Italian businessman killed as motorcycle taxi collides with forklift

webfact

6 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

You know I'm not surprised that there are not more forklift accidents/fatalities. 

Many drivers screech around with these 3-10 ton machines like a F1 car. 

Stupid is as stupid does. 

Yes, they are very Dangerous pieces of Kit Fork Lifts ! ... I wonder if they have to have a special license to drive one as they do in other Places ... Like Crain Driving, forklift Drivers are usually Lifers also !!! and well it wreaks their backs also, as they have No ? Or Minimal springs, as they have to lift stuff up. ... Plenty of Folang Ex Fork Lift drivers in this country too I would say. ... Maybe one could post for us here !!! ??? ... I had better loo below I guess ? 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Absolutely shocking disregard to safe working procedures by the warehouse company, driving a fork lift with raised forks back and forth across a road to unload a truck.

Hmmm, well Yes, ! ... But it was an Industrial road by the Look of it ? ... Like drive down an Industrial road and takes your Chances ! ? 

• Like 1

What the heck? Is this for real? 

little/no chance of then being fired or suspended. 

"An ambulance was parked nearby, but the staff said the vehicle was “not ready” to help the injured" 

Stupid me - I thought ambulances were there to help those injured or medical emergency.......

It might not have had a crew ?

5 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

I drive one. It's common knowledge (where I am) you don't drive around with the forks more than a few inches off the ground. 

Yes, I think that we have it here ... right on.... and thanks Harry.

• Like 1

So he was riding pillion on a motor cycle taxi. From the small photo it looks like both were wearing helmets.

The burning question is...... How did the driver avoid getting impaled when the passenger had a massive chest wound?

5 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

What a way to dye, must have had lots off pain. 
blind taxi drive, stopit forklift driver, but we are in Thailand,, expect the unexpected…..

R.I.P. mister.

Yes I would not give the Motor Dop a Clean ass Either !!! He hit the fork life !!!!  ... But Very Sad and for both of them. (Like his business would probably be <Deleted> now also ??? ... and a trip to the temple for a month or so to make amenz ??? 

• Confused 1

You know I'm not surprised that there are not more forklift accidents/fatalities. 

Many drivers screech around with these 3-10 ton machines like a F1 car. 

Stupid is as stupid does. 

There are more, last week I saw a movie from a woman also driving a motorbike passing a forklift with the fork half a way, and she hit so too, I don't know if she passed away.

BTW, my son  trades in forklifts in Europe, and I ask him or there also many accidents, he denied that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

True negligence, may the deceased RIP.  

Probably a case of 'not qualified', no doctor, just a nurse and transport staff, they couldn't have helped anyway with such horrific injuries. I was told by a hospital doctor that most ambulances don't even have a paramedic on board, just 'first aid knowledge' transport staff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. But Thailand has different driving 'skills' and they are too stupid to realise that what this driver was doing is dangerous. It simply would never occur to them.

… Yes, they do tend to go for the Fast Option pretty well all of the time, don't they !. ...  The Thai’s !

But possibly this poor fellow that was just killed, being a Folang, might ! bring some change, … As well I DO know that they CAN change if they want to, or are forced to, or coached in to it. ... Like not being able to buy beer in Servos on the highway anymore !!!  Just One, but well a GREAT change, and only one of MANY good changes which the Thais HAVE been able to get done !!! ... And they still can do others also ! (Like we are starting to get close to the Over Regulated ? West ? Right ?)

… Like maybe Fork Lift Licenses ? ... And differing company Policy, like Forks DOWN ! ? At all times unless dealing with a load ? …  ... Though well, they possibly may have both of there already ? I will ask. … Like this fork lift Driver SHOULD have just known out right ! I think ? … To have lowered his Forks !  …. As all the Real operators here have posted. ... Thanks Fellows, and let’s hope that the Thais can get this one changed also. ... For every ones Benefit !

… And well a warning sign at the start of the Street also and a speed limit could be in Order, if they are going to use it as a Loading area.

