlord in an apartment that would do that. For rental of houses and condos, it absolutely should be a condition of the agreement to rent.

A good reason to avoid big buildings. I have friends who spend an extra 1000 baht a month, or more on electric. That has to be factored into the rent. Still a bargain? I know guys who rent nice 3 bedroom homes for 10,000 a month in smaller towns. And they pay electric at the meter rates. No landlord extortion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

For any rental in Thailand, I would always insist on paying the metered rate. Allowing landlords to get away with marking up electricity is a crime. Don't do it. 

I don't see why a tenant allowing a landlord to charge their own rate is a crime? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2023 at 7:47 PM, bang saen guy said:

What is the current rate?

Well, having attacked my latest bill with a calculator and Google Translate, as far as I can see, with the quoted fuel tariff of 93 satang per unit I am paying 4.37 Baht per unit, discounted (unsure why the discount, it is virtually the same as the fuel tariff) to 3.44 Baht per unit.

I live in Rural Chiang Rai, used 140 units last month, always say a cheery hello to the meter reader and let the young lady in the local PEA office practice her English on me when I go to pay!

The amount used is up by 26 units this month, but I have been cooking using electricity rather than gas, including baking my own bread in one of those halogen ovens; and of course in the last couple of weeks starting to use fans a bit more as it warms up.

Interestingly Google Translate also tells me that my garden is 128.86 meters from the government!

So, if the discount continues, a small rise.

If the discount ends a whopping 25% rise.

Edited by herfiehandbag