… I will have to ask my Step Son who drives Trucks and is 100% at it ( He has his own Company Truck, which only he drives. ) … I will ask him where he gets loaded, like he has to wait about 2 Hrs. usually, at both ends ! (So he sleeps in the Cab, ) …. so well ? …. He probably is loaded in the Yard ?... and his truck would probably be the same as the one being loaded here. … A 6 wheel Logistics Truck, where the sides can come off, so that can Load it from any angle. ... Usualy a 10 to 12 Hr. trip.

They are BIG trucks even with only 6 wheels, like it is a ton and a half ? Per Wheel I think ? … And they can put extra on Police sanctions but on the quiet, well, previously, if they have Double Breaking reservoirs.  Like once again the Thais actually being Pragmatic and practical.

But these Logistic trucks, usually only carry Bulkier but light things, like consumer Goods from the Port to smaller, probably company Ware houses up country. Like motor spare parts etc. …

(I will cut this end bit off if it is too much. – Sorry.)

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Homburg said:

Wow.  RIP Pietro.  A million ways to die in LOS!  Perhaps there should be a private room for all visitors to the Kindom to enter, just before they pass through immigration, where they can bend down, put their head between their legs, and kiss their ass goodbye.

There is such a place, it's called "left luggage". It's where they take their brain out of their head and put it in a locker before proceding into Thailand.

Not what happened in this case though, RIP to the guy.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Yes, all good rules and laws that they have never heard of in this country.

Or don't care, that's also possible of course, I lean towards the latter is my experience.

Well that might be the Way it is now ! ? .... But the Thai's CAN Change !!! ... Like they CAN change vert fast you know, ... if they want to and it is some benefit in it for them !!! ... Like the No alcohol for sail in the Road side filling stations ! they got that one done and that was just a Bloody HUGE problem.

... Yes about 5 Years ago I had Picked up a six pack in the 7-11 put it in between the seats, or a long neck, and just wheeled it back out on to the Asia Highway !!!  ( Just once, but you could do it. ) ... But well You CAN NOT do that any more !!! even if you wanted to and well NO ONE drinks and drives from what I have seen. And well just GREAT For That !!!

Like after this unfortunate incident with the Fork Lift they very well, COULD start requiring Licenses ? or most defiantly ! Lowered forks before driving away !!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

So he was riding pillion on a motor cycle taxi. From the small photo it looks like both were wearing helmets.

The burning question is...... How did the driver avoid getting impaled when the passenger had a massive chest wound?

Every accident has its own unique set of characteristics. Had the fork lift driver pulled out 1 sec earlier, it could have been the driver who took the impact, 1 sec later and he might have missed both of them. 

That's luck or fate however you want to see it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smew said:

RIP youn man:: typical driving in Thailand: put motorbike driver in jail for few years and maybe, maybe it will teach very few others to drive with more care!!  

Why the motorcycle rider? It was the fork lift driver who pulled out into the lane. He even admitted it.

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

This is horrific - a horrible way to go: RIP.

As usual... IF just one of those parties were acting with any sense of caution this would not have happened. So many incidents in Thailand involve complete failings of safety by both parties. 

In this case:

1) A motorcycle taxi gunning it down a narrow soi without any consideration of others or caution.

2) A forklift truck driver moving without looking, without anyone looking out and with the forks at a dangerous (deadly) height. 

This is also the reason I never take Motorcycle taxi’s... Putting my safety in the hands of someone who is uneducated and has little safety awareness is not my idea of convenience, there is the additional facet of the crappy helmet they give the passenger, if they give a helmet at all.

I’m surprised there are no more incidents involving passengers on Motorcycle taxis.

AND,.. in the interview with the fork lift truck driver... he comments.. “I didn’t see” !!!!...  well of course he didn’t, he has to ‘look’ to be able to see !!! and it clearly didn’t look before he drove out from behind the lorry with the forks raised. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Yes, they are very Dangerous pieces of Kit Fork Lifts ! ... I wonder if they have to have a special license to drive one as they do in other Places ... Like Crain Driving, forklift Drivers are usually Lifers also !!! and well it wreaks their backs also, as they have No ? Or Minimal springs, as they have to lift stuff up. ... Plenty of Folang Ex Fork Lift drivers in this country too I would say. ... Maybe one could post for us here !!! ??? ... I had better loo below I guess ? 

????????????  Many here don't even have a driving license, and you're asking about a fork lift license?!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, sabai-dee-man said:

????????????  Many here don't even have a driving license, and you're asking about a fork lift license?!

Motor cycle licenses or registration any way ... The proletariats Transport, and socially pretty hard for them to Police. I would say ? ... Like imagine the trouble if they took all of the Un Registered Motor cycles off of the road !!! and they have tried I think !!!!

But I bet that nearly All Truck Drivers have Licenses though ! Like Industrial applications ??? ... and most cars. ... Like people with something to loose ???

Like I bet that they could Force all Fork lift drivers to have Special licenses, if they wanted to !!! ??? ( If there was any thing in it for them ! ? I guess ??? )

8 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Like the No alcohol for sail in the Road side filling stations ! they got that one done and that was just a Bloody HUGE problem.

... Yes about 5 Years ago I had Picked up a six pack in the 7-11 put it in between the seats, or a long neck, and just wheeled it back out on to the Asia Highway !!!  ( Just once, but you could do it. ) ... But well You CAN NOT do that any more !!! even if you wanted to and well NO ONE drinks and drives from what I have seen. And well just GREAT For That !!!

The alcohol ban was introduced in 2008 and they started to strictly enforce it in 2009.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nahkit said:

The alcohol ban was introduced in 2008 and they started to strictly enforce it in 2009.

So well that makes it 14 years since I was able to miss behave ! ... well maybe I did nit notice it until a few years after 2009 ! ? 

16 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

I drive one. It's common knowledge (where I am) you don't drive around with the forks more than a few inches off the ground. 

Thailand really needs to start imposing damage compensations in the tens of millions of baht on companies for safety rule infractions causing injuries or death.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, smew said:

RIP youn man:: typical driving in Thailand: put motorbike driver in jail for few years and maybe, maybe it will teach very few others to drive with more care!!  

surely you mean the forklift driver ? did you even read the op?

Direct news from a THAI truck driver.

He gets loaded in the Depot all of the time. I did not push him on Fork lift licences as well Thai people like every one else dis like government i interfearance. (For reasons  I had better not go on about here. ) but I will ask later. ... He is goimg out on night shift now.

He said the fork lifts here in his depot and he implies across the board ! ... Like Thai's are conformist so you can believe him, ... and he said that they have to have their foŕks at ground level ! ... But OR,  at well above head height !!! ... Like deliberately not at the human bodies levels..

I imagine the guy loading in the street would have had problems of keeping them at ground level due to the un even tersain ! ...

So all you good "Internatipnsl" Fork lift drivers ! ? God bless your good Soules !!!!! 

What do ypy think about that one ? You can just keep the fotks well sbove hrsd height ? ... And continue on ??? ... Like TIT. This Is Thailand ?  Is it ?

Edited by Mark mark
Ouch screen Speling as usual

On 3/25/2023 at 5:19 AM, twix38 said:

near-by ambulance not ready to try to save a life!

It's so much easier to meet your maker living in Thailand....more risks taken and more danger present. Must be due another regular balcony flying event soon!

Meanwhile wear plenty of sun lotion SP50.

????Number one stupid comment to this topic????????????

13 hours ago, Mark mark said:

What do ypy think about that one ?

I think you may need to turn on autocorrect !!! ????

Seriously though...  I imagine that in most if not all industrial environments which involve the use of fork-lift trucks there is a policy to either have the forks at ground level or above head-height (as you mentioned).

But, ignoring the silly political laws (defamation etc), on the ground level Thailand is a country with many reasonable laws and regulations which mirror the same regulations and policies we see in the west. The difference is the apathy shown towards these regulations and policies because they are a) not enforced and b) there is a lack of understanding of why these laws exist in the first place.

As such, those workers in the work environment habitually take short-cuts which places themselves and others at risk. 

Small and medium businesses can’t afford to pay someone dedicated to the oversight of HSE, thus the short cuts become the every day norm and we see horrific accidents such as this. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